PRS S2 Series - USA Built!!! For $1179!!!

Obviously I wouldn't be expecting a full spec PRS made in Korea for the price of the S2, all I'm saying is that by having production in Korea it would have freed up a bit of money to make the guitar itself better. I may be cynically British but this whole argument about things being made with loving care in certain locations, while true up to a point, has distinct flaws. Now I haven't got a clue what a '1911 .45 ACP' is so the location of manufacture isn't something I'm losing sleep over. As I'm British, I'd rather my beer was made in Britain but in fairness, what you call beer isn't really proper beer to us so that's rather subjective. To each his own and as long as you like it, that's fine by me. Cars are a rather more difficult one. I'd certainly rather have a European, Asian or Eastern car than an American car but other than that, I'm not too bothered. I used to work for Land Rover so I can tell you that most people at the factory were there simply because it was a job and it was nothing more idealistic than that. I think a better example of what you're trying to say might be something like a Morgan. With that car I'd agree with you - it is made by people who simply love the brand.

I do see the appeal in an S2, I really do but I think the whole 'American made' thing probably impacts more on the domestic market than it will on the rest of the world and that's why for me, it would need a lot more about it than simply being made in the American factory. As a guy on another forum has pointed out, some of the things that PRS have said about the new line warrant further investigation before I'd jump into buying one as it strikes me that their language has been chosen VERY carefully.

"While some of the design and construction methods used in the S2 Series (the neck blank’s starting dimension across the Series and the S2 Custom’s wood grade, for example) allowed us to use less expensive and more readily available woods, no compromise has been made to the tone or integrity of S2 instruments."

Clearly a compromise must have been made if they are using cheaper and more readily available woods to say nothing of the passing comment about wood grade. These S2 guitars are quite clearly not made from the same wood as a full spec PRS and that's important because as many people on here have pointed out, the wood will make all the difference. It's this phrasing that makes me think that the wood used will have as much in common with the SE line as it does the 'core' line.

"Our PRS S2 locking tuners are used across the S2 Series. These proprietary tuners are reminiscent of our “Phase II” tuners"

That word 'reminiscent' can cover an awful lot of ground.

"the nut, jack assembly, fret wire, electronics knobs, and strings are all shared between our Core and S2 instruments."

Note it only says the knobs are the same as the full spec PRS guitars, not the pots.

"If there was a time that we could not share a component with our current Core lineup, we set out to design a new process for ourselves or source new, proprietary components"

So you mean make a cheaper version!

These are all areas where costs are being cut and that's fine because they have to make the guitar a hell of a lot cheaper than the full spec versions. All I'm saying is that if production was in Korea, some of these costs wouldn't have to be cut.

While I'm sure the Experience is great, PRS is now a global brand with customers in every corner of the world. Most of the customers who live outside the US will never get a chance to go to Experience so really, while what you're saying may hold great value to you, it doesn't really come into the equation for a lot of people.

PRS is not a faceless multinational corporation, nor is it a label such as Ibanez. PRS is an American guitar manufacturer, more specifically a Maryland-based guitar manufacturer that was founded by a Marylander and built into what it is today with the assistance of many other Marylanders and Americans from other parts of the country. The Maryland-made PRS guitars are the result of a unique company culture. The offshore outsourcing of the SE line was a compromise that PRS had to make because they did not have the processes in place to produce instruments at low enough price points. PRS has now matured enough to produce what the guitar community wanted when a lower-priced line was first considered.

PRS is not a faceless multinational corporation, nor is it a label such as Ibanez. PRS is an American guitar manufacturer, more specifically a Maryland-based guitar manufacturer that was founded by a Marylander and built into what it is today with the assistance of many other Marylanders and Americans from other parts of the country. The Maryland-made PRS guitars are the result of a unique company culture. The offshore outsourcing of the SE line was a compromise that PRS had to make because they did not have the processes in place to produce instruments at low enough price points. PRS has now matured enough to produce what the guitar community wanted when a lower-priced line was first considered.

While there are some bits I don't agree with there, I think that is probably just because I'm not from Maryland and not even American so you may well be right. I do however, agree with the last bit you said wholeheartedly. It would be a shame to see the SE line go as they are incredibly good instruments for the price but I can quite see the reasoning behind making a cheaper version 'in house'. I think my real issue with the S2 is where they've pitched it. At the moment it's a bit too close to the price of the SE without having enough about it to warrant the extra expense. If it is to be made in America, I'd rather they'd not cut quite so many corners and moved the price up a bit; maybe more like $1500, or made it in Korea and moved the spec up quite a bit.

"Our PRS S2 locking tuners are used across the S2 Series. These proprietary tuners are reminiscent of our “Phase II” tuners"

The S2 machine heads are basically Phase II machine heads with anti-rotation pins instead of screws.

"the nut, jack assembly, fret wire, electronics knobs, and strings are all shared between our Core and S2 instruments."

Note it only says the knobs are the same as the full spec PRS guitars, not the pots.

If you knew anything about the Core line pots, you would know that they have a different spline than the generic CTS pots that are used on most other high-end guitars. Off-the-shelf knobs do not fit PRS pots. If standard PRS knobs fit the S2 pots, then they are OEM parts like the core line pots, which means that they are not cheap pots.

All I'm saying is that if production was in Korea, some of these costs wouldn't have to be cut.

However, the guitar would not be a PRS.

While there are some bits I don't agree with there, I think that is probably just because I'm not from Maryland and not even American so you may well be right. I do however, agree with the last bit you said wholeheartedly. It would be a shame to see the SE line go as they are incredibly good instruments for the price but I can quite see the reasoning behind making a cheaper version 'in house'. I think my real issue with the S2 is where they've pitched it. At the moment it's a bit too close to the price of the SE without having enough about it to warrant the extra expense. If it is to be made in America, I'd rather they'd not cut quite so many corners and moved the price up a bit; maybe more like $1500, or made it in Korea and moved the spec up quite a bit.

Yupp. Agree with this.

However, the guitar would not be a PRS.

Why not? Why does it HAVE to be Maryland made to be a PRS? I'm not trying to discount the roots, heritage, or culture, but I don't get the hangup on it having to be made in Maryland to be a 'PRS'

All I could say is that, please people, do not judge the book by its cover. Same here, please do not bash any guitar base on its spec. Wait until we could hold them, play them then we can make our own "rightful" judgement.

To my British Lucy friends, here's the big deal about it being US made, and Maryland made, in the PRS Factory:

The electric guitar began as a uniquely American product to play music styles that began as uniquely American, too. I know this seems jingoist, but lots of Americans are justly proud of this stuff, and prefer American guitars to any others. And we have more guitarists in this country than anywhere else, so that makes sense in a way.

You know, we love foreign products. They're mostly what we buy. But when it comes to guitars, we like American stuff best. Maybe we know something?

Many players from other countries agree that American made electric guitars are, for whatever reason, the best in the world. You certainly see the finest musicians in the world predominantly playing them.

And it's my belief that PRS are the best of the American guitars (YMMV). There's a reason for that, and it all starts in Maryland with Paul Smith, the person.

Americans, no doubt many who play these guitars themselves, will build them; as Em7 points out, they will not be contracted out overseas to a company that is an outsource for other manufacturers. The folks who build these guitars will be trained and supervised by Paul Smith and his team. They will have PRS touches.

Paul Reed Smith himself, who started the business, who manages production, and who can observe the progress of this line first-hand nearly every working day, will be supervising this product. That is very important, and will result in a better product at every step because he is a hands on kind of person. In fact, I'd say it goes beyond important, it's crucial.

Now, one may discount all of this, and say "so what, it's just a matter of training people, once that's done it doesn't matter where it's made." But that wouldn't be true.

Because the Maryland PRS factory turns out what many think are the best sounding guitars in the world, and other factories and places don't. There is a reason for it, and it isn't just nuts and bolts, wood and glue. And wires and stuff. But you know what I mean, right? It's about an attitude that the people in the factory have about what they're building, and it's the leadership PRS provides.

Someone in this thread speculated that the new US S2 line would put the SE line out of business, because the difference in price is only $400 or so. Well, nonsense. There are tons of folks, including parents of teenagers and students, for whom that $400 difference is HUGE. There are also more casual players for whom that difference wouldn't be worth the extra expense.

Finally, it is utter speculation to say "if only they made them in Korea they could raise the spec."

Really? You haven't even played one! You have no idea what the guitar will be like, how it will sound, or how it will play. You don't even know what the spec is.

Why not let reality play out? Play one first. Then decide. And then come online and complain if you're not happy.

Last edited:
It's all good folks, there is no need to argue.

We pour our hearts and souls into every guitar we offer and we try to offer guitars in many price ranges and in many styles. We have everything from the blue collar SE One all the way up to the SE with lots of bells and whistles, the Torero. We offer the simplicity of the Mira all the way up to a fully loaded Private Stock and everything in between. We understand that the new S2 models may not appeal to everyone and we're OK with that. But maybe the S2 guitars WILL appeal to those who never considered a PRS in the past? Either way, no need to argue over who is right and who is wrong. We all love to play guitar and most, if not all of us, enjoy playing at least one PRS.

Plug in and turn it up boys, the night is young!

We pour our hearts and souls into every guitar we offer....

:congrats:
In my mind you guys are the Ferraris of guitars. And I love the fact that your offering a taste of that passion and commitment to as many people as possible so it's not an exclusive club.

Last edited:

We pour our hearts and souls into every guitar we offer and we try to offer guitars in many price ranges and in many styles. We have everything from the blue collar SE One all the way up to the SE with lots of bells and whistles, the Torero. We offer the simplicity of the Mira all the way up to a fully loaded Private Stock and everything in between. We understand that the new S2 models may not appeal to everyone and we're OK with that. But maybe the S2 guitars WILL appeal to those who never considered a PRS in the past? Either way, no need to argue over who is right and who is wrong. We all love to play guitar and most, if not all of us, enjoy playing at least one PRS.

Well put there Shawn, you're the man! :congrats:

I think this is a great project. Two of the guitars in the line are exclusive to the S2 series (Starla, Mira), and PRS can't make enough Custom 24's at any price, so a well played move by them. I bet Gibson is more than a little concerned about this, and they should be. Their low budget USA made guitars are, in my experience, hit and miss at best, and you can bet Paul won't be letting any S2's out of the factory in that shape.

If anyone has a right to complain, it's me! The resale value for my Mira Korina just plummeted. :laugh:

The good news is that I have no intention of selling my Mira Korina. It's my favorite PRS. Miras rock! :rock:

I don't think anyone will argue with the fact that the guitars that come out of the Maryland factory are all top quality instruments. The craftsmanship and attention to detail of the core lineup are stunning. I won't know until I actually hold one, but I suspect the new S2 lineup will be no different. Yes, there are some differences in production, but that doesn't necessarily mean this line of guitars are inferior to their older brothers. Seems to me that the basis of the S2 guitar will be there. Things like hardware and electronics can be upgraded if they are found to be personally unacceptable.

We Americans are a funny lot of people. We will fight with one another over the best way to manage our country's affairs, but most of us will agree that any company that builds something in this country is a good thing, regardless of our political leanings. We used to produce many products in this country that were universally accepted as being the best in the world. As time went by, we have managed to ship production of American owned company's products all over the world and there are fewer and fewer products that are truly "Made In The U.S.A." Paul Reed Smith core lineup guitars are one of the few products left that we can say are made in the U.S.A., and that are accepted worldwide as some of the very best guitars produced. We Americans are sensitive to the idea that we should just ship more jobs to another country to produce a product for an American company, especially given the current economic realities.

I would like to personally thank PRS for making the decision to keep these jobs in the United States.

Last edited:
If anyone has a right to complain, it's me! The resale value for my Mira Korina just plummeted. :laugh:

The good news is that I have no intention of selling my Mira Korina. It's my favorite PRS. Miras rock! :rock:

Actually, I think you have that wrong. Since the "core" Mira will be discontinued, you just got handed a limited edition collector piece. Same for my Mira Maple. :)

rugerpc - still astonished at the level of H&D from people who haven't even seen one in person yet...

Last edited:

With this I felt a burst of excitement and opportunity.

Then the let down. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

:congrats:
In my mind you guys are the Ferraris of guitars. And I love the fact that your offering a taste of that passion and commitment to as many people as possible so it's not an exclusive club.

Aw crap, does that mean PRSs are just tarted up FIATs? :vroam:

:laugh:

Let's have a parade of Miras and Starlas to help build anticipation for the new models.

My '09 Mira Korina

ModdedMiraK-1.jpg

ModdedMiraK-2.jpg

Back