The Little Moments That Let You Know You Did Your Parenting Job

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
It's not always the big moments that let you know you got through to your kids. Sometimes it's just the little comments and questions here and there.

Like the other night - I'm sitting in the living room with my son after watching hockey, and he says, "Can we watch more 'Fawlty Towers'?"

Brought a tear to my eye. He's actually asked me for recommendations for movies and shows to watch lately. So he's seen things like "Thin Blue Line" lately.

I keep reminding him - I'm the one who introduced him to Doctor Who. And he's hooked on that in a major way.

My son doesn't ask me about TV shows, but he still enjoys playing the guitar. Just like his Dad.

He likes it so much that he'll just whip out a guitar anywhere, and play right on the street for nothing! Like here, in London, which is a place in England. That's another country where they even speak our language. Sort of.

I believe England is part of Canada, only they don't say, "eh?" after every sentence.

As you can see, he and his buddies play well with others and and make lots of friends. When I saw this picture I thought, "Well how nice he and his pals are to share the gift of music with all those people."

That's how I know I raised him right.

Canada has lots of pieces-parts. There's one part of Canada that's right smack dab near China. And what the people do there is mate a lot. They're always talking about mating, too. First thing they do when they see each other is say, "Good Day, Mate!"

I guess there's not much else to do in that part of Canada. It must be like one big Spring Break. They must get awfully tired!

Last edited:
Like the other night - I'm sitting in the living room with my son after watching hockey, and he says, "Can we watch more 'Fawlty Towers'?"

Heh! :rofl:

My grandmother, who was as un-hip as they come (tho I loved her dearly) watched TV about 21x7 and told me I should check out Fawlty Towers.

I didn't know she knew me so well, but she was right! I prit' near laughed 'til I puked!

p009w65g.jpg

Last edited:
Reminds me of a time (late 90's) when my sons where little tots and we were sitting in a movie theater and before the movie started they were debating which was a better band...The Who or the Pink Floyd. This guy sitting in front of me turned to me and said....man, you sure raised your kids right. Yes, a proud moment in an otherwise up and down parental career.

When he was much younger, I was listening to Zappa's "Peaches En Regalia" from his SNL appearance. My son walked in and said, "Huh - sounds like Frank Zappa but with more guitar."

As he got older, anytime Rush would come on the radio, I'd say "That's Rush, with the greatest drummer in the world, Neil Peart." After a few times, whenever Rush would come on, I'd say, "That's Rush - who's on drums?" And he have trouble remembering. Finally he started getting it, so I just waited and kept playing the game. Finally...it came on. "Working Man." Rush! Who's on drums? "NEIL PEART!" Nope, John Rutsey.

Sometimes you just have to have patience...

When he was much younger, I was listening to Zappa's "Peaches En Regalia" from his SNL appearance. My son walked in and said, "Huh - sounds like Frank Zappa but with more guitar."

As he got older, anytime Rush would come on the radio, I'd say "That's Rush, with the greatest drummer in the world, Neil Peart." After a few times, whenever Rush would come on, I'd say, "That's Rush - who's on drums?" And he have trouble remembering. Finally he started getting it, so I just waited and kept playing the game. Finally...it came on. "Working Man." Rush! Who's on drums? "NEIL PEART!" Nope, John Rutsey.

Sometimes you just have to have patience...

Yeah, but Neil Peart wasn't the greatest drummer in the world for one second, anyway.

So you unwittingly misled the poor boy. They may revoke your parenting license for this gaffe.

;)

Pre-Marco Minneman, Bozzio was the only drummer I had in Peart's class. I saw Bozzio do stuff that I know you're supposed to strive for, but I never saw anyone able to actually do it.

Back