PRS Tremonti SE Custom

The_Grudge

I live in Canada and about two years ago - it'll be two years next month - I bought a PRS Tremonti SE Custom.

I've enjoyed the guitar for the most part, but there are some things about it that frustrate me. I've had a heck of a time getting the thing to stay in tune, especially in rare moments where I use the trem. I've had it into my local dealer/luthier here in my city (where I bought it), and everyone says he is excellent. People can't say enough good things about him and his shop. I admit he's been generally good to deal with, but he tunes the action high and I always feel like he's in a big rush and disorganized.

The last trip in he made it much better. It's still not the best guitar I've had for staying in tune, but it's much better.

Also - I can't seem to find anything online about this, but the volume/tone knobs are backwards. On every guitar I've ever played the two knobs closest to the headstock are volume and tone for when the toggle is pointed towards the floor, and the two knobs farthest from the neck are volume/tone for when the switch is towards the ceiling. On the Tremonti its reversed. Maybe it's by design, but before I take the pots out and reposition them, I thought I'd check on here to see if this was a defect.

And last but not least, I saw a video online last week where a guy runs his hands up and down the top of the frets and said if you feel any "burrs", this could mean your guitar is defective. Mine has a lot of burrs on the top and bottom of the frets - apparently this means the neck shrunk?

Anyway, I've been playing for 25 years and my old guitars were Epiphone SG's and Les Pauls. They stayed in tune and I hardly touched them for years in terms of adjustment. This PRS seems to be very temperamental and I'm starting to get the vibe that it could be a lemon. Almost as though it was one that a guy returned in another city and when my order came in, they shipped it to me.

Oh, I should also mention that while changing strings a few months ago the nut fell off. Also, when the toggle switch is flicked up, the volume drops about 50%. Toggling it back and fourth a few times fixes the issue. I know these aren't huge issues, but it just adds to the o_O feeling of this instrument

What better place to ask these questions than on a PRS board! I was going to include a photo with a description of the volume/tone layout, but I'm too much of a "newb" to post a photo as they don't trust me just yet LOL

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited:
Back