The Official "Singlecut 594" Love Thread!!

Thanks! It is growing on me that it is more subtle and vintage. There will be plenty of opportunity for future Private Stock 594s to be more flashy! :)

At first I was a bit bummed that it was more so a Matte finish versus the Semi-Gloss of the Prototype, but it is growing on me. It adds to the subtleness of the look. You can see it a bit better in this pic:

cfQGyYI.jpg

And the Matte finish on the neck feels AMAZING!

nVcdrIK.jpg

(Over time if it wears on me, I can always send it in for a refin, I have done that with a couple of Private Stocks previously, and they turned out great. Takes a long time though...)

I got some time to play it over the weekend - WOW! The tones are really amazing. The Prototype still trumps all guitars I have ever played for that classic Singlecut sort of tone, thick and beefy, the holy grail tone that makes that guitar a destination of sorts.

This one is more open and airy, more sparkly, without at all being overly bright. I am running it into a Plexi voiced amp, and with medium rock sort of gain, it sounds incredible. You can really manage the tone well both in the neck and bridge pickups with the volume and tone controls. I love that about 2 vol 2 tone guitars, set the amp once and control with volume and tone from there.

One interesting note re the pickups - on my solidbody SC 594s, I have often found the stock 5815 LT bridge pickup to sometimes seem a little weak, as commented by others here. (Turn on a Boost pedal and the problem is solved, but still sub-optimal sometimes.) That was not at all the case with my SC 594 SH from a couple of years ago, and not at all the case with this one either. Weird! I don't think I will bother to swap pickups in this guitar, these sound terrific in there.

(On the Prototype, I am finding the 5909 Bridge in there now a tad hot, I am going to experiment with some other pickups again in that one...)

Anyway, I am really digging this one so far re tone and feel, which at the end of the day is more important than the nuances of the appearance! ;)

If you’re going to experiment, check out some Klein Epic ‘59s. They should be right in your wheelhouse.

The Prototype has sounded amazing with just about every set I have tried in there
It’s always the guitar. It’s the constant. That has been my personal experience. It’s the cake, pudding, icing. You can typically hear it in the acoustic tone itself.

Pickups are more like a bonus, a cherry on the icing for me.

Okay, so I am ready to explain. I put one in the oven way back in March of 2017. Here is the Wood:

R0aXIxj.jpg

WyR81ks.jpg

90JhqgA.jpg

I dig One-Piece Quilts on my Private Stocks! Over the years that has been my primary go-to.

It made various appliances on PSF over the summer of 2018 (SC 594 SH in Citrine Glow without a Smokeburst):

8NzW5it.jpg

BzxcGXq.jpg

KZb5wIg.jpg

68tKNuL.jpg

It showed up on "the couch" at the dealer in September of 2018:

piqDDTd.jpg

po30CLV.jpg

But at the time I chose not to take it, as I was still in my cranky / hiatus stage ;), and I wasn't 100% satisfied with how the finish turned out. (I was expecting/hoping for more "Glow" contrast in the center...)

Fast forward here 16 months, I am back from hiatus and over it, and lucky for me the guitar had not sold (I am not sure how on Earth that is possible, it is a pretty killer guitar!). It showed up here this morning!

o27GgiB.jpg

I was going for a more subtle vintage look, so I didn't do a Smokeburst this time around, versus the 4 previous Citrus Glow Private Stocks I have done. It came out very "pedestrian" in look and vibe relative to most of my previous Private Stocks, but that is okay I guess, it is pretty subtle and vintage. I also asked for the Semi-Gloss Nitro like my Prototype has, I really love that about the Prototype. This one is more Matte/Satin than Semi-Gloss, which makes it even more subtle.

So far it is great, I appreciate the lighter weight (almost a pound lighter than the Prototype), and it sounds different, but amazing in its own way.

And of course it has Blade Knots, because those are my favorite PRS Private Stock inlays! :)

I guess I am back for real now...
Vintage and subtle is awesome, it's stunning actually, the color is warm and more natural to the eye, congrats Pete.

Back