SECU24 - Removing The Bridge From The Block

Bebop Slim

I saw a couple other threads on mods but none of them addressed this specific issue and I didn't want to hijack them. And I apologize if this gets a little lengthy but I want to give as much detail as possible to try and make it easier to answer without taking up too much of other people's valuable time.

I got the bug to really learn to work on guitars seriously. In the past I've done action and intonation adjustments and some rewiring, but it's been a LOOONG while since.

In the past month I was able to buy 2 SECU24 and an SECU24-08. Each is unique in it's own way but there are some things I want to do to each to improve (at least IMHO) them and make them my own.

One of the things I want to do is swap out the stock Trem blocks with brass ones so I bought a separate SE trem bridge with the block attached (genuine PRS) and a brass block to practice some things on so I don't mess up my guitars while learning.

I've measured both blocks in every possible way and everything matches exactly so I know I'm good to go.

I took the saddles and related screw and springs out of the practice bridge but (using a #3 hexbit which seems tonfit the head perfectly) I can't for the life of me get the screws that hold the bridge plate to the block to budge Not even a tiny bit

Is there a specific or special tool I need to get, or something I'm missing somewhere?

I found exactly one You Tube Video where the guy removes them but he doesn't show the tool he's using and they seem to come out pretty easy for him.

As always any advice is greatly appreciated.

I hope everyone who celebrates has a very merry Christmas!

TIA

Maybe you need to put a brass or copper drift on the heads and hit it with a hammer. Not sure what the screws are made of but you want a drift that's softer than them.

If that doesn't free them up then you might have to heat the block.

Simple jobs are rarely simple unfortunately.

Good luck.

Back