PRS SE changing strings gauge question

Maha

Hi everyone,

I am very new here in this forum so I hope I am posting this question in the right place. In case not, please direct me to the right section.

So, around 4 months ago I bought a PRS SE Custom 24 Quilt top with strings gauge 9s. I want to change the gauge to 10-52 but before doing that I would like to ask if I will need to do lots of adjustments.

The guitar is currently adjusted very well (for my taste). No buzz, nice string hight, etc... I know that changing the gauge will make the tension higher, therefore could anyone give me some tips in what I should check and adjust once the new strings are in?

Hi and welcome!

Changing to that gauge (I used to use that gauge) will require a few adjustments.

The slots in the nut will need widening, usually you need special files to do this but sometimes you can get away with dragging a string back and forth through the slot but making sure you don't make the slot deeper, just wider. If you never use your trem you can get away with not doing this.

The trem springs will need adjusting to compensate for the higher string tension, this is easy, just take note of how the bridge sits now in relation to the body (should be parallel, 1.6mm off the body), and then return the bridge to this position once you've changed strings. You'll need to adjust and retune a few times. The adjustment is in the trem cavity, and you'll be tightening the 2 trem claw screws.

You'll also need to adjust the neck relief, the process for this can be found in the support section of the PRS site.

You might need to adjust the action to compensate for the slightly thicker strings but you may not notice the difference.

Hope this helps!

Hi and welcome!

Changing to that gauge (I used to use that gauge) will require a few adjustments.

The slots in the nut will need widening, usually you need special files to do this but sometimes you can get away with dragging a string back and forth through the slot but making sure you don't make the slot deeper, just wider. If you never use your trem you can get away with not doing this.

The trem springs will need adjusting to compensate for the higher string tension, this is easy, just take note of how the bridge sits now in relation to the body (should be parallel, 1.6mm off the body), and then return the bridge to this position once you've changed strings. You'll need to adjust and retune a few times. The adjustment is in the trem cavity, and you'll be tightening the 2 trem claw screws.

You'll also need to adjust the neck relief, the process for this can be found in the support section of the PRS site.

You might need to adjust the action to compensate for the slightly thicker strings but you may not notice the difference.

Hope this helps!

+1

I'll add, IMO any gauge change on an SE should be accompanied by a nut filing, either by a tech, or at home IF you have files and know how to use them. Even on my stop tail SE's, tuning is a crap shoot if you go to 10's and bend a lot. It's a quick, cheap job for a tech (often they can do it while you wait), and totally worth it to get the most from your axe!

Congrats on the new SE, good pick on the quilt top!

Hi and welcome!

Hope this helps!

+1

I'll add, IMO any gauge change on an SE should be accompanied by a nut filing, either by a tech, or at home IF you have files and know how to use them. Even on my stop tail SE's, tuning is a crap shoot if you go to 10's and bend a lot. It's a quick, cheap job for a tech (often they can do it while you wait), and totally worth it to get the most from your axe!

Congrats on the new SE, good pick on the quilt top!

Thank you very much for the tips guys. Later today I will be doing the change and adjustments. Your tips were helpful.

For a few years I have been self adjusting my other guitar which has floating bridge, so I guess fixed won't be much different from floating. Perhaps easier. Still, I've never adjusted PRSs and didn't want to mess anything, so your tips and opinions are much valued. Thanks again.

Back