Straps!

Boogie92801

What strap do you use with the big PRS strap buttons? Standard strap holes are too small and I dont want to put locks on my TED. So what?

Normally in the past I've just slightly enlarged the hole on whatever strap I wanted to use but I use Schaller straplocks on all of my guitars. I have had too many bad experiences and close calls not to use locks when playing live.

I use Franklin straps on all my guitars, PRSi or otherwise... love the look and they are, hands down, the most comfortable straps I have ever used... I have had to, in some instances, loosen the PRS strap buttons to get the strap on and then tighten back down... they hold really well!

I'm currently using a Monocase Betty strap a lot lately. I sometimes alternate between a Minataur strap and a Levy's padded leather strap as well. All three of these straps required their holes widened a bit to fit both the PRS strap buttons and the Schaller straplocks that I use.

I have two leather straps.
One a Levis, the other one is a Planet Waves.

I took off the stock pins on my Gibson SG and my SE Santana the day I got both of them, and put on the Schaller strap locks.

I have a poly strap too, but it is slippery, and it makes the SGs head aim down if you let go of the guitar.
I like the leather straps better, as they grip the shirts and do not slide around at all on me.

Well, anyone who was at the experience last year prolly saw Chris...aka CRGTR on here playing a stripped 58 in the jam tent and witnessed a great catch when the strap let loose....I ALWAYS put strap locks on my girls!! again...great snatch Chris!!

I have two leather straps.
One a Levis, the other one is a Planet Waves.

I took off the stock pins on my Gibson SG and my SE Santana the day I got both of them, and put on the Schaller strap locks.

I have a poly strap too, but it is slippery, and it makes the SGs head aim down if you let go of the guitar.
I like the leather straps better, as they grip the shirts and do not slide around at all on me.

The close call I had was with an SG actually. Neck heavy to boot and it fell on a carpeted floor face first. Luckily the headstock didn't snap. From then on I've never played without them.

It may also be the way Gibson has the strap pin behind the neck instead of on the outer horn like on the PRS and many other guitars.
I also have to put the strap lock in from the other way on that end of the strap for the SG to make the strap show right.
I wish the pin was on the horn instead of from behind.

But yeah, the SGs will take a dive.

i guess cutting thr hole bigger is the the way to make it fit but then they are not secure. Just dont want to screw with the big buttons.

A little trick I do is loosen the screw in the strap button just slightly, maybe 1/4-1/2 of a turn. This gives a little more space under the button rim and makes it a little easier to fit a strapped to it.

Well, anyone who was at the experience last year prolly saw Chris...aka CRGTR on here playing a stripped 58 in the jam tent and witnessed a great catch when the strap let loose....I ALWAYS put strap locks on my girls!! again...great snatch Chris!!

Thanks Michael. That was an interesting way to start a jam in front of a tent full of guitar players! No pressure there! I'm just glad the 58 never hit the ground. That would've really sucked!

Luckily, I've never had a guitar fall off the strap, and I've been playing without strap locks since, I dunno, 1966 or 7?

Maybe I need to jump around more or something.

Oh wait, I'm too old now. Never mind. ;)

I have been using PRS straps with my two PRS for a few years and have not had any issues with the straps coming off and have never used anything but the standard PRS strap buttons. I had been using one of the soft leather 'bird' straps, but replaced it with two of the red padded PRS straps - they are AWESOME.! Very comfortable and look great. They are a little tough to get over the strap buttons at first, but the leather breaks in pretty quick. Really great straps imo.

I've been using Planet Waves on both of my PRS and never has an issue. They're such great guitars I can't bear to put a strap lock in either one of them. The strap on my Custom 24 has been on since early 2010 and the one on the McCarty Hollowbody since Oct of the same year and don't show any signs of loosening at all :)

I use Levy's mostly. Every gtr gets it's own strap so it changes sometimes. Mr Clean wanted nothing more than a PRS 25th Anniversary "white" strap. So, I put out feelers to buy one...and one of you (you know who you are) actually GAVE me one!! Troy gave me a fancy Jaykco paisley strap to go with that gtr, but it seems more at home on the TGS gtr (yet-to-be-named....) The Levy's are a "beech" to get on the 1st few times, but they hold on REAL good after that.

Last edited:
Back