SE's - Best Replacement Nut?

andy474x

Knows the Drill
I've noticed on ebay and some other places that there are a decent amount of replacement nuts floating around, any suggestions for a replacement? I'd like to get something for my SE CU24 that will give me a little more tuning stability when I use the trem. Also, if I got a precut/slotted one, is it something I could replace myself or should I take it to a shop? I do my own wiring, pickups, setups, etc, but the fretboard and nut are one area I steer clear of because I lack the tools and skills to fix any problems I would probably create...

I would just buy a USA PRS nut in your case. You can make the swap yourself and may need to do some filling on the nut to get the height right. If your not comfortable doing this I do suggest taking it to a tech.

OsirisProtocol said:
I would just buy a USA PRS nut in your case. You can make the swap yourself and may need to do some filling on the nut to get the height right. If your not comfortable doing this I do suggest taking it to a tech.

+1

You can also get ready cut Tusq and Tusq XL nuts off eBay.

Personally, I left it to my tech to fit the Tusq nut on my Bernie. Not particularly expensive so I took the option of having the tech do it so I knew it'd be right.

I used the US PRS nut on a couple of me SE's I've had as well as Tusq and I think I actually prefer the Tusq on my SE's....

I would jsut do it myself, but I like to tinker....

If you decide to change the nut, I would receommend taking it to a qualified tech. A poorly cut nut will cause an incredible amount of problems including, poor sustain, tuning instability and loss of tone.

Another thing I will also add. Before you spend the money on a new nut, you may want to make sure the current nut is properly cut. The SE models come equipped with 9-42 gauge strings and if you've gone to a heavier gauge, you will certainly want to widen the nut slots so that the strings are not being pinched. Pinched strings are the greatest cause for tuning instability.

Hans said:
Yeah, a pinched nut can really ruin your day.

I'm like... 13 years old. Apparently. :lol:

i_see_what_you_did_there.jpg

Shawn@PRS said:
If you decide to change the nut, I would receommend taking it to a qualified tech. A poorly cut nut will cause an incredible amount of problems including, poor sustain, tuning instability and loss of tone.

Another thing I will also add. Before you spend the money on a new nut, you may want to make sure the current nut is properly cut. The SE models come equipped with 9-42 gauge strings and if you've gone to a heavier gauge, you will certainly want to widen the nut slots so that the strings are not being pinched. Pinched strings are the greatest cause for tuning instability.

Thanks Shawn, I think I'll take your advice and go to a tech. From the sounds of things it shouldn't be too terribly expensive. I did notice the strings binding on my se22 when I moved up to 10's on that, so I had it filed. But it's a stoptail so it's fine now. The se24 on the other hand is still rocking 9's and binding a bit with the trem.
Hans, grow up man... jk!!! I was thinking the same thing while I posted this thread :)

yes buy a tusq pre slotted...easy to install..take some sand paper and sand down to the correct height..

A proper setup by an expert does wonders.

In my experience, the best long term result is a well cut and lubricated bone nut.

I prefer the sound of bone over soft plastic or graphite, etc, but when I swapped my SE nut for bone, I didn't notice a tone difference.

Did you use the "regular" US nut or the "wide-thin/fat" one for your se? Just woundering if string spacing is different on the two and which one is closer to the se

I have a Tusq XL on my SE. It really does make a world of difference to tuning stability. My tech ordered a pre-cut one from his supplier and charged a nominal fee to fit as he already had the guitar to perform a full setup for me.

I'm sure the US PRS nuts are great too. I don't know how much they would cost but the Tusq cost around £6, which is dirt cheap IMO.

I'm thinking of getting one fitted to my strat the next time it goes in for some work.

Did you use the "regular" US nut or the "wide-thin/fat" one for your se? Just woundering if string spacing is different on the two and which one is closer to the se

I just installed a PRS USA wide/fat wide/thin nut on my PRS SE Santana and Worked out quite well. In my case I had to put a thin shim underneath the nut but that is all (in my case)

I just installed a PRS USA wide/fat wide/thin nut on my PRS SE Santana and Worked out quite well. In my case I had to put a thin shim underneath the nut but that is all (in my case)

Cool thanks man. I love my se 22 so hopefully I can make it play like a charm again with a new nut and some fret work.

Has anyone tried an earvana nut? I have them on all my other guitars and absolutely love them. I'm going to have my tech put one on my Se singlecut Soapbar as soon as I finish a theatre run next week. I'm having the stability problem with tuning. I put silicone grease on the nut slots to get me through the gig. This instrument has all the right tones for caribbean music, which is what I'm playing. I also tightened down the tuners, which were loose. i learned a long time ago that this is a very common problem on all guitars. I'm guessing that the Gibson style Earvana will be the right one.

Has anyone tried an earvana nut? I have them on all my other guitars and absolutely love them. I'm going to have my tech put one on my Se singlecut Soapbar as soon as I finish a theatre run next week. I'm having the stability problem with tuning. I put silicone grease on the nut slots to get me through the gig. This instrument has all the right tones for caribbean music, which is what I'm playing. I also tightened down the tuners, which were loose. i learned a long time ago that this is a very common problem on all guitars. I'm guessing that the Gibson style Earvana will be the right one.

The PRS nuts are already compensated. I think the nut is moved slightly further forward towards the bridge than on many other manufacturers guitars.

What I don't now is if this is done on the SE's. If it is then an Earvana nut may not be the best idea. May be best to contact PRS customer services or perhaps someone who understands this better will drop by.

There are Graphtec Tusq nuts and PRS nuts that are drop in replacements and may be more suitable in this case.

While I cannot answer the Earvana question I can tell you that putting a USA PRS Nut on my SE along with Schaller Locking tuners and .010-.046 strings helped quite a bit on tuning stability.

I ended up going with the Tusq nut after talking to my guitar tech, who used to work for PRS before he struck out on his own. Mike was right, the nuts are pushed further forward to compensate for some of the intonation problems. The next step will be locking tuners. That should complete the hardware changes. Then there will be the tone and volume pots.....

Back