SE 245 TUNERS

KT64

Hey, I am new to the forum, hope I am posting this in the right spot. I just got an SE 245 Standard and am wondering if there is a drop in vintage keystone style set of tuners available, really just like that look, especially with the tobacco burst?

I don't think there's a drop in set because they need two screws instead of one?
John Mann does have some locking tuners for Marsden and Zack Meyers vintage style though.

I just popped a set of Mann-modified tuners into my Bernie Marsden SE...and they're AWESOME.

Can't possibly recommend them more strongly. They're exceptiinal!

Hopefully someone else can back me up on this, as I'm not 100% positive... but I think the vintage tulip/keystone style tuners fit a different headstock thickness than the modern ones that come on the SE245. The Bernie, ZM, etc. (and many other vintage style tuners) may only be for a thinner headstock front-to-back, and possibly different hole diameter as well. So you may want to look for something that specifically states it's for the thicker headstock.

Hopefully someone else can back me up on this, as I'm not 100% positive... but I think the vintage tulip/keystone style tuners fit a different headstock thickness than the modern ones that come on the SE245. The Bernie, ZM, etc. (and many other vintage style tuners) may only be for a thinner headstock front-to-back, and possibly different hole diameter as well. So you may want to look for something that specifically states it's for the thicker headstock.

You're on to something here. Not exactly sure what though. I know the collar diameter is different (smaller) on the tulip/vintage. When I put Phase III's on my Bernie I had to enlarge the post holes.

SE tuners are METRIC and have a 6mm (.236") diameter tuner shaft.
US Core model are INCH and have a 1/4" ( 6.35mm) diameter tuner shaft.

Are you aware of or could you make any recommendations for tuner replacement that have the keystone vintage type look?

I believe I am going to go with Mann Modified SE Locking tuners.

Well, I went with the Mann locking tuners, (thank you John), also had a bone nut cut and installed, love this guitar. It is so, so resonant!

Out of curiosity, what made you want to change the tuners out?

I have the same axe - resonant is a polite way to put it! I have never played an axe at this price that rings like a churchbell the way these do. How bout that gorgeous feedback with a bit of volume...

Correct that some of the vintage style will not fit all the SE models. Gotoh tuners drop in, but the grommets have to be swapped out and the shafts are barely long enough for the hole to peek over the top. Just put them on my Bernie, so know that issue. They are smoother and better made than the factory model.

I wanted to switch to locking tuners for the ease of string change and I like the look of the mann tuners, plus they are a direct drop in and there is more than enough clearance on the 245 headstock.

Back