Balancing SE HBII Piezo Signal Output?

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
I'll be honest, it's got me a bit stymied. Jeez.

IIRC, the MIX output of the SE HBII Piezo combines both magnetic and piezo pickups, which is controlled by the guitar's volume knob.

The PIEZO output of the SE HBII Piezo outputs the piezo signal from the guitar, and the volume of the piezo is controlled by the BLEND knob of the SE HBII Piezo.

When you plug 2 instrument cables into the guitar and route them to separate inputs on either a guitar modeler, amp, or PA, supposedly the signal is amplified together if both processor or PA inputs combine before being amplified. In a modeler, doing so amplifies the PIEZO louder than the magnetic pickups, because both blend together prior to amplification, and the blend knob only increases/decreases the piezo signal output.

Correct me on this, please, because this is where I think the problem lies: Likewise, the SE HBII MIX output will be amplified louder than the PIEZO output only if the MIX input is amplified, with the PIEZO input joining the signal path post-amp. Since the piezo is an active pickup, the signal is essentially loud enough that with proper adjustments, could be allowed to pass through the signal chain unamplified, but still enjoy the benefits of pre and post effects.

If any of you has some technical expertise regards balancing the MIX & PIEZO outputs of your HBII Piezo, please chime in and lend a hand.

My current signal path combines both the MIX & PIEZO outputs before my amp/cab in Fractal FM3. It's relatively easy to re-route signal paths so as to avoid unnecessary issues, but I'd like your thoughts on how one connects both the MIX & PIEZO jacks to whatever amp sources you currently employ.

Thanks in advance...

Well, this is embarrassing. What originally was thought to be MAG/PIEZO & PIEZO output jacks on my PRS SE HBII Piezo are actually MIX/PIEZO & MAG output jacks. That means that only the MIX/PIEZO jack supplies the piezo output to my FM3 unit. And connecting the MAG output as well as the MIX/PIEZO output does not increase the benefit of any audio output.

With that in mind, the following MAG/PIEZO preset was created to reflect the single input (IN 1) of utilizing either the MIX/PIEZO or MAG outputs, but not both.

Apparently, the volume balance is found within the SE HBII Piezo's volume and blend knobs when connected to the MIX/PIEZO output, not within the FM3's IN 1 / IN 2.

SJFGkRq.png

Back