The next Klon

GuitarAddict

Anyone have one piece of gear that is a sleeper or that surpassed their expectations that is far from a popular piece of gear for whatever reason, could well be the next Klon???
For me it’s the Blackstar HT Dual and HT Metal valve pedals. The Metal received rave reviews when it was realeased and I bought one on the strength and that I really liked the Dual and the Metal was supposed to be better with great harmonic over tones and suited to blues and rock too. The real surprise for me was the speaker emulated output. I feel that if more people knew about this excellent feature then the pedals would be a lot more sought after on the used market. There are still a few new to be had at very cheap prices.
The pedal is fully analogue with no IRs or anything like that. The emulated output is way way better than that of my katana. I only found out by accident as I was looking for a direct signal to use through my monitors and headphones and I’ve ended using it all the time now. The speaker emulator also works in bypass mode so I can plug my Yamaha DG1000 into it and use that straight to mixer as well. Very versatile.
Anyone else???

Last edited:
A couple years back, I once owned a Decibelics 'Golden Horse' that did the Klon thing quite well. About $205 back then shipped direct from Barcelona, hand-numbered, built one-at-a-time by Guillelme, his last name escapes me...you can find his work online if you search for Decibelics...mini-pedal format, intricate black and gold design, quality parts...repaired my pedal (broken input jack) and shipped it back to me no charge...offered to reimburse my shipping costs to him; I said thanks, but his kindness for the repair and free shipping was enough...

Others might suggest the Wampler Tumnus...

Last edited:
I wasn’t actually after Klon klones. I think that’s been done to death. I was more along the lines of is there a piece of gear you own that may achieve the same status as the Klon that is so far under the radar.
But nice story all the same. The only boutique builder i ever had the misfortune to try and return a pedal i had mail ordered and didn’t like was rude and obnoxious and seemed to take it as a personal insult that his high end hand built pedal didn’t fit in with my rig. He will remain nameless.

Try the Analogman King of Tone version IV. The clean boost is probably the best on the market, and the overdrive/distoration side is very articulate and flexible. I bought both of mine 10+ years ago for $250.00 each.. Unfortunately, they are more than double that now, but are $2000.00 less than a Klon.
For a sleeper try the Rockett Archer..for about $200.00, it does the Klon thing very well. I have both of these on my pedalboard, and works well with Marshall, Fender and Dr. Z amps.

I doubt an amp will ever get into "cult status" like a Klon pedal BUT stranger things have happened. :)

My sleeper is a pedal I have used since they were released and has been in my rigs in some format since the company's inception and that would be an ISP Decimator pedal or rack unit. It has and continues to surpass my expectations. Will a noise gate ever reach Klon status? I doubt it.

I have had a few pieces of gear that surpassed my expectations and that I think are cool niche things. The Fryette Power Station and the Fryette Power Load IR. Boss Waza Tube Amp Expander. Boss ES-8 Switcher. Kemper. None of what I mentioned would be sleep gear in my opinion but I do find them to be cutting edge. :)

This thread is interesting....watching to see how many Klon Klone recommendations get thrown out. Just to add a little fuel to that fire and be naughty I will simply say "Klon? why not just get the KTR pedal?" ;)

The thing that made the Klon so useful is that it could be left on most, if not all, of the time. The same could be said of the Tube Screamer in the types of music that made it iconic. One pedal I think had a shot at the same sort of “always on” usefulness is the Chase Tone Secret Preamp. I love what it does, adding that little something back to your signal without sounding fake or inflated. It is a recreation of the pre used in the Echoplex, a box that many players use for the preamp effect alone (ie; without the tape loop). The Secret Preamp has switches to represent the three versions of the original, as some favor particular year ranges.

Not as sexy as an overdrive or multi-tap delay, but a genuinely useful enhancement to your complete guitar tone, and a real secret weapon that several well known players rely on.

All this Klon talk motivated me to find the cheapest Klon clone kit, $42, and purchase. Time for another build!

Just buy one pre-built. Same cost! (OK not as fun, just ignore me)

For me, it’s not a Klon, or it’s kloned kousin.

It’s Mesa Studio 22. I’ve had and used it for the past 28 years. Thanks to this forum I’m getting best tones I have ever had.

An attenuator, also a suggestion of this forum, helped immensely.

It’s tones were “sleeping” inside. I just needed to let them escape!

Just buy one pre-built. Same cost! (OK not as fun, just ignore me)

For me, it’s not a Klon, or it’s kloned kousin.

It’s Mesa Studio 22. I’ve had and used it for the past 28 years. Thanks to this forum I’m getting best tones I have ever had.

An attenuator, also a suggestion of this forum, helped immensely.

It’s tones were “sleeping” inside. I just needed to let them escape!
Yeah I'm a builder I enjoy that part.

However I didn't really contribute to the OP...

Mine would be the Bose F1 812 and F1 Sub. Playing any guitar straight into that will tell what the true tone is. It also can take anything. The epitome of lay it down dirty and play it back clean.

Woof! I’ve been debating between the API and the Cali76, kinda hate to hear both of you talking about this one.
Ahh....you need to have this as a STRONG consideration. It is an absolutely amazing pedal and blew me away when I got it. I forget what year it came out but I gave it my own distinction of pedal of the year for that year above any other pedal made that year. It is that good IMO.

Ahh....you need to have this as a STRONG consideration. It is an absolutely amazing pedal and blew me away when I got it. I forget what year it came out but I gave it my own distinction of pedal of the year for that year above any other pedal made that year. It is that good IMO.
Crap. Maybe Bodia will let me check his out.

Back