The 80's - what was your guitar life ''Pre-PRS'' and why did you change

LaPanthere

We don't just have Heidi/Rolex in Switzerland :D
Hello all

A bit of nostalgy and also quite interesting, even it's a topic for the ''older'' generations. Before PRS got in the market, what guitars were you playing and what was the factor you switched or added a PRS-Guitar to your stuff in the late 80's/early 90's?

In my case I remember there were, here in europe, 3 essential ''camps'':

- The Gibson Players (who often didn't like to spell the name Fender)
- The Fender Players (who often didn't like to spell the name Gibson)
- The Others (who were often way more open minded, except the Gretsch-Folks)

Well I was in the Gibson Camp, my first ever guitar was a cheap Hondo Les Paul copy, completely unplayable, noisy and like many asian imports of the mid-seventees butchering your hands with a horrible fretwork. Because I did well in school, and since I was 5 yo spent almost all of my spare time with my Ukulele, Mandolin-Banjo, the Hondo or my moms classical guitar, my parents offered me a guitar for my diploma when I was 12, and I selected a 1976 Gibson Firebird Bi-Centennial which was reduced 40% as it was a demo guitar and the hard case missing (the dealer sold the case to someone).

2i6e6mq.jpg

I always loved the 'uncommon' Gibsons - Vees/Explorers were my passion, but those lovely Les Pauls as well of course. I started working beside my studies whenever I could to gather some money and started collecting in the early 80's. The Norlin Gibsons were sometimes bizarre and had possibly some quality issues but there were many beauties available those years anyway. In 1990 I had a couple of Les Pauls (I really digged the anniversaries) - 25/50, 30th Goldtop, 40th Ebony with P-100, 30th SG/LP TV-yellow, but also an Artisan 3PU and an Artist Active. The Vee/Explorer section consisted of a pair of FF82 Alpine White '58 Reissues; a gorgeous 1982 ''The V'' in antique violin sunburst with a 1-piece Flametop, a walnut shaped V2, an Explorer-II (Flametop), Explorer E2 (shaped body) and a custom graphics black/goldstripes Explorer.

As non-Gibsons I had a japanese transparent Plexi-Strat, an M&B Himmelsschlüssel and a beautiful early Blade R4 Strat. And no, I never owned a Fender :D

Oh yeah and I was always a funny guy in my choice of stage dressing :D

m7wcv9.jpg

28by6v6.jpg

At the end of the 80's the PRS adds started to appear in the guitar magazines, a beautiful guitar in royal blue with a stunning quilt top! But in Switzerland those years - no infos, no dealers and no such thing like Internet yet. So.... I was just cutting those adds out of the mags :)

With all those wonderful instruments in my collection, what (except the amazing look) made me want such a PRS? Well, it was a modern guitar, much more versatile than my Gibsons with the 5-way rotary and Sweet Switch, a Trem that actually held the tuning, Locking Tuners and everybody who wrote about them was just fascinated by those instruments. In 1991 one of my local dealers took me aside and said ''you want a PRS right? You still want one?'' Of course I wanted, so he made me a very obscure offer: ''I can't tell you much, but I have hand on a brand new PRS with a minor chip in the finish. That's why it is reduced, but I can neither tell you the color, nor more about the damage - but it's 50% off''! I made a tour in my hometown, walking 2 or 3 hours because, yes i wanted one, but well.... you surely understant my hesitations. I had to decide right away or it is gone. I returned and I bought it! 3 months later I got my PRS, a gorgeous 1991 Custom 24 10-Top with Birds in whale blue! It's still my Number 1!

Well that ''ding'' in the finish, it's that tiny little white spot you can see in this photo:

9zwpzp.jpg

In 1994 I lost most of my collection in a fire, one my ''The V'', a Les Paul Classic (i bought used for $700 in 1990) and the PRS survived as they were at home and not in the rehearsal room. Anyway since I had the PRS except the LP Classic which was my secondary guitar (it had a killer sound) all other took dust in the cases... in 1996 I also sold the remaining 2 Gibsons (I badly regret the ''The V'' which had an exceptional sound but was extremely heavy too) and since then I only have my PRS.

I never regretted my choice of the PRS and am really happy to have insited 30 years ago to absolutely want one!

What about your memories?

1st electric, 1978 Peavey T-60 1st year production.
2nd Peavey Mantis with Kahler Trem.
3rd electric 1991 Hamer USA Chaparral Custom with a Floyd (black and green pearlescent marbled look finish... true super strat hair bliss).
After that, many many Hamer USA models, McInturff Glory Custom (hate I sold that dang guitar), 1st PRS - 1998 CU24 10 top. Than
a used 1993 PRS CE24 to go with it.

I traded my Alto sax (played Baritone in Marching and Jazz band in Jr. High) for a Hondo II Stat copy when I was 16. That got traded in for an Arbor Explorer copy, which turned into a Kramer Striker. The Kramer became a BC Rich Eagle. That all happened in a 2 year time span. Guess I got the bug early! I dropped a set of Screamin' Demon pickups in the BC Rich because it was 1986 and George Lynch was my hero! I also put a top mount whammy on it. I believe it was a Washburn Wonderbar. No routing needed. Just drill, baby!

I moved to the Chicago area in 1987. Thought about selling the BC and my amp (little Roland with four 4" speakers), and quitting. Took it to GC and got offered $75. GC low ball....some things never change! I ended up reconsidering quitting. Sold the BC Rich to a buddy back in Iowa, and bought a white Charvel Model 4 and a Marshall Valvestate. In '89 the Charvel turned into a 7-Up Green Eric Clapton Strat. That turned into a Les Paul Studio Lite. I didn't have the LP long. That turned into a Hot Pink Ernie Ball Music Man EVH. I held onto that from '92 - '97. Traded the EVH in for a '97 McCarty. That was my first, of many, PRS. Wish I still had it. Needed funds to pay the taxman, and had to sell it. Dozens of guitars of various models/manufacturers have come and gone since then. At a place now where I can hang on to several at a time. Pretty happy with my current stable, at least what it will be when I move a few things!

Lots of Gibson’s ( they were cheap comparatively speaking, and the Midwest is always slow on trends), then metal-ish super strats.

Edit: forgot the second part of the question.

I got sick of Floyd’s and wanted to feel like a grownup. My nineteen year old brain thought that a PRS would pair nicely with my ponytail and JCrew duds.

At the start (c 1961) it was a ‘59 Kay Sizzler (see avatar). Duane Eddy and surf!
Mid-sixties I was fingerpicking whiney folk songs on a J-45 Gibson.
After military at College in the early seventies I was a jazz student.
In the eighties through about 2012 I played a Telecaster pretty exclusively for all kinds of versatile Union utility hack gigs.
Finally settled on a Gibson ES-335 when the pickups finally got bright enough (Burstbuckers c 2015) for the obligatory non-union local club wars, playing Funk covers and Steely Dan tunes for 40 dancing drunks.
I had a couple PRS guitars in there around 2012, but wasn’t quite ready for them (shot ears)

Then I noticed Carlos Santana’s sound from about ‘82 to present brought a lot to the party, but though I have liked fat necks in the past my “Paul’s Guitar” seems perfect, and my new McCarty 594 is really a very cool guitar (so are most PRS I’ve noticed), now that I wear hearing aids.

I traded my Alto sax (played Baritone in Marching and Jazz band in Jr. High) for a Hondo II Stat copy when I was 16. That got traded in for an Arbor Explorer copy, which turned into a Kramer Striker. The Kramer became a BC Rich Eagle. That all happened in a 2 year time span. Guess I got the bug early! I dropped a set of Screamin' Demon pickups in the BC Rich because it was 1986 and George Lynch was my hero! I also put a top mount whammy on it. I believe it was a Washburn Wonderbar. No routing needed. Just drill, baby!

I moved to the Chicago area in 1987. Thought about selling the BC and my amp (little Roland with four 4" speakers), and quitting. Took it to GC and got offered $75. GC low ball....some things never change! I ended up reconsidering quitting. Sold the BC Rich to a buddy back in Iowa, and bought a white Charvel Model 4 and a Marshall Valvestate. In '89 the Charvel turned into a 7-Up Green Eric Clapton Strat. That turned into a Les Paul Studio Lite. I didn't have the LP long. That turned into a Hot Pink Ernie Ball Music Man EVH. I held onto that from '92 - '97. Traded the EVH in for a '97 McCarty. That was my first, of many, PRS. Wish I still had it. Needed funds to pay the taxman, and had to sell it. Dozens of guitars of various models/manufacturers have come and gone since then. At a place now where I can hang on to several at a time. Pretty happy with my current stable, at least what it will be when I move a few things!

Ugh...why did you have to mention BC Rich?

Very first guitar was a Peavey Reactor (tele-copy) that my mom, who was single with four kids at the time, rented for like $12.00 a month or something. I had it for a good eight months or so until my mom missed some payments and it got re-po'd. Also, about this time is when I started seeing PRS around a couple of local shops. They looked incredible, but of course were beyond question out of our price range.

I was out for a year or so until I was able to find a cheap used Squire Strat for $75.00. Played that like crazy until it started to die. After that one, I convinced my step-dad (mom was remarried at this point) to finance a California Strat from Musician's Friend and I would make all the payments. While that was a pretty solid guitar, I was terrible about maintaining it and the neck ended up warping.

After selling the Strat, I decided to go the Gibson route and purchased an SG (which got stolen) followed by a Les Paul with P90's. After not really getting along with the weight of the Les Paul, I decided to trade it. The associate at the guitar store introduced me the SE Singlecut, I want to say it was the first year they were released. After falling in love with the feel, play-ability and look, I expanded my collection and never looked back. I toy around with other guitars from time to time, but nothing feels quite "at home" as PRS guitars do for me.

Sorry, bro! But, I had one! I had to mention it. I mean, it's not like I posted a pic..........

Nothing wrong with a US BC Rich - there have been times where I would have done alot to get one of those 10-string Biches, but totally out of reach (and impossible to find in Switzerland then) :p

I had only one guitar for over 20 years - A sunburst Gibson LP - used for southern rock & blues. Then my musical tastes started to change & I went look looking for a hollowbody guitar. I played Gibson ES335's and ES339's and a PRS HB I. This was in 2008. I purchased the PRS HB I because it had a smaller body, was lighter, better action, better overall quality, and equivalent tone as the Gibson's that I played. I still have this guitar. It has been a workhorse over the past 10 years - 2 fret dresses and one complete fret replacement (and a switch replacement). Long story short - LP has been sold and I now have 4 PRS guitars.

DSCN2610.jpg

Back