Trying to get Santana on my PRS-MESA BOOGIE RECTO VERB 25. I have a few pedals but still can't get a real good clean Santana sound. Need help.

BIGABANALES

Trying to get Santana on my PRS-MESA BOOGIE RECTO VERB 25. I have a few pedals but still can't get a real good clean Santana sound. Need help.

What instrument are you using?
Both of my Santana's ( Westie and PS semi) nail the tone clean or high gain without pedals .
Carlos's formula : dime the amp, use the guitar controls for everything , he uses a switcher between his Dumble/Boogie/PRS to get the required flavors.

Last edited:
OP you're lucky enough to be hearing from someone that did exactly what you are trying to do with a PRS & a Recto, and did some Carlos tribute gigs, so it can be done. Contrary to what many believe Carlos does not max out his gain to achieve his tone, it's usually set around 6-7 on that early Boogie, so on a recto you will have to set it even lower as the gain structure is more modern & higher.

The gauge I used was to have the gain set so that when I roll my volume down on my guitar to about 2-3 I could play chords with just a touch of distortion breakup but still hear the clarity of the chord. That tone you hear on the rhythm of "Evil Ways" & "Oye Coma Va". With this setting I was usually able to roll the volume knob on my axe up to 8-9 to get the soaring lead tones Carlos has.

Some other factors to keep in mind

- Instrument, if you're not using a Santana model to do this.... well...;), but other PRS models can get very close, I did it with a custom 22.

- Tone, you have to roll back your highs on your gtr & amp, almost to where the bottom strings sound almost tubby. That way the screaming leads on the top strings aren't shrill, piercing, and making your neighbors dog's ears implode.

- Volume, it's extra hard to do this at low volume.

- Effects, Carlos is pretty old school and quite sparing on the pedals & processing. Outside of some wah & a pinch of verb, it's pretty simple.

It's a bit of a balancing act but once I had it all working together I was able to get close enough to do some Carlos tribute shows with a 50w Rectoverb.

Back