Upgrade Project: Silver Sky Tuner Swap

Congrats. My only caution with the tuners is for neck diving. They do add weight to the head stock. I opted to use phase 3 tuners on my 594 thinline to minimize this. It’s such a crazy light guitar. It’s not an issue on single cuts that are heavier. They were fine on my silver skies which had some decent weights.

Anyone know if the S2 locking tuners will fit into a SS se with no mods?

Good question. I'd personally say no, but as was suggested with previous folks who've asked questions like yours, my response has been, call PRS Customer Service (phone number available on their website) and ask to speak with their tech crew. If you're not in a hurry, you can send them an email also from their Contact Us link.

For the more adventurous, here's John Mann's website, where you can scroll through his parts supply. His pages can tell you what will fit.
You'll need to be sure that you select Vintage Locking Tuners, rather than SE Locking, which will not fit an SS/SE. I do know that core model Phase I, II, & III locking tuners will not fit an SE.

(From research, I've not seen any mention of S2 locking tuners; they may be related to core model tuners, but again, that's a question to be answered by either PRS Customer Service or someone else who can answer.)

John Mann's Guitar Vault

Last edited:

No. The SS has vintage style tuners. Just look at these vs the SS and you can see the difference between the styles.

ulF4Cda.jpg
Took advantage of the holiday accessories sale to upgrade the tuners on my Silver Sky - who doesn’t love the open back Phase 3’s? As already noted they’re a perfect drop in - but wanted to share the back of the headstock for reference, so folks can see the added bonus that the left over impressions from the Kluson style backs are barely visible on the not-so-glossy maple.

Back