Recessed control cavity plates on S2 and CE

This is totally my philosophy too.

And your beautiful guitars are clear evidence of that, my friend! Every one is a drool-worthy specimen of the brand.

Of course the best reason to go Core and upward in the PRS line (for me) is how fantastic they sound. Those sonic details add up to greatness. The physical beauty and attention to detail are the icing on the cake.

"You're just a PRS fanboy, dude! There's no rational justification for the goofy fanboy-ism that you suffer from."

"Who says making music is a rational process? The emotions come heavily into play if you're doing it right. Everything that gives me emotional juice is a nice addition to the recipe. When I think of great players (not purporting to include myself in this category), I think of players who provoked my emotions and imagination in their work."

"Stop being argumentative. I'm giving you a lecture."

"I love a good lecture. I give them all the time. Will this be on the test?"

I'll just throw this out there. Not being a luthier, it seems like a lot of guitar making comes down to the nice, small details.

A non-recessed backplate probably isn't going to affect the tone, but it can't easily be upgraded. When I get an S2 McCarty 594 Thinline, I can swap out the tuners for vintage locking or Gen III and I can swap out the pickups. I can't upgrade the backplate unless I really just let that OCD run wild.

I don't own any non-core PRS now for a reason. However, with the Thinline, I see a guitar that I like the way it is, with a few small quibbles, and I guess will never be offered in a Core version with the same body carve. I wouldn't want a Core version. I dig the stripped-down, slab, SG / Les Paul Special vibe. It's it's own, equally-valid, thing. The other S2 McCartys have a similar vibe. I just want them to be nice on the back like those legendary vintage guitars.

Again, not knowing anything about guitar manufacturing, my guess is that at some point we will see some upgrades to the S2 line which will include nicer inlays, vintage locking tuners and maybe nicer pickups. These would probably be accompanied by a modest price increase. Hopefully the backplate situation will be remedied at some point.

Last edited:
Wow. I was just watching the Philip McNight Know Your Gear Comparison of the Core 594 and the S2 594. Starting at 10:00 he looks at the control cavities. They look very similar. It looks the the bevel on the S2 control cavity isn't as deep as the bevel in the Core control cavity, which is why the backplate sticks out on the S2. Pretty minor difference in the control cavities between the two.

Last edited:
I can't imagine selling, or not buying in the first place, a guitar I loved because the back plates are not recessed. OCD or not, there are things that matter and things that don't mean much in the grand scheme. IMO

Wow. I was just watching the Philip McNight Know Your Gear Comparison of the Core 594 and the S2 594. Starting at 10:00 he looks at the control cavities. They look very similar. It looks the the bevel on the S2 isn't as deep as on the Core. Pretty minor difference.

The Core's top is carved; the S2's is flat with a bevel. They're a bit different in that regard.

Phil McNight has his opinions. I'd have kept them both!

The Core's top is carved; the S2's is flat with a bevel. They're a bit different in that regard.

Yeah, the bevel I was referring to is the bevel inside the control cavity, which accounts for the backplate sticking out. I've edited my post to make this clear.

Back plates? Who uses those? Lol

I've never looked it up but always assumed the back plate wasn't recessed.for ease of removal for string changes or such. I can't be the only one frustrated a time or two removing a tight recessed plate. I couldn't imagine dealing with that on stage.

Sure a recessed back plate looks smooth, but I'd never turn a guitar away because it didnt have it. Heck after the initial thought I'd forget it and play.

I look at it this way. If I had a core, I'd never sell it to buy an S2 and pocket the difference. I'd "probably" never sell it for an S2 to put the money towards another guitar or amp, unless it was something I really wanted and no other way to get it. Just can't see myself "trading down" as you've said. I'd rather have fewer great guitars, than more good ones.

But, if I was buying new and found a great playing S2, I'd gladly save $2K, drop new tuners and pickups in it and still be up a used Splawn Quick Rod.

That said, as much as I love my beauties, I also know just how great a plain jane PRS can be, as dot necked (no, I am NEVER going to get over that!) painted, NF3! That is still the best per dollar spent gear I've ever purchased.

That's the other reason I cracked up... I've had the back plate off my NF3 since I got it. I finally put it and the screws in a plastic baggie and threw them in the case so I wouldn't lose the screws.

If I did that, of course I'd have to send it to the PTC, have them fill the holes, and give it a refinish.

Empty screw holes drive me mad.

"So you like to fill empty holes related to screws, do you?"

"Why, yes."

"You're a very naughty boy, you know."

"You're naughty for thinking that, you perv."

"But I'm you. Which makes both of us very naughty."

Empty screw holes drive me mad.

Must...not...reply...

maxresdefault.jpg

In all seriousness, when I got my first S2 - a Standard 22 - I was annoyed by how the trem cover would snag on my belt. Solution? I removed it. I always remove trem covers. Within 10 minutes of having my ME V, the trem cover was off.

I have not yet owned an S2 without a pickguard. I like the Standards - Singlecut, Double Cut - and the Vela.

As far as my two CE24 Semi-Hollows...never noticed the control cavity had a raised cover. Trem covers? Gone within a few minutes of opening the bags.

It's personal preference. I'm still on the fence about the S2 594. I want one, but there's a lot more the cavity covers I'm struggling with.

As far as my two CE24 Semi-Hollows...never noticed the control cavity had a raised cover. Trem covers? Gone within a few minutes of opening the bags.

Curious did you change any of the pickups or keep them the same and only different finishes? Love my Semi-hollow CE. Such visual eye candy. I could see myself adding another and swapping pickups for different tones

Curious did you change any of the pickups or keep them the same and only different finishes? Love my Semi-hollow CE. Such visual eye candy. I could see myself adding another and swapping pickups for different tones

I kept mine stock. Had them at different times, so it was colors; the first was Trampas, the second was Eriza Verde. I sold the last one to fund my Modern Eagle V, else I would still have it. They are amazing guitars...I will have another, and it will stay forever!!!

Back