PTC returned my two guitars?

Jamme

I sent them my soapie and a 305 for setup new nut and fret level. My question is last time I did this the guitar came back looking new. They buffed the guitar out and got rid of haze small scratches- it looked great. These two came back not touched not even wiped down - dirt finger prints swirls haze very disappointing they have had my guitars for two months- I’m in contact with Ryan right now - has anyone else had this happened- Ryan did say the guitars would look like new when I sent them- this sucks

In my experience with the PTC (for setup or electronics service), my guitars never came back buffed or any better looking than when they went in, per se. They'd be generally clean, but I'd still find fingerprints here or there. Any surface scratches, or anything like that, that were there before it went in didn't receive any special attention or anything. The guitar would come back "generally" clean and the issues I sent it in for resolved.

Pretty cool they sent your first one back in such pristine condition....I've had that happen once with a local luthier years ago when I dropped a guitar off for a basic setup. Came back super-well polished, frets shining, fret board dark and conditioned.

I've never really expected a guitar to come back looking any better than it went it, personally, but it's a great surprise when it does.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this. I have never sent any of mine in for setups. I have sent two in over the years. One was a pickup swap and the other was a finish issue covered under warranty. Both came back great and they were many years apart in going in.

Yea I sent a guitar to PTC when they first opened- the back had a chunk of wood taken out of it from a trem that was blocked with a piece of wood- when the guy I bought it from removed the block of wood it took out a chunk of wood - anyway that’s the one that came back pristine condition like new - $550 too - I guess things have changed- They also left the trem bar in the case loose under the guitar. I just think maybe was a bad time to send a guitar in with Christmas and the new year. Ryan did say the guitars will looke like new when I get them back. I don’t wanna hold him responsible because he didn’t do the work.

I sent it out about a month ago but just confirmed the work to be done on the 14th. I’m having the bridge replaced with a new gen 2 and having the frets done. I would have liked to get new tuning butting for my phase 1s but they don’t carry them anymore, I’m going to get them from John Manns shop. Said it’ll take 6-8 weeks. I didn’t ask for a refinish but they said they’d contact me with any further suggestions. I told him I was looking for optimal performance but that I’d like to keep everything as close to original as possible.

Great to hear!

Seriously, PRS has some of the best Customer Service I have ever experienced from a manufacturer.

Let us know how they look when you get them back...oh, and be sure to post some pics!
That’s what I used to think too until I experienced Musicman’s customer service. Holy crap they’re on another level. So quick to respond.

Meanwhile I contacted PRS customer service about a finish issue not one but 2 of my S2 thinlines are experiencing and haven’t gotten a response.

Shipped it January 31st, confirmed Refret and Bridge replacement February 14th, I reached out March 8th to ask about progress but none had been made yet. I sent another message today asking for any progress.

I have a local luthier who can handle anything I can’t like a refret or bridge replacement. I would suggest finding one either at a local guitar shop or internet.

Just a follow up. I have yet to get ahold of Ryan, the guy I was talking to over at PRS, since the last time I reached him April 5th to find anything out about where my guitar is in the process. It’s been just over 10 weeks since we discussed the work to be done and to proceed. I reached out 7 days ago and didn’t receive a response so I sent another email yesterday.

So figured I’d give a little update on the two thinlines I have at the PTC.

They determined the finish issues warranted a refinish on both guitars and it will take 15-16 weeks for the guitars return.

On the upside the surf green with white pearl is getting a satin finish on the neck while there so that should make it a bit of a one of a kind and easier to sell or trade as in its absence I purchased an S2 10th anniversary in Lake Blue that I vibe with the color in more.

Also I’m having my antique white thinline done completely in satin since I haven’t really seen many guitars in antique white with a satin finish and I love the way satin feels. Since that one is a keeper I’m having its electronics and pickups updated to core and swapping in gold phase III tuners and gold hardware. So they may be gone for a while but at least when they come back they’ll be better than brand new.

So if anyone wants dibs on a one of a kind S2 thinline 594 in surf green w/white metallic pearl with a factory satin neck. Let me know it’ll be back in 15 weeks or so lol.

Back