thoughts regarding signal cutting out (solved)

Kabukiman

Entry level PRS owner
Problem solved, thanks.

Multiple tube failure - bad luck!

Last edited:
Bad flux capacitor, wouldn't you agree, guys?

Maybe next time don't buy such a huge and powerful amp that needs to be attenuated. ;)

Last edited:
Cold solder joint somewhere in the attenuator circuit, perhaps? I've never experienced total volume drop before. I've had a couple of tube amps that would lose volume after about 20 minutes of playing. Turned out to be a power problem.

I knew this would happen

Well, ya know...come on the PRS forum, ask a question about an amp PRS doesn't make...

Come on, man.

And the answer is blindingly obvious, anyway. You said it yourself.

Last edited:
Well, ya know...come on the PRS forum, ask a question about an amp PRS doesn't make...

Come on, man.

And the answer is blindingly obvious, anyway. You said it yourself.

I was actually having a laugh with you at your reply. You misunderstood

At the end of the day this is a forum full of guitarists and I'm not seeing a t&c about discussing other gear. For the sake of ten seconds to write the post I thought it worth asking in case someone had a suggestion.

The answer actually wasn't blindingly obvious. Both the power tube and preamp tube were failing at the same time, the attenuator had no bearing on this, it was just coincidence when the signal cut. They have been replaced, and the amp is back to it's boxy little normal self.

Bodia, cheers mate I already checked the solder joints as best as I could. If I run into any more trouble with this it's going in the bin anyway, it's lasted pretty well for a little practice amp to throw in the car and take around.

Last edited:
I was actually having a laugh with you at your reply. You misunderstoodaround.

Sorry about that!

I The answer actually wasn't blindingly obvious. Both the power tube and preamp tube were failing at the same time, the attenuator had no bearing on this, it was just coincidence when the signal cut.

Always suspect the tubes first! So...semi-blindingly obvious. :)

I have seen tubes are pretty cheap in the US - but here they are quite pricey! I have had really awful luck lately with them - nearly every one I have had delivered was faulty out of the box, or died shortly after installation

I have been buying single power tubes though and I am not sure if vendors here test those. Perhaps I should start buying pairs and hope it means someone has tested them properly?

Always buy power tubes in pairs. Preamp tubes, it doesn't matter. Buy from reputable sources, though I understand that international shipping isn't always an easy option in some places of the world. And not exactly something you can buy in the Duty Free shop. And unless you mention it, we don't have any idea where in the world you reside. Or your amp. ;) Maybe I missed something, too.

Always buy power tubes in pairs. Preamp tubes, it doesn't matter. Buy from reputable sources, though I understand that international shipping isn't always an easy option in some places of the world. And not exactly something you can buy in the Duty Free shop. And unless you mention it, we don't have any idea where in the world you reside. Or your amp. ;) Maybe I missed something, too.
haha I live in a small town in Victoria, Australia. (So does this shitty little amp).

I buy tubes from local vendors, one here in this state and one in the neighbouring state SA.

I figured it safer than buying from overseas, because hopefully these pricks have looked them over and discarded damaged ones already/tested them. I guess not? who knows. It's old world tech with old world problems (although I am led to believe they did manufacture tubes much, much better in the day - I have a bunch fo vintage radios and radiolas with original valves that still work...).

Back