Personal story: Here's how PRS got me hooked...

Spidouz

I'm quite sure I'm not the only over here to be hooked to PRS guitars... But here's how PRS got me hooked.

As mentioned in my introduction post, I did start music as a drummer and later keyboard player. So I'm not really a guitarist per se, and definitely a poor one in comparison to so many talented guitarist out there. But I still have a passion for guitars... even more than any other instruments. Go figure...

I have few guitars I had before to even know PRS, that I discovered 13 years ago by a good friend of mine. I was jamming with him, and I saw his Custom 24, tried it and really liked it. When he got his Santana II, I kept his Custom 24 at home for a while and I really liked the way it was playing, the feel of the neck, the sound, etc...

When time came for me to buy a serious guitar (after so many years), I went to the studio to try all guitars my friends already brought (some vintage Fender Strat John Cruz, Vintage Gibson Les Paul, Custom Tele, etc...). Since my youngest age, I always had a thing for Les Paul guitars, mainly for the singlecut shape, and because it was used by some of the artists I like (such Gary Moore, may he rest in peace).

So I went to the local music store and I tried pretty much all Gibson Les Paul they had... and I couldn't believe how hard it was to find a good one. I'm not that much of a great player, but I have good ears (actually very great ones to be really honest) and I have good feel when it comes to touch things, product design, finishing, etc... And I couldn't find a good Gibson, even for the ones in the $2,500 price range (Not even mentioning some the crappy electronic tuners).

And one day, I tried the PRS SE Paul Allender of my friend, and I was stunned by the quality... I always thought the SE models was probably pretty crappy and not really good. In 2013 I found that PRS did a SE 245 with Quilt Top in Limited Edition for the UK. I just felt in love and it was way cheaper than some of the Gibson Les Paul I saw previously. The only problem? I'm living in Europe, but not in the UK... so I couldn't go in a store to try it. So I just bought it over the Internet.

The guitar came home, and out of the box, it was perfect... and guess what? It was even in tune. I know, I know, Paul himself say it often in all the videos on youtube, etc... but I always thought it was a marketing thing. But actually, even for the SE, it was true. And the finishing, feel and sound was honestly so much better than some of the $2,000+ Les Paul I was trying. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there's no good Les Paul... but just that you have to dig a lot to find THE one (unless you spend very large bucks for). You really have to be brave to buy a Gibson Les Paul Standard over the internet without even testing it... while it was absolutely no problem for the PRS SE.

Very lately, after a long period of saving to buy a PRS DC3 (because I like the Singlecut sound, but really want the singlecoil sound now), but I couldn't find any anymore.
I was looking at all stores online, but nothing. But I found a PRS Brent Mason. It was my dream guitar, but I always thought I couldn't really afford it *right now*, but surprisingly I found one at a very very good price, exactly like I like it, white with maple neck, from 2013 but new (apparently from a mom and pop shop that just got a brand new online store). The store was 10 hours away from my home, so I didn't really wanted to drive that much just to check a guitar... So once again, I bought it over the internet.

And once again, when the guitar came home, it was in perfect shape, absolutely flawless, and it was almost in tune (it was probably tune by ears because the whole guitar was few dozen of cents off). It's the second PRS guitar I just bought from the Internet without even testing them and they are perfect... the quality is flawless. This is not something I found with other brands when I was looking in stores.

Regardless what guitar I could seek for a while, I will always get back to PRS. I don't even really consider Gibson anymore.
It's just sad PRS hasn't done enough to be really on the Fender market. So I only wish they would do now a S2 DC3 with SSS and HSS configuration... Oh boy, that would be great!

So, I have a very high trust in PRS. And that's actually how PRS got me hooked...

Thank you PRS

It's amazing how many of us have similar stories to tell. Mine goes back to 1991, but the net result is the same - PRS became my "voice" on guitar. Today it's not only electric guitars, but acoustic guitar, and even amplifiers.

Paul never stops further development on the instruments. He's always pushing for better tone, better playability and feel, even better finishes. So there's a wonderful progression of the guitars improving in every way.

This extends to the acoustics, and also to Doug Sewell's amplifiers.

These are powerful tools for serious and casual players alike. I guess you could say I'm hooked, but that would be an understatement. ;)

Yep, can relate to a lot of that.

Tried a lot of Gibson & High end Epi's before getting my Bernie. Couldn't find one I liked. Actually bought a Schecter that seemed to float my boat because they didn't have the Bernie's at the time. Had to take that back due to issues that I really, really should have spotted and lo and behold they had the Bernie's in. That guitar was equal to, if not better than the Gibson LP studios that cost hundreds more.

I haven't had the chance to try an acoustic yet, but it's on my never-ending wish list of course. But I'm really interested in the basses actually.

Regarding Amps, I only hear them during trade shows and I have to be honest I always had a thing for Mesa Boogie. But lately, with my health issues, I'm really looking at modern modelling systems (I know, I know, it's shameful for some of us, but I just can't carry 80 lbs equipment anymore with my broken back). But somehow, I loved the Sweet 16 I saw in a video (again, I like tiny and light gear now).

It's just too bad some models are quickly removed from the product line. That's the only thing I regret from PRS... sometimes I'd love to say: Please, give me enough time to save up to buy the damn thing.... By the time I'm ready, it's already gone. LOL!

That's why I'm so glad I could get my Brent Mason just in time (for once).
The Bernie looks really good... I actually like the knobs placement even better than traditional SC. As mentioned, definitely worth it.

The great thing with PRS is that, so far, I never ever picked up a PRS guitar and found out that it wasn't any good, or had any quality problem, finishing problem, etc... NEVER, from the SE to the PS and everything in between. Of course, quality of the finishing increase... the more we pay, the better it is. But each guitars are actually worth their price. I would be very confident to recommend a SE to someone without thinking: "well, that's cheap but not great, so if you want something good, buy that instead". There's no need for that and the entry price PRS are still very good and capable instruments.

I know, I might sound like a fanboy or like an ad for PRS... but that's probably what you get once you have real trust in a company and its products. As said, I'm hooked... and yes, it's an understatement :)

I haven't had the chance to try an acoustic yet, but it's on my never-ending wish list of course. But I'm really interested in the basses actually.

Regarding Amps, I only hear them during trade shows and I have to be honest I always had a thing for Mesa Boogie.

I like Mesa amps, too, and have had the Mark V, Maverick, Tremoverb, Subway Rocket, Blue Angel, Stiletto, and Bass 400+.

Right now I have an HXDA and a DG30. Both amps are much, much quieter when a note isn't being played than any Mesa. I think this contributes to a better sound, because the notes emerge from a quiet background and aren't fighting through hash, hum and noise. Also, there is a sonic difference between a circuit board amp and a hand-wired amp - some magazine recently did a test and was able to measure a difference in them as well!

However, there are times when a Mesa is the right tool in the studio, and despite my few criticisms, there are sounds they make that are unique to Mesa. So, horses for courses!

As for modeling amps, well, I'm not a fan of the way they sound, but as a back pain sufferer I understand where you're coming from. Fortunately, my amps live in the studio and my gigs are all recording sessions, so it's not something I'm concerned with once the amp is installed in my room!

I was lucky. I only had one electric before I discovered an SE CU24, and that's what got me hooked. I now have 4, one of which is an acoustic. I have always had an excellent eye and feel for quality, just not the wallet to indulge my good taste. ;)

No doubt that's why I don't have a PRS amp. Yet!

I like Mesa amps, too, and have had the Mark V, Maverick, Tremoverb, Subway Rocket, Blue Angel, Stiletto, and Bass 400+.

Right now I have an HXDA and a DG30. Both amps are much, much quieter when a note isn't being played than any Mesa. I think this contributes to a better sound, because the notes emerge from a quiet background and aren't fighting through hash, hum and noise. Also, there is a sonic difference between a circuit board amp and a hand-wired amp - some magazine recently did a test and was able to measure a difference in them as well!

However, there are times when a Mesa is the right tool in the studio, and despite my few criticisms, there are sounds they make that are unique to Mesa. So, horses for courses!

Please stop... I just can't afford right now to look at PRS Amps because in the end, I know for sure it's gonna cost me... :)

As for modeling amps, well, I'm not a fan of the way they sound, but as a back pain sufferer I understand where you're coming from. Fortunately, my amps live in the studio and my gigs are all recording sessions, so it's not something I'm concerned with once the amp is installed in my room!

I hear you. Over here, I'm between home and two studios we run with friends of mine (one is 45 mn away and the second one is 1h30 away). There's plenty of good gear to use, so that's great... but I either have to drive down there, or I have to bring some gear at home (which means carry all the stuff). And in the end, my home isn't acoustically as good as the studio, I don't have all mics and preamps, etc... and I can't play very loud at 3am. So it's not really practical.

It's only lately with the Kemper that I found that I could finally have at home the same sound (or close enough for me to not be noticeable). Which means, I could continue to work at home on a project we did record and start in the studio... with a sound pretty much just as good on the track, and without all pain of carrying stuff. It's not "perfect", I agree, but it's an appealing solution when even the guitar by itself seems too heavy to carry because of the back pain.

But again, this is not a guarantee that I won't ever try a PRS Amp... I'm probably just too scare because I could surely love it :)

The Kemper is a nice piece of gear. geese_com profiled my Archon clean and high gain sounds and they're pretty close. Close enough that we had a hard time telling them apart. Congrats on finding some great PRS that you love. I've been on the train for almost 20 years now. PRS just work best for me. Quality is awesome, they look great and sound even better. It's not that there's not other great guitars out there, because there are. The quality and consistency from PRS is pretty amazing for the amount of instruments they produce. Tack on the continued desire for improvement and innovation and you've got a pretty spectacular company on your hands. The guitars feel like home. I just don't want to play anything else!

"Guitars feel like home"... here we go, perfectly spot on!

Of course, there's other great guitars out there, no doubt about it (for instance, my friend's Strat John Cruz is heaven), but PRS is the only brand that really speak to me because they feel like home. I know, it could sound stupid (or even very fanboy) in the ears of people, but that's true for me. Only very few brand make me react like that... definitely not a lot, and PRS is one of them.

PS: We had a Kemper at the previous studio I was going before, but not (yet) in the current one and now I still have to buy one for myself at home.
So many things to buy and so little time... it's only a problem of time (since we all know it that time is money :) ).

I arrived at PRS through the back door so to speak. I was visiting Texas with my lady. She owned a home in a suburb of Dallas where I am from, she is an Oahu girl, but traveled and lived military for along time. She and her then husband settled back in Dallas where he was from. Anyway, she came into a substantial bit of money and decided to renovate her Texas home for her grown kids to live in as they might need to. So we go, we visit, we work on the house. There are no Guitar Centers or shops of REAL note here in Honolulu except Dan's, the local PRS pusher. Getting back into "guitar church" was a treat for me. SO there we are in the central Dallas store, and I spy a PRS McCarty in Cherry red burst up on the wall.. "Hey, hand me down that guitar, I've heard alot about PRS". I play it, I love it, I am forgetting it...until the sales guy brings out the case and all the candy and says "here ya go".. I tell him thanks but I'm not buying today... He kinda smiles and says, you may not be, but she is...I look over and she's waving a reciept... So I walk out with a brand new 04 McCarty. It made it on the plane and arrived in Honolulu with out a scratch. If for no other reason, it is my favorite guitar.

I have a long history with PRS but only a recent owner. Around 1990, I went to Brian Guitars in New Haven, not to be confused with Brians Guitars in Hamden. I picked up this four color brochure from this new guitar maker called PRS and was completely blown away. Awesome looks, tops, shapes looking as if they were floating in space. So different than the typical F or G of the time. I really never saw one but kept the brochure because it was a work of art. they didn't even have one in the shop to see - too new.

Early 90's, I went to a guitar show in New York. Ed Roman was there with tons of guitars. I was blown away but didn't have that kind of money to buy one. Wife, new house, newborn...etc. As I was walking out, I saw this little booth with a bunch of battle worn guitars and there was a totally beat up CU22 in blue. Most of the shiny lacquer was off of the top and it looked like crap. The owner wanted $700 for it and I passed. Doing the math based on the wear on the guitar, it had to be one of the very, very early guitars, pre factory. Could have gotten it for probably $500 but that was when relied guitars were not the rage and it was beat. Missed that one.

1998'ish was in Sam ash on 48th street and saw a leftover CU22. Pure shop rat with finger prints, scratches, a ding or two and they did not want to deal even based on the condition. Strangely, another blue guitar. Same day, I walked across the street to Rudy's and saw three beautiful 10 tops. Absolutely amazing. Left empty handed. Next encounter was about six years ago at Guitar Center Hollywood. Another on of those left overs that was there for a while. How am I going to get it home not he plane??? Blah Blah Blah. Empty handed again.

Roll the clock to this past August. Stopped a Brians to see a EC Strat. Liked it but didn't really love it. Saw my CE 24 in the rack and after almost 30 years of looking and wanting, it went home with me. I also got a blue CU22 one a month later. Are there better guitars out there? I have no idea but mine feel like a comfy set of jeans, sound great and look fantastic. I'm not a great player but will buy more selectively. Enjoy.

Two epiphones that cost me more to get playable than I paid for them and a great clearance sale on a SE SC Korina and a SE 245 was it for me... Since then I have added a core custom 24 and a CE 24... I have a few other non-prs instruments in the house but they get very little play time other than my kid's playing their bass'

I still need to add a tremonti in eriza verde and a custom 22 at a minimum... oh and an amp... and an acoustic...

Back