Which S-Locks to get?

The new Shaller S locks do not rattle , I just got a couple of sets to try out because someone I know has been bugging me for years about my straps hanging on all the guitars :)
To be honest I LOVE the old PRS strap buttons , The new ones are really no better than a Gibson or Fender buttons and my Fiore and NF53 now have Grolsh washers on them ;(

i have used dunlops on all my six-string guitars for decades but schallers on basses.

even with dunlops i have periodically had to use a few flat toothpicks and wood glue when going back to the prs locks, and once or twice i've even had to use the toothpicks and glue going to dunlops on a brand new guitar.

bottom line, dont fear some shims and a little glue.

You got me curious, so I dug up the strap button screws from my 2017 custom 24. The shaft is 1" long. Maybe they used longer screws in different years, but these were too short for my tastes.
I knew the ones I have in my PRS guitars were longer than 1" so I pulled out the ones I bought that are the same size and length as the ones in my 2006 CU22 and CU24. Those are the first guitars I saw with these screws. They are 1 9/16" long. I was off by a little. They aren't quite 2" long. All of my core PRS guitars have these same screws. I know because I have put the old style Schaller strap locks on all of them.

The screws in the brand new Studio are the same. I know that for sure because I had an issue with the screw fitting in a button I had. I pulled out the ones I purchased years ago to compare the screw from the new guitar to. I thought they may have changed the screws since they changed the strap buttons. They didn't change the screw. It is the same as the ones I keep on hand. I somehow got a set of buttons that have a smaller hole in them. I used a different set that fit like they usually do.

I have stayed away from the Dunlop strap locks. I have had plenty of friends use them and they all have told me of times when they failed them. The little balls in the end of the strap part get dirty and don't always engage correctly. I have witnessed some of these failures. They are not pretty. I have always used the Schaller locks because I like the design. If the button is seated in the U shape on the strap, the pin is not holding the weight of the guitar like with the Dunlop. If for some reason the pin didn't engage the guitar will still set in the strap U part, unless you are jumping all over the stage and throwing your guitar around it will hold.

No offense to anyone on this thread, reading what some of you are willing to do to your high dollar guitars makes me nervous about buying used guitars. While being able to add wood to the hole to fix a hole that is larger than the screw you want to put back in it fixes the issue, it is a fix. Pine toothpicks are not as hard as the wood the body is made of and could still have issues down the road. Don't get me wrong, I have added wood to a hole many times to fix an issue like that. However, I take a knife and shave slivers off of something hard like oak or hard maple or a similar hardwood to do it. I will also coat them with wood glue before pushing them in.

I knew the ones I have in my PRS guitars were longer than 1" so I pulled out the ones I bought that are the same size and length as the ones in my 2006 CU22 and CU24. Those are the first guitars I saw with these screws. They are 1 9/16" long. I was off by a little. They aren't quite 2" long. All of my core PRS guitars have these same screws. I know because I have put the old style Schaller strap locks on all of them.

The screws in the brand new Studio are the same. I know that for sure because I had an issue with the screw fitting in a button I had. I pulled out the ones I purchased years ago to compare the screw from the new guitar to. I thought they may have changed the screws since they changed the strap buttons. They didn't change the screw. It is the same as the ones I keep on hand. I somehow got a set of buttons that have a smaller hole in them. I used a different set that fit like they usually do.
Interesting! Not sure why mine had shorter screws, but I'm happy to hear mine was the exception, rather than the rule.

I use the Schallers - old and new versions. I put the S-Locks on my newest PRS a couple years ago. The combined screw/strap button is just slightly larger than the hole, but we did okay with the installation.

When I first got my goldtop DGT in 2008, I used the original buttons and PRS leather straps bought at the factory. The strap burned all the nitro finish off by the strap buttons. I went straplocks after that.

Back