The David Grissom Thread

Last night I saw the Greg Koch Trio with David Grissom at the Hook and Ladder theater, an old, converted fire station. This place holds about 150 - 200 people, and it was moderately crowded but not too bad. After the opening band, The Greg Koch trio hit the stage... Greg on guitar, his son Dylan on drums, and Toby Lee Marshall on Hammond B3. Wow, tight, and seriously in the groove. Blues based, lots of fast shuffles, and trading licks and solos. Great sound too! After a few songs David Grissom came on, and they just tore it up. Sound was really clean, not too loud, and I was a bit surprised at Grissom's tone, a bit darker than I expected, rolled off treble and a touch more. They did some blues, trading phrases and solos, then more shuffles... I absolutely don't remember any names of the songs... sorry. Towards the end of the night, they did a long jam, as Greg Koch said, in a tribute to Frank Zappa. Such amazing playing. This lasted about 10 minutes, and was just transfixing. Sorry if I rambled on, but, DANG, what a show. I didnt take any pics of the show, or video, but did get a few of the guitars and rigs, that I will post shortly!

First time I heard/seen him was on Austin City Limits with a guy named James McMurtry. This was probably 91, and I was trying to figure out a way to transition from being an 80's hard rock kid into the bar scene in my area, which was classic rock & country. Watching him do the stuff he does had a pretty big impact on me at the time. I don't think I really copied much of what he does, for the simple fact that I don't have the knowledge, but it just tryin to catch the vibe.

Back