PRS S2 Series - USA Built!!! For $1179!!!

From too much experience I can attest that hands on is the only real test that counts with any guitar. I fell in love with the look and sound of a USA Tremonti, but it was never comfortable. It was in no way a bad guitar, just not good for me to have that much money in. I don't see why any one would be upset about more options for more people, even if it's not their personal preference. And especially making the decision without ever touching one. I guess haters gotta hate. What else can they do?

Here are a couple of pics of S2 production.

Necks on the CNC machine
IMG_4369.jpg

And a S2 body fresh from the oven
IMG_4370.jpg

It's my understanding that most (if not all) high end Taylor necks employ a scarf joint and a two piece heel, and the guitars are still very highly regarded. In fact, at one point. Taylor was using a fingerjointed neck to assemble with the headstock (and sonics aside, it was butt-ugly)!

And most people don't realize the the early Martin headstock volute was invented because 19th Century Martin (and many others as well) guitars had the headstock glued on until relatively late in the century, and because adhesives weren't as good then, needed the volute to keep everything together!

I do agree that I'd prefer a one piece neck whenever possible, but at that price it isn't a deal breaker to have a scarfed headstock.

For the #1 production line, it would be something I'd be pretty unhappy about.

I have owned plenty of guitars with scarf joints, and with one exception I have never had any issues with them... but there was that one time. :( I think that there is a market for these guitars, and I am pleased to see them hit the market. I really hope the S2 tuners will become a part of the SE series in the near future.

Scarfed headstocks are quite the norm as Les mentioned above. Many, many High-end builders use this technique. I don't see anything wrong with it.

I'm certainly not saying that they're bad guitars; I have no doubt they'll be superb but it boils down to where your priorities lie to get the guitar to a specific price point. It seems to me that PRS had two choices:

1) Build the guitars in the USA and save costs on the hardware instead.
OR
2) Build the guitars in Korea to save costs and use better quality components.

I'd rather have it built in Korea with full USA spec woods and trems etc. but I realise that for some, having 'Made in USA' stamped on the back is a big deal so they must be happy to sacrifice the quality of the components to achieve that. It's all personal preference and I guess that if I were an American I may view it differently but I'm not and as a result, with the exception of top line PRS guitars, I don't immediately equate 'Made in USA' with quality so it naturally impacts on me less.

I believe it is a mistake to state that building the S2 line in the US means that PRS is trading labor costs for (poorer quality parts and woods) material costs. That MIGHT be true if the S2 line were priced the same as the SE line, but is is not.

It is also a mistake to pontificate on the production process itself and on any assumed shortcuts. Shawn's pics above show how far off base this comment from a post above was:

From the description it sounds like the woods are sourced and rough cut in the far east and then finally sanded and prepared in America.

That is exactly the kind of conjecture that is pointless and leads to misinformation.

Last edited:
I believe it is a mistake to state that building the S2 line in the US means that PRS is trading labor costs for (poorer quality parts and woods) material costs. That MIGHT be true if the S2 line were priced the same as the SE line, but is is not.

By the same token, it may be £400-£500 more expensive than an SE but part of that HAS to be down to higher American production costs. By the same token, it's still £1000-£2000 cheaper than a proper USA made PRS so they're certainly cutting a hell of a lot of cost from somewhere.

I'd rather have it built in Korea with full USA spec woods and trems etc. but I realise that for some, having 'Made in USA' stamped on the back is a big deal so they must be happy to sacrifice the quality of the components to achieve that.

What you're saying is you want the Core line built in Korea, and you're disappointed because that's not what the S2 line does.

Got it.

I'd rather have it built in Korea with full USA spec woods and trems etc. but I realise that for some, having 'Made in USA' stamped on the back is a big deal so they must be happy to sacrifice the quality of the components to achieve that. It's all personal preference and I guess that if I were an American I may view it differently but I'm not and as a result, with the exception of top line PRS guitars, I don't immediately equate 'Made in USA' with quality so it naturally impacts on me less.

Understood - for me it's not simply having the words stamped on the guitar, its knowing that people I know and love will continue to earn a living doing something that enjoy and believe in and a company that started by those practices continue to instill them as they grow and thrive.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd rather they kept costs down by making it in Korea with the SE but throwing more money at the quality of the components involved and leave the USA models as the absolutely top drawer guitars.

I get what you're saying and why you feel that way but I see it from the other side.

A good guitar starts with good wood. Anything else can be changed.
If the wood is inferior, the guitar won't sound great no matter what hardware and electronics are in there.
I like the SE's but that is the only issue I have with them. I've owned quite a few and changed all the hardware and all the electronics to top drawer stuff and they still did not sound as good as my CE24. They sounded good but there was always something missing.
If the S2's have the same quality of woods as the Core line, then that is perfect in my book. I can change out anything else but I want a guitar to start with good wood and good frets. Those are the 2 areas that are lacking in the SE's in my opinion.

I'm not knocking the SE's, I love them, but they just cannot equal the USA line. The S2's may be able to match up in tone and that's what counts for me.

It's not about the guitars being made in the United States. World Musical Instruments isn't a PRS subsidiary. World Musical Instruments is an Asian contract manufacturer that also produces guitars such as the Ibanez Premium line. The S2 line is what most people wanted when the SE line was being developed; namely, a more affordable "real deal" PRS guitar. Mark my word, the SE line is not long for this world in the U.S. if these guitars come close to $1K "street." A cost differential of three to four hundred dollars is not enough of a delta to persuade someone from purchasing an SE over a "real deal," "Paul Reed Smith" signature logo bearing PRS. The bridge and pickups on an S2 can be upgraded. However, no amount of upgrading is going to transform a PRS In Name Only (PINO) SE into a "real deal" PRS.

Understood - for me it's not simply having the words stamped on the guitar, its knowing that people I know and love will continue to earn a living doing something that enjoy and believe in and a company that started by those practices continue to instill them as they grow and thrive.

+1000

That's what most of the bashers are overlooking. These guitars will be built by the people who volunteer to be are our gracious hosts during Experience. They are the heart and soul of PRS. After attending an Experience or two, they become family.

I'm certainly not saying that they're bad guitars; I have no doubt they'll be superb but it boils down to where your priorities lie to get the guitar to a specific price point. It seems to me that PRS had two choices:

1) Build the guitars in the USA and save costs on the hardware instead.
OR
2) Build the guitars in Korea to save costs and use better quality components.

While I'm excited to try an S2 guitar, i'd have to agree with the above.
To me there still is a 'gap' in the market. The ultimate win-win for the customer would be guitars made in a low cost location such as Korea, to full Maryland line specs, including high quality tone-woods. That could potentially make what is a $2,500 guitar made in USA, available for $1,500-1800, made in Korea.

I don't think that will happen anytime soon though, if ever, as it would threaten cannibalizing the USA made sales.

+1000

That's what most of the bashers are overlooking. These guitars will be built by the people who volunteer to be are our gracious hosts during Experience. They are the heart and soul of PRS. After attending an Experience or two, they become family.

While I'm sure the Experience is great, PRS is now a global brand with customers in every corner of the world. Most of the customers who live outside the US will never get a chance to go to Experience so really, while what you're saying may hold great value to you, it doesn't really come into the equation for a lot of people.

While I'm sure the Experience is great, PRS is now a global brand with customers in every corner of the world. Most of the customers who live outside the US will never get a chance to go to Experience so really, while what you're saying may hold great value to you, it doesn't really come into the equation for a lot of people.

I don't agree. Attending the Experience was a sidebar to his point.

'Great people who care a great deal about the guitars they make' comes into the equation for anyone who cares that their instrument was made by people who want to make instruments and do it with love - not by people who just managed to find a job at a factory.

I want my Land Rover made in Solihull, England. I want my beer made in Pottsville, Pennsylvania. I want my 1911 .45 ACP made in Berryville, Arkansas. And it has everything to do with the people.

Last edited:
I like the SE's but that is the only issue I have with them. I've owned quite a few and changed all the hardware and all the electronics to top drawer stuff and they still did not sound as good as my CE24. They sounded good but there was always something missing.

Like four bolts? :biggrin: Nothing sounds like a CE.

I believe it is a mistake to state that building the S2 line in the US means that PRS is trading labor costs for (poorer quality parts and woods) material costs.

The real question, to my mind, is whether the S2 series uses the same wood selection and drying process as the core line. If it does, then you're already talking about materials that beat the SE line.

I am very excited for a mid range price guitar from the amazing folks at the PRS factory!! Those people are awesome!! I love my USA PRS's, best guitars in the world! I also have 2 SE models that I've modded and really like as well. I think its awesome because probably for a little more than an SE you can get a sweet S2...custom in my case..hand crafted by the amazing folks at the PRS factory and leave it be or if you get a custom, just get a USA trem and you have what appears will be an awesome guitar. Or...send it to Shawn at the PTC and do a few upgrades and BAM!! For me, I love singlecuts and this ...well its a sign...time for a Custom 24 baby!!

Back