Silver Sky SE Quality Issues

Sorry man, I didn't intend any snark.
I didn’t think you were snarky at all. You just came to the wrong place to say anything critical about PRS. You’re right about PRS placing very high expectations on their import guitars. They go on and on about the quality. My experience is that I’ve never played an SE that made me even consider spending any amount of money on it. Each time I’ve tried an SE, it was a monumental disappointment.

You just came to the wrong place to say anything critical about PRS. You’re right about PRS placing very high expectations on their import guitars. They go on and on about the quality. Each time I’ve tried an SE, it was a monumental disappointment.

Heck, some of the FB pages are much worse. I think around here we talk a little more adult about it. More a discussion, than wrong vs right, or lie and truth.

There's been enough posts that it's hard to dismiss that se QC is down hill. I know PRS used to really talk up the new Indo facility processes and QC in Maryland, but do they still? I honestly wouldn't know. I've mostly moved on from buying se. I still play them in shops, but to consider taking one home is another thing. Sure, there's been some here and there, and not all shops stock is created equal, but the days of me buying blind off the internet isn't something I'm as comfortable with as in the past.

I've noticed certain models are better than others. Rather that's the line they are on or production woes to meet demand, I wouldn't know? The SAS, DGT, and Hb2 (different factory) I've considered lately have been fairly consistent. And I did buy my seHb2 online and couldn't be happier with the quality for dollar. Some others have been fairly mixed and even disappointing experience.

I am confident that PRS will sort the issue and once again the se line will be the gateway drug that hooked me on PRS..

Last edited:
There are going to be hits and misses in anything mass produced. And it will always be the problems that get the loudest voice.
I have 3 SE guitars. All are stellar. 2 were bought in person and one bought blind from Reverb. It was the cheapest 594 at the time. I am very happy with it.

My opinion is that an instrument that costs a months wages for some people, should work fine out of the box.

However, PRS stands by its customer service and returns are organised through the dealer, without a quibble as far as I’m aware.

If you consider the amount of SE’s that are sold, the “disappointed” posts are a small percentage.

Sorry that you guys have had issues with your SE’s. My WMIC SE 245 certainly was worthy of mods. A lot of forum members here are willing to put coin into their SE guitars too.

Back