PRS McCarty side marker question???

Milkbone

I have a '07 McCarty and noticed that the 12th fret has a single dot side maker instead of double. Is this the norm on McCartys?

I most, if not all models had only a single dot on the side of the 12th fret until sometime in the early 2000's, IIRC. There may have been one model that always had 2 dots on the 12th, but I'm not positive.

Single side dot on the 12th fret was the PRS standard for roughly 20 years. I believe (not 100% positive) the switch over was closer to 2005.

From the PRS Guitar Book (turned up on a search on Google Books):

"The first PRS guitar to feature two side dots was the 513 Rosewood. According to an ECN implemented 12th January 2005, double dots would be now be added to all 25" scale necks."

I assume an ECN is some sort of company memo. The 513 Rosewood was introduced some time in 2004.

From the PRS Guitar Book (turned up on a search on Google Books):

"The first PRS guitar to feature two side dots was the 513 Rosewood. According to an ECN implemented 12th January 2005, double dots would be now be added to all 25" scale necks."

I assume an ECN is some sort of company memo. The 513 Rosewood was introduced some time in 2004.

This^^^^

ECN = Engineering Change Notification.

Why was one marker standard for so long? To be different than every other guitar company? I can't see a functional purpose for only one dot at the 12th?

Well, this seems to be all over the place. My McCarty is S/N 7 34XXX so that makes it an '07, correct? Single dot....

Well, this seems to be all over the place. My McCarty is S/N 7 34XXX so that makes it an '07, correct? Single dot....

Yea sure looks like a 97' since it was in the 34,000th range of set neck produced guitars. I'm assuming you purchased used? And weren't told how old it is? It must be well taken care of to look ten years younger then it is.

Either way my '04 Custom has one and the '08 has two, and I barely even notice when switching.

Back