PRS Solid body for jazz

abcabc

Hello everyone,
I am thinking of buying a PRS solid body guitar (new or used) as these are very comfortable guitars. Which model of PRS and pickups would you suggest to achieve a round, warm, jazzy sound? For example in this video, at around 3:20 you can hear a neck pickup sounding quite bright: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR8RJWCxYFo
I am searching for a more jazzy tone, so please share with me your suggestions.
Thanks!

Are you willing to consider a semi-hollow guitar that's just as comfortable? A Hollowbody Spruce with McCarty Archtop pickups will get you there.

Which amp are you using?

First, PRS guitars have excellent tone controls that work, so it's pretty easy to roll off the brightness. If you can find a PRS with the 53/10s, the neck pickup's jazz tone is fantastic, that's what I'd recommend looking for.

Thanks for your responses.
I would rather like solid body. Currently I have only acoustic AER alpha amp, which in fact produces quite nice effect with electric guitar for solo jazz guitar. I will look at these 53/10 pickups.

In the demo, he pulls the coil tap at the point you noted. Prior to the point, he was playing with the full neck humbucker, which sounds very warm and full.

+1 for what Hans and Les both said.

Hello everyone,
I am thinking of buying a PRS solid body guitar (new or used) as these are very comfortable guitars. Which model of PRS and pickups would you suggest to achieve a round, warm, jazzy sound? For example in this video, at around 3:20 you can hear a neck pickup sounding quite bright: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR8RJWCxYFo
I am searching for a more jazzy tone, so please share with me your suggestions.
Thanks!

I personally think any PRS will do, with the tone rolled off to taste. There's even some pretty cool single coil tones for the Custom 22/24 models. For really jazzbox-type of sound, your best bet would be the Hollowbodies. Same shape, same everything but warmer-sounding.

If you're going solid body I'm not sure I have any one model to suggest. Most any of them will get you in that area I'd reckon.

I have a Brent Mason, and I can get a real good jazz tone from the neck pickup in humbucker mode with the tone rolled off some. I suspect just about any PRS (except an SE One; no neck pickup and no tone control there!) would get there too.

I was on the same quest as you. This below guitar is VERY hard to beat. (Cu22 semi hollow LTD) It is semi hollow with an F hole, but its the same body size and thickness of the solid bodies. In the neck pup, it give HUGE, jazz tones, that when recorded, are had to tell apart from my Johnny Smith or Buscarino. I dont use the trem at all, but the routing is part of what gives it such a huge jazz tone. I have found the stop tails do not sound as big. For some reason, these have sound much better to me than all of the PRS hollowbodies, which I do not really care for at all. The only thing that I have found that is better, are the old Artist 3s with trem and the semi hollow option. These are basically the same guitars, but have no F hole, and the body is about 1/2" thicker. In any case, both of these sounded bigger and gave a better jazz tone to me than my 335s or 347s. Killer guitars for big jazz neck tones, that can also rock out on the bridge if you ever want to.

163965-2.jpg

I was on the same quest as you. This below guitar is VERY hard to beat. (Cu22 semi hollow LTD) It is semi hollow with an F hole, but its the same body size and thickness of the solid bodies. In the neck pup, it give HUGE, jazz tones, that when recorded, are had to tell apart from my Johnny Smith or Buscarino. I dont use the trem at all, but the routing is part of what gives it such a huge jazz tone. I have found the stop tails do not sound as big. For some reason, these have sound much better to me than all of the PRS hollowbodies, which I do not really care for at all. The only thing that I have found that is better, are the old Artist 3s with trem and the semi hollow option. These are basically the same guitars, but have no F hole, and the body is about 1/2" thicker. In any case, both of these sounded bigger and gave a better jazz tone to me than my 335s or 347s. Killer guitars for big jazz neck tones, that can also rock out on the bridge if you ever want to.

163965-2.jpg

...and it sure is pretty!

...and it sure is pretty!

Lol! That one is not mine, its up for sale on the internet brand new at a PRS dealer. (John Manns guitar vault) They also have a red one. I think Musicians friend may have a few left as well.

I suppose you can get the EXP13 408 Semi-Hollow too, if you want something special that sounds a little bit different and also good looking ;)

I suppose you can get the EXP13 408 Semi-Hollow too, if you want something special that sounds a little bit different and also good looking ;)

Although I dug the 408 pups for some things, you loose a good amount of that big jazz neck tone with the narrower humbucker, and that seems to be the prime importance here. (As it is for me in my guitars) To my ear, YMMV, IMO, etc etc

Back