Taking Guitar on a Vacation?

DanWessonValor

So I'll be visiting my motherland for about three months but want to either take a guitar or buy one there. What do you guys think? I have 4 guitars to choose from or maybe I just buy a cheap on when I am on the other side of the world. I won't be gig'n but just want to keep prwcticing.

What would you do?
1. Buy a cheap guitar since I visit every year.
2. Take a PRS HB II
3. Take a PRS Core CU24
4. Take a PRS Corea CU24

I would absolutely buy a somewhat inexpensive guitar every year and set a precedent.

I’ve really only had a “family” for eight years, but the amount we spend during them could easily absorb a pawn shop SE purchase without going noticed.

I think I'll get a SE model and just leave it there.
I highly recommend a SE Cu214-08!
or maybe a DGT
or possibly a hollowbody
and or maybe a Paul's
A McCarty is always a good choice
Tremonti's look so good

1*YqvaoLbHZZ9l8DdHdZ3eGw.png

Buy A Really Nice Guitar That You Could Keep For Life. Purchase The Guitar In The Location That Makes The Most Financial Sense And Saves You The Most Money And Just Store The Guitar There. That Way You Have An Amazing Guitar No Matter What. :)

Buy a cheap one while you're there. It's always a risk flying with an instrument. If you're lucky, they can pack it in the plane. If you're unlucky, it goes with the luggage and tossed around like a worthless piece of junk.

Where's the motherland? Russia? Detroit?
Wood import regulations seem like a big pain in the ass for the casual traveler.

I picked up a G2420 Streamliner Hollow Body Aged Brooklyn Burst in 2022 to leave at my Mom's house. I actually left it at my nieces house and showed her and her two sisters how to play some basic stuff, but none of them have played it when I am not there even though I continue to encourage them to do so. Paid ~$450 for the Gretsch and the reason I purchased it is, it sounded really good acoustically (descent tone, really good projection). I was certain I would not normally be plugging it in but did not want an acoustic.I like the way an electric feels and can play more on it for longer periods of time than I can with most acoustics.

Anyway, nice to have it laying around there for when I am in that neck of the woods and maybe one of my nieces will actually play it once in a while ;~)) I am certainly not worried about what happens to it at that price point!

Buy a cheap one while you're there. It's always a risk flying with an instrument. If you're lucky, they can pack it in the plane. If you're unlucky, it goes with the luggage and tossed around like a worthless piece of junk.
Yeah, I dont even want to risk my SE Corea model with the airline. It'll be fun shopping for a new guitar once I get there.

Buy there! Some of the Korean made guitars are on par work Japanese stuff. I have an Ibanez JS 100 which is made in Korea. I have two friends with JS 1000 Japanese made higher end ones and mine plays better than either one of them. I know they have better electronics and a set up with probably fix that but mine is a real player.!

Last edited:
Nice..
I'm an Army baby...born in Seoul. My mother is from Uijeongbu.
Never been to the "motherland"; someday...
Hehehe. You spelled that dead on and I recognized the city name. When did you leave?
But there! Some of the Korean made guitars are on par work Japanese stuff. I have an Ibanez JS 100 which is made in Korea. I have two friends with JS 1000 Japanese made higher and ones and mine plays better than either one of them. I know there’s better electronics and a set up with probably fix that but mine is a real player.!
I mean that's one of the reasons why I would never sell my SE model made in Korea.

I don't know too much about the Korean brands but I may check them out. Why go with another PRS when I already have 3.

Back