PRS SE McCarty 594 vs SE 24-08

FirasR

Hi folks, I'm a newer PRS guitar owner with an SE Paul's Guitar (2022) that I love and is a contender in comfort and play ability with my Fender American Pro II HSS Strat. I love the different feel and tone of both guitars and enjoy playing them both. I love listening to and playing Alternative & Classic Rock, and more recently have been focusing on listening to and learning the Blues.

I was hoping to buy a PRS SE Hollowbody II (Faded Blue Burst) for my upcoming birthday in June but they seem to be out of stock in European & UK online retailers (Thomann's, Anderton's, Peach Guitars, etc.) where I usually order my gear from (I live in Kuwait and we don't have PRS guitars here).

Thomann have released a pair of 70th anniversary SE guitars that I'm interested in as an alternative to the above:

PRS 70th SE McCarty 594 Quilt FBB (double cut)
PRS 70th SE Custom 24-08 Quilt FBB

I'm leaning more towards the McCarty 594 since it has completely different pickups (the Thomann website has them listed as "Pickups: PRS 58/15 LT (Bridge), PRS 58/15 LT (Neck)" which are the PRS Core model pickups and not the PRS 58/15 LT "S" that usually come with SE McCarty guitars. I've emailed them to confirm if this is true or just a typo and should instead be the SE versions of those pickups which I suspect will be the case as the price isn't much higher than the standard SE McCarty 594s.

Assuming it has the SE pickups (which are the same as the SE Hollowbody II I wanted to get) I wanted to hear people's thoughts and experiences with the two SE guitars and how they compare to the PRS SE Paul's Guitar which I already have, since I'm looking for a different tone and feel from a new guitar purchase for slow blues and classic rock.

I noticed that the SE Custom 24-08 has the same TCI "S" pickups as the ones in the SE Paul's Guitar, so that might be redundant, knowing that the extra fret count will have a different overall sound of the guitar, but not sure if it will be different enough.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I'd bet it's a typo and the pickups are the 5815LT-S in the se594. I don't see an engraving on the pickups, ad words hyping the core pickups, and the price doesn't justify that sort of upgrade.

The TCI pickups in the Pauls and seCu2408 are differnet. Even though both named TCI the readings and tone are quiet a bit different.

Both are pretty sweet looking and completely different guitars. Get the one that speaks to you.

Last edited:
Welcome! I agree with SinSir, almost certain Thomann isn't offering the USA pickups, but that's still a good deal on those guitars.

I've always been biased towards 594's anyhow, but I think you'll find the 594 will be better suited to what you want, and more "different" from the Paul's that you already have than the 24-08 would be. But also Hollowbodys are the best - Start saving up for that to be your next next PRS!

I own an SE CU24-08, the only other PRS I have is an SE Tremonti but the 24-08 is usually the one I grab first and play most. It’s a great piece and hopefully if I don’t screw up the mannmade bridge replacement just a little bit sweeter

I'd bet it's a typo and the pickups are the 5815LT-S in the se594. I don't see an engraving on the pickups, ad words hyping the core pickups, and the price doesn't justify that sort of upgrade.

The TCI pickups in the Pauls and seCu2408 are differnet. Even though both named TCI the readings and tone are quiet a bit different.

Both are pretty sweet looking and completely different guitars. Get the one that speaks to you.

@SinSir yup, Thomann replied to my email that it's probably a typo and will be correcting it.
Thanks for clarifying the different pickups in the SE Custom 24-08 and SE Paul's.

Welcome! I agree with SinSir, almost certain Thomann isn't offering the USA pickups, but that's still a good deal on those guitars.

I've always been biased towards 594's anyhow, but I think you'll find the 594 will be better suited to what you want, and more "different" from the Paul's that you already have than the 24-08 would be. But also Hollowbodys are the best - Start saving up for that to be your next next PRS!

@show_a_little_faith thank you ☺️ I've done some more research, and found the newly released S2 McCarty 594 comes with the USA pickups now and the amount I saved for my new guitar is over half the price of the S2, so I've decided to just wait, save up some more and get one of the newer ones in Lake Blue. I've asked Thomann to let me know when they expect to have those in stock, hopefully in a few months time. Then of course, I'll have to start saving for a Hollowbody (probably a used Core) 😂

Not to forget the amber lampshades ofc

@TheCraftsman I put those on my SE Paul's, they're so much better looking than the standard knobs it came with 😍

Was just checking their site, That single cut 594 Beach Fade Quilt 70th An. Is a looker!

@SinSir yup, Thomann replied to my email that it's probably a typo and will be correcting it.
Thanks for clarifying the different pickups in the SE Custom 24-08 and SE Paul's.

@show_a_little_faith thank you ☺️ I've done some more research, and found the newly released S2 McCarty 594 comes with the USA pickups now and the amount I saved for my new guitar is over half the price of the S2,
Welcome! Smart call on the S2 594. The s2 line is already great and absolutely killer with the core pickups and electronics. Watch for the S2 10th anniversary models. They have core pickups too. Absolutely rock! In the states I've seen some smokin deals used. And even sales new. They have a lake blue DC594.

Last edited:
Thomann have a s2 10th an. 594DC in LB available in a couple weeks with a lead time in the s2 594DC with a few months (although it still states it uses the ‘s’ pickups. I don’t see the new s2 594DC there yet.

£2600 seems steep however given what you could probably get used in a near mint state in a Core for not much more

Thomann have a s2 10th an. 594DC in LB available in a couple weeks with a lead time in the s2 594DC with a few months (although it still states it uses the ‘s’ pickups. I don’t see the new s2 594DC there yet.

£2600 seems steep however given what you could probably get used in a near mint state in a Core for not much more

I did have my eye on the PRS S2 10th Anniv. McCarty 594 Lake Blue from Thomann, for me the price listed comes to around $2600 (no tax) without shipping. I'm hoping once the newer 2024 S2 McCarty 594 is released there it should be cheaper than that ($2349 at Sweetwater but they don't ship to my country).

In any case, I'm giving myself a few more months to save up for it and to slow down my guitar buying spree so it doesn't get out of control (or any more so at least 😂) since I only bought my SE Paul's back in Feb.

Hey y’all, new guy here. Got an SE Custom 24 in blue fade a couple months ago. Absolutely love this guitar! 850$ was a steal. I played multiple S2’s and came to the conclusion the SE’s are are better deal for me. My SE plays and sounds just as good, I even like the SE carve much better. Thanks to this thread I bought the SE Custom 24-08 in faded blue burst. I’m hooked.

Back