SE versus standard PRS

Leon Smith

I have had a couple PRS guitars before the SE models were introduced. My question of anyone who ca answer is, Are the pickups different on say a CE 24 and an SE 24??? Just bought an SE 24-08 and love it. Looking at a Hollowbody ll with piezo. What "grade" are the pickups???

The 24 - 08 pickups are TCI. The experts on here will know the answer to your question.

My understanding is that most, if not all SE pickups are versions of the core pickups but made overseas with cheaper parts. For example, on the PRS website, the SE CU24 specs show the pickups as '85/15 “S”', meaning that these are "S" versions of the 85/15 pickups. I do not know how close they are in tone to the originals. The SE CU24-08 shows as TCI "S".

The SE24 will have off shore pickups. They usually have an "S" at the end of their number. Different versions of their USA counterparts.

The earlier CE, if I remember correctly, would have the HFS/Vintage Bass set.

Yes they are differnet..all se pickups are the S version and made overseas. If you go to the PRS website it shows which pickups come in what model.

The seHb2 comes with either the 5815S or 5815LT-s. Depending on the year. There's been reports they are the same pickups, but PRS renamed them to keep with the naming convention of the current versions of 5815, the 5815LT. They are nothing like the pickups in the se2408. They're a low turn vintage PAF style.

The se2408 comes with TCI-s pickups, but they are different from the TCI-s Paul's pickups. They read closer to the 8515S. Essentially more like a 8515S TCI.

Last edited:
Back