PRS as first guitar?

My philosophy has always been; start with the cheapest functional guitar you can find. Once you have mastered that, moving to a slighlty nicer guitar will give you more appreciation for it, plus you won't have wasted too much money if you decide to quit. I'm glad I didn't start with a PRS, and instead worked towards one later on. Tbh, I don't think I even knew what PRS was when I started. As stupid as this sounds, PRS is more of a guitar players guitar brand, rather than a general half in musicians brand. If that makes sense...

My philosophy has always been; start with the cheapest functional guitar you can find. Once you have mastered that, moving to a slighlty nicer guitar will give you more appreciation for it, plus you won't have wasted too much money if you decide to quit. I'm glad I didn't start with a PRS, and instead worked towards one later on. Tbh, I don't think I even knew what PRS was when I started. As stupid as this sounds, PRS is more of a guitar players guitar brand, rather than a general half in musicians brand. If that makes sense...
That makes total sense to me. I never knew diddly about PRS until 6 years ago. And all i owned previously was an old solid body electric and a base Seagull S6. Until then I was actually kind of blinded by the Fender/Gibson (or their spinoffs) labels on electrics, and didn't really look at much else. Acoustics I never really looked to anything beyond my S6 other than Yamaha, Martin and Taylor. Of which all I ever bought was Yamaha, others I deemed too expensive and above my skill base. I still sort of look at acoustics that way, now I only own a Yamaha FG and a couple of Seagulls (6 and 12 string e-acoustics). All of them far less expensive than comparable sounding/quality Taylors or Martins. Not that I don't really like them, I'm just not that set that I need them to enhance my playing. My Yamaha dreadnought and the two Seagulls are very enjoyable guitars and have great action and sound at my preferred price point. I could afford a Martin or Taylor if IK wanted, but I don't feel the necessity. PRS electrics however, I find they really do enhance my playing, they fit me perfectly so I love playing them. That for me, makes all the difference. I don't care how good a guitar sounds, if it doesn't feel right, it isn't going in my family.

Starting with a PRS Custom 24 shouldn't limit your playing style or tone preferences. It's a versatile instrument that can adapt to different genres and playing techniques. As you progress, you may develop a preference for certain tones or playing styles, but that's part of your musical journey.

Many of us were playing guitar since the 60’s and 70’s. PRS started in 85:rolleyes:
And now they have a $500 guitar! :)
Maybe in the US, up here the SE's start around $900 Cnd model dependent. My first Custom 24 was just over a grand some 4 years ago. My Hollowbody II Piezo was $2100, which I gladly paid and would again I wanted the thing so badly. I lucked out on my S2 McCarty Thinline, mint condition barely used for less than half of a new one.

Back