Question about PRS strings

Bebop Slim

Hi everyone. New to the forum and returning to my love of playing the guitar after far too much time away.
I bought a new PRS SE Custom 24 (saving my pennies till I can afford a Core). It came with PRS 09-42 gauge strings which I like. I also ordered 3 extra sets of these strings with the guitar.
When I opened a pack of the new strings to do my first change I find them just coiled in a bag with no indication of which string is what gauge.
Obviously the wound strings are easy to tell which is which, but the unwound strings are a bit more problematic. Especially the 009 and 011. I'm really having trouble differentiating between the two.
I don't understand why PRS would do this. Every other brand of string I have ever used were either individually packaged and labeled with the gauge or had color coded ball ends.

Do I need to buy a digital caliper just to know which string is which?

TIA.

Welcome to the forum!

Maybe place the plain strings next to each other and see if you can feel the difference... I suspect you'll be able to notice.

Otherwise, just order a few sets of Ernie Ball Slinkies in lieu of the PRS branded strings. DR Pure Blues are a wonderful alternative as well ;)

"PRS strings are coiled in pairs: 1st & 4th, 2nd & 5th, 3rd & 6th".

Not the best way to give you differentiation IMO, but other than feeling or measuring with a caliper, it is your best way to tell them apart! Congrats on the new axe, enjoy!!!
Thanks! This will be extremely helpful.

I just opened a pack last night after reading this. My eyes sure "ain't what they used to be" but I could easily tell which string was which just by looking at them.

Neither are mine. Might be time for me to get a new set of coke bottles. lol

And it's better hearing it from a friend, than from your wife! AMIRITE? :D

But it's a great excuse for talking to a pretty woman, and when your wife comes over, you say, "Whoa - I thought it was you! Guess I do need new glasses!"

Yes, just know your limits. A tall busty redhead will still probably get you in trouble if your wife is a petite blonde. Don't ask me how I know.

It all reminds me of a Robert Schimmel joke. He said he went to a bar with his wife, and she wanted to role play, so she said, "I'll go in and get a drink at the bar. You come in five minutes after me and pretend like you don't know me." So he waited five minutes, went in, sat at the other end of the bar and started talking to some young cuties and buying them drinks. His wife came over, and said, "What do you think you're doing?" He said, "Who the hell are you?"

I use D'Addario XL120 strings, 9-42. The ball ends are color-coded, making it easier to tell the plain strings apart.

I use D'Addario XL120 strings, 9-42. The ball ends are color-coded, making it easier to tell the plain strings apart.
Hey there Lava Lamp thanks for the reply.

I use the D'addario XL 110 on my ES-335 and am a fan of the color coded ball ends.
I was just a bit bewildered at why a company with such a stellar reputation as PRS would package their strings the way they do.

When you have several guitars and you change your strings often that extra minute or two trying to figure out which string is which adds up over time.

I'm probably just being a bit too nit-pickey.

Hey there Lava Lamp thanks for the reply.

I use the D'addario XL 110 on my ES-335 and am a fan of the color coded ball ends.
I was just a bit bewildered at why a company with such a stellar reputation as PRS would package their strings the way they do.

When you have several guitars and you change your strings often that extra minute or two trying to figure out which string is which adds up over time.

I'm probably just being a bit too nit-pickey.
They are packed for ease of change, for me. Two strings at a time in each loop, look for the black bead and you're set changing 1 and 4, 2 and 5, and then 3 and 6, tuning each set before you go to the next.

I've changed strings that way for a long time, and was pleasantly surprised when I opened my first PRS string pack. I just ordered 2 sets of 3, 10-46 and 9-42 for the SE's.

Anyway, I think that's why they are packed that way.

They are packed for ease of change, for me. Two strings at a time in each loop, look for the black bead and you're set changing 1 and 4, 2 and 5, and then 3 and 6, tuning each set before you go to the next.

I've changed strings that way for a long time, and was pleasantly surprised when I opened my first PRS string pack. I just ordered 2 sets of 3, 10-46 and 9-42 for the SE's.

Anyway, I think that's why they are packed that way.
Thanks. Appreciate the info.

It Might Be Kind Of Fun Getting The String Gauges Mixed Up...You May Discover Some Magical New Toanz! :)
Lol. I'm having enough struggles just trying to get back into playing again after so long. I'm not sure i could survive any surprises. Lol

Back