The David Grissom Thread

garrett

I first heard him in Storyville.

I discovered his playing with Joe Ely more recently. Their live work together is incredibly good. I especially love the big solo David does in "Letter to LA"

And don't neglect his solo stuff.

I find that his best playing is on live recordings. What say you, fellow forumites?

Last edited:
It was Storyville first for me, as well. Of course, I still had no idea who he was. Didn't really reconnect until I got into PRS again about 5 years ago. I missed a lot!

Man his licks and that friggin Goldtop DGT made my GAS needle hit the redline! Man he slays! I gotta go fist fight the redhead for the credit card....Naa, shell just kick my a$$ again...bummer:( killer thread Garrett!

Last edited:
First Experience for me, but I'd heard him with Mellencamp.

He was one of the guys who made the first couple Experiences rough, along with Johnny Hiland, Davy Knowles, and Howard Leese. I'd look at the schedule in dread - who would I have to miss because their clinics overlapped? I think the year I regretted most was the year they did the master classes. I saw DG, DK and Dave Weiner, but I had to miss Howard Leese, and I heard he was showing a bunch of stuff I'd have loved to see. Not that I regret what I saw - just what I missed.

A great guitarist is one who has a distinctive style, enough to stand out from the sea of axemen. DG is one such for sure.

Also, what a great model is the DGT. The elegance of that control layout. Best humbucker coil tap in the business. 11s.....well strings can change!

I'd love to have a live record from him, from Saxon Pub, with the organ player.

David Grissom and Bobby Keys, what a one-two punch. And with Joe's great songwriting and stage presence...

Part of me prefers them without Bobby though, 'cause that just means more Grissom on guitar...

It was Storyville first for me, as well. Of course, I still had no idea who he was. Didn't really reconnect until I got into PRS again about 5 years ago. I missed a lot!

Storyville was my first exposure too. and I was there for the local scene back then. There was always such great chemistry musically with all those guys. I still have to get better acquainted with DG's work outside of the group and am embarrassingly behind...

Regarding "first exposure", mine was the stuff he did with Mellencamp... I didn't know who the guitar player was, but I knew I loved it! I didn't find out it was Grissom until many years later.

Joe Ely Live At Liberty Lunch. David was the first person I ever saw playing a PRS Guitar. That was in the early 1990's
Me too, for the Liberty Lunch record. A pal turned me on to it in 1993 and I haven't stopped listening. It is quintessential lead guitar accompaniment to me.

Back