SE Locking Tuners

Otari_99

Hello,

I'm planning to install locking tuners on my new SE Standard 24-08. However, I'm not a fan of the dark thumbscrews.

Are those plastic?

Are there stainless/chrome thumbscrews available for the SE locking tuners?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Locking tuners are a no go for me. IMHO Strings should wrap around the pole for optimum performance/tone not be cinched down tight between a little set screw with zero wraps. Plus they are way heavier, that sucks tone as well.

What exactly is the draw to them? String changes are quicker?...by what a minute maybe two? lol

Hello,

I'm planning to install locking tuners on my new SE Standard 24-08. However, I'm not a fan of the dark thumbscrews.

Are those plastic?

Are there stainless/chrome thumbscrews available for the SE locking tuners?

Thanks!

Locking tuners are a no go for me. IMHO Strings should wrap around the pole for optimum performance/tone not be cinched down tight between a little set screw with zero wraps. Plus they are way heavier, that sucks tone as well.

What exactly is the draw to them? String changes are quicker?...by what a minute maybe two? lol
Simplifies string changing. As for impact to tone, I have guitars that have them and some that don't, but no direct A/B comparison on any on any single guitar. Perhaps I'll find out on my SE. :)

I surmise that since PRS is selling these specifically for the SE, there would be no noticeable difference.

Thanks for responding. :)

Last edited:

Meh...the strings still make plenty of direct contact with the tuning peg... mine still wrap nearly all the way around once brought up to pitch. From a physics standpoint, I'd be surprised if the slack inherent in multiple winds didn't actually absorb vibrations. I'd think the material the tuners are made of and how they are anchored to the headstock make more of a difference.

Not sure if I agree with that.

But the big old winged tuners actually DO sound better than the phase 2s that are smaller and lighter so...
Disagree all ya want, my spider senses say otherwise lol.

Any part that comes in contact with the string affects tone. The headstock vibrates the most on a guitar, how can the anchor point on that said headstock NOT affect it?

I guess Paul is wrong then too about his take on tuner weight..and about the "God" components. (which tuners are one of so.....)

Simplifies string changing. As for impact to tone, I have guitars that have them and some that don't, but no direct A/B comparison on any on any single guitar. Perhaps I'll find out on my SE. :)

I surmise that since PRS is selling these specifically for the SE, there would be no noticeable difference.

Thanks for responding. :)
Thanks for saying thanks even though I have a different take on them!

How often does one change strings to make it worth while to simplify is what I wanna know lol. Hope you find the ones youre looking for and welcome to a great forum!

Disagree all ya want, my spider senses say otherwise lol.

Any part that comes in contact with the string affects tone. The headstock vibrates the most on a guitar, how can the anchor point on that said headstock NOT affect it?

I guess Paul is wrong then too about his take on tuner weight..and about the "God" components. (which tuners are one of so.....)

Paul is wrong about some things and right about some things. Either way, the winged tuners sound better than the phase 2s... not sure about the newer ones.

Thanks for saying thanks even though I have a different take on them!

How often does one change strings to make it worth while to simplify is what I wanna know lol. Hope you find the ones youre looking for and welcome to a great forum!
Less of a difference to a schlub wanna-be like me...a ton of difference if you're gigging and changing strings every show (or even mid-show).

I've heard the opposite too, that heavier tuners impart better tone (like a heavier bridge).

Hmmm...didn't think my inquiry would create such controversy. :p
No controversy here, just my humble opinions. But what do I know...I just work on guitars all day for a living. lol. Whatever floats your boat as they say.

Apologies for the hijack.

Last edited:
Back