Refinishing my McCarty, need help choosing a color.

pwrmac7600

So as the title says, I have a 2002 McCarty currently finished in Gray Black. The finish has hazing all over the place and with the current color, looks like a hot mess. No definition in the top, and the hazing looks horrible.
So I am going to send it off to the PTC for a refin.

I was really hoping to get an opaque finish done on it, preferably in Platinum Metallic, But alas, PRS will not do it since it is not a current production color.
Currently PRS only has a few opaque finishes in their lineup for me to choose from. Black, Antique White, gold, and Mahi Blue. None of which really do it for me. Although i think if push came to shove i would just pick black and be done with it. BUT, for the money it is going to cost i really would like to get something i really really like.

The top on my McCarty is nothing to write home about. flamey but nowhere near a 10 top. Which means any fancy finishes i get are not going to look anywhere near as good as they do in all the photos on the prs site, because those are all 10 tops.
Currently my thoughts are falling to the following finishes.

Black, All Gold, Charcoal Burst, and something is drawing me to the Cobalt smokeburst. again, my only worry is that with the fancier finishes, it will come out underwhelming since my top is just kinda blah.

Below is a shot of my guitar as it currently sits.
curious to hear opinions on what finish i should go with.
Ie34BXV.jpeg

I think that's a pretty nice top and wouldn't rule out a burst... I've seen amazing ones on maple tops with zero flame if done well.
Yeah with how dark the coloring currently is it is hard to tell how good the top is. After i just took that photo i actually said to myself hmm more flame than i thought. again it is just so hard to tell in person because of the current dark coloring, and the hazing in the finish.

Can't go wrong with black gold or yellow/orange tiger, IMO. And McCarty Burst always looks good on a McCarty, even if it doesn't have a super flashy top. Kinda like the vintage LP's that have faded over the years into that color.

Heck, I'd even take the gold top, natural back. But, that's me.

I'd say that top looks like it has a lot of figuring but let down a bit by the 'contrast'. Some maybe prefer the more subtle aesthetic this provides instead of highlighting the figuring, it's not as extreme as an Opaque solid colour finish but not as contrasty as the Charcoal example above.

Its up to you, but if you want to bring more of the figuring out, you'll need to go for a greater contrast.

Bummer with the Platinum Metallic. I was actually considering to get one of my guitars refinished and Platinum Metallic was one of the options I considered. Can they do one of the Silver Sky opaque finishes? Tungsten is kinda close.

I will echo others, that top is not that bad at all

Bummer with the Platinum Metallic. I was actually considering to get one of my guitars refinished and Platinum Metallic was one of the options I considered. Can they do one of the Silver Sky opaque finishes? Tungsten is kinda close.

I will echo others, that top is not that bad at all
So i went back and forth with Bindu. Originally i was going to get my 2005 Refinished, which is already platinum metallic, that one they said they can do in that color since it is already that color. But then i decided i wanted to put the money more into the 2002, and then i was told, sorry can't do that, can only refinish in it's original color, or one of the current core colors, and even at that it has to be approved by the PTC. Guessing they there are some colors that are harder to get out of the grain when stripping, so they want to approve if they think it is possible.
If he told me today they would do the platinum metallic i would absolutely go with that color, but....
Asked about the Tungsten as well, and that is considered an "artist" color which is not an option.

I'd go McCarty burst, but I'm not a big fan of blacks/grays. Something lighter will make the figuring in that top pop a lot more.
I hear ya, just wanted to stay away from "traditional". I gave a bunch of Les Pauls that kina all have those more traditional finishes. So I feel like i want something different than those.

I should also add, i believe i can pick from the S2 colors as well, because Bindu was the one who referred me to the Mahi blue opaque color, which is only available on the S2 line. So I take that as i can choose from those colors as well. but for the most part they are the same colors.

So i went back and forth with Bindu. Originally i was going to get my 2005 Refinished, which is already platinum metallic, that one they said they can do in that color since it is already that color. But then i decided i wanted to put the money more into the 2002, and then i was told, sorry can't do that, can only refinish in it's original color, or one of the current core colors, and even at that it has to be approved by the PTC. Guessing they there are some colors that are harder to get out of the grain when stripping, so they want to approve if they think it is possible.
If he told me today they would do the platinum metallic i would absolutely go with that color, but....
Asked about the Tungsten as well, and that is considered an "artist" color which is not an option.
I don't know what to suggest. From the current catalogue I always liked the yellow tiger. I'm not really into blue, green or purple stuff.

If Charcoal isn't really your thing, maybe go for a Charcoal Cherry Burst...

yeGur6L.jpg

I think this is a very PRS and not a 'traditional' style of burst at all...
Gonna be honest, not really my thing. even on my Les Pauls, I have never really been a fan of perimeter bursts. I dig more tear drop bursts. which i know, is very "traditional" lol

Back