PRS SE Standard Models?

drdoom8793

THAT guy at Chick-fil-A
I just saw a post from Anderton's Music Co. in the UK about new SE Standard models. Just checked their website and found a Standard 245 Stoptail, Standard 22 Stoptail, and a Standard 24 Trem. Nothing on the PRS website from what I found. Possibly a UK/European only model? Anybody have any ideas or know anything more?

Edit: Evidently, they (at least according to the Anderton's post) are including the SE Tremonti Stoptail as part of this new line of SE Standards.

Anderton's Blog Post:
http://blog.andertons.co.uk/guitars/prs-se-standard-models-released

Link Candy:
SE Standard 245
http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-bo...ard-245-electric-guitar-in-vintage-cherry.asp

SE Standard 22
http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-bo...rd-22-electric-guitar-in-tobacco-sunburst.asp

SE Standard 24
http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-bo...s-se-standard-24-electric-guitar-in-black.asp

SE Tremonti Standard:
http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-body-electric-guitars/pid36643/cid671/prs-se-standard-245-electric-guitar-in-translucent-blue.asp

Last edited:
Interesting 499 for hog, 545 for same guitar with maple cap. Hmmm.

Seems to me all of these are going to have the slight bevel that most SEs have today. I don't think they have flat tops.

They've messed up the pics. The 245 and Tremonti appear to be the same. Seems to have neck and body binding. The C22 sounds interesting. Would love an SE version with the maple cap and veneer with a trem.

Seems to be much less of a bevel than the current SE's are sporting. Definitely much flatter.

In the PRS Europe pics the silver ones show the carve to be similar to the current SE's. The tops look flat-ish on the others. Will have to see more pics of these.

They're referring to one model as the 'Singlecut Standard'. Bound neck and body with an all 'hog body. Sounds very tempting!

I don't know why they need these, I thought the SE were cheap enough?

Saw this on Facebook, looks okay, though the one on the right looks like a split in the is down 1/3rd of the way ?

0CffMF3.jpg

Has anyone seen the back of the headstock? I wonder if they're made in Korea. And I just finished tricking out a Tremonti SE Custom............

Anderton's is showing them starting at 399/499 pounds, at current conversion rates that's about $625 to $750 or so. Current prices for SE models from most online dealers in the states are also right in that range, if not a bit cheaper. I don't understand why we would need another "economy" line from PRS if the prices are about the same. Does this mean they are getting rid of the current SE line made in Korea and replacing it with some crap from Indonesia and charging the same prices?

Anderton's is showing them starting at 399/499 pounds, at current conversion rates that's about $625 to $750 or so. Current prices for SE models from most online dealers in the states are also right in that range, if not a bit cheaper. I don't understand why we would need another "economy" line from PRS if the prices are about the same. Does this mean they are getting rid of the current SE line made in Korea and replacing it with some crap from Indonesia and charging the same prices?

Given Paul Reed Smith and the company as a whole seem to always stand for quality it would be an odd move if they did move away from Korea, although they could feel the quality of the SE series could be interfering with S2 sales and the possibility of moving of production is motivated by that. I certainly hope they are sticking with Korea!

There's a psychological price point to be hit with these too. Gives a PRS-branded option at yet another tier, so easier to compete with F&G no doubt (and if they are indeed as good as the other PRS SE instruments, it should be a no-brainer!)

Gotta remember, all the SE models have a relative markup in the UK. For example, a Bernie goes for the equivalent of about $850 USD. That's about a 30% increase over what they cost in the US. So if you were to take that math and apply it to the SE Standards, they come out to around $475. Granted, that's a rough estimate, but I think anywhere $475-$550 would certainly be a good price for these guitars.

As for being made in Indonesia, I'm highly skeptical of that. Not saying it couldn't happen, but why would PRS do it? They already have great quality guitars coming out of WMI in Korea, and to tarnish the reputation of the SE line by taking a chance on a new factory would be risky. Add to that everything that would go into working with a new factory - development, training, delivering parts, etc., that would be a lot of dough to spend. An all hog guitar with no maple top or veneer to apply should be an easy instrument for WMI to put out with considerable savings. Again, not saying Indonesia couldn't happen, but I won't believe it til I see it.

Gotta remember, all the SE models have a relative markup in the UK. For example, a Bernie goes for the equivalent of about $850 USD. That's about a 30% increase over what they cost in the US. So if you were to take that math and apply it to the SE Standards, they come out to around $475. Granted, that's a rough estimate, but I think anywhere $475-$550 would certainly be a good price for these guitars.

I had totally forgotten that UK stores typically include tax or VAT in their displayed pricing, so the pricing they show is starting to make more sense. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what US stores start selling them for. It does make me wonder why PRS needs another tier of guitars that are less expensive then the SE line.

Back