Pedal chain help

Xtyfighterx

I’m new to the pedal chain I’m starting to piece together my board here is what I have.

Donner tuner, JH-1 Dunlop wah, kokko compressor, Friedman BE-OD, Electro Harmonix silencer noise gate, Tc Electronic’s flashback 2 delay, and tc electronics Hall of fame 2 reverb.

The noise gate has a built in effects loop to.

What’s the best order for this? I’ll be running the delay and reverb through my amps effect loop.

Thanks

I think the way you have them listed is pretty much where I'd start out.

There’s no right or wrong answer.
Different combinations will yeild different results.
If it were me, I would chain them in the exact order you list them and probably put the BE-OD in the loop of the noise gate.

I’d put the wah ahead of the tuner; wahs usually work best reacting to a guitar’s pickup impedance. Most tuners will change that.

I like a compressor after the overdrive, to control the peaks. Experiment before finalizing your board.

A noise gate shouldn’t be necessary with your pedals, unless you’re using noisy pickups.

If you’re getting hum and noise with your pedals, check to make sure your power supply has regulated, isolated outlets (like the Voodoo Labs and other high quality power supplies; power is a huge thing on pedalboards). Personally, I am not fond of noise gates because they alter note attack as the gate opens; they’re a last resort if you’re using something like P-90s in an environment with lots of EMI or RFI.

Agree with Les. I'd try wah ahead of tuner first. Unless it's TBP tuner, then it may not matter. But Wah first is almost always best. I like compressor before OD, but this is the preference thing. Try both ways and see which you like better. And, I've never used a noise gate. My playing IS noise, so I guess I don't want the thing to mute the noise because it would be muting me! Although if my wife were to read this, she'd probably buy me a noise gate tomorrow! :)

Really? I'm glad I read this thread, I almost didn't. I always thought wah after dirt was best, because then there was more frequency information to filter sweep. Learn something new every day.

Wah before tuner? Never thought of that, I guess I always assumed you'd want the tuner first in line. Something to try this weekend after I pick up that little amp I'm eying. :D

I usually put compressor after dirt, too.

My chain currently goes Polytune/MC404 wah/Katzenkonig fuzztortion/Saucy Box OD/Saffron Squeeze comp/231 chorus/Echo Puss delay.

If you're gonna use the noise gate, put it in the effects loop as long as it's serial. I'd put the compressor first.

The noise gate has a built in effects loop should I take advantage of that? Not sure what the advantages would be. The Friedman gets a little hum when I turn the gain way up that’s why I have the noise gate.

Agree with Les. I'd try wah ahead of tuner first. Unless it's TBP tuner, then it may not matter. But Wah first is almost always best. I like compressor before OD, but this is the preference thing. Try both ways and see which you like better. And, I've never used a noise gate. My playing IS noise, so I guess I don't want the thing to mute the noise because it would be muting me! Although if my wife were to read this, she'd probably buy me a noise gate tomorrow! :)
The tuner is TBP. I use a lot of hi gain and get a slight hum and got a great deal on a EHX so leaped on it.

The noise gate has a built in effects loop should I take advantage of that? Not sure what the advantages would be. The Friedman gets a little hum when I turn the gain way up that’s why I have the noise gate.

I'm not sure but the noise gate effect loop is probably for something that has a preamp out with a separate power amp. In your case you need to run the noise gate through your amp's effects loop to kill all that preamp noise. But don't set it too high, just creep it up until you start hearing noise with no playing then back it down.

I’d put the wah ahead of the tuner; wahs usually work best reacting to a guitar’s pickup impedance. Most tuners will change that.

I like a compressor after the overdrive, to control the peaks. Experiment before finalizing your board.

A noise gate shouldn’t be necessary with your pedals, unless you’re using noisy pickups.

If you’re getting hum and noise with your pedals, check to make sure your power supply has regulated, isolated outlets (like the Voodoo Labs and other high quality power supplies; power is a huge thing on pedalboards). Personally, I am not fond of noise gates because they alter note attack as the gate opens; they’re a last resort if you’re using something like P-90s in an environment with lots of EMI or RFI.

My power supply has isolated outlets. I get a slight hum when the Friedman is at high gain. And found a great deal on the noise gate so bought it and it’s not here yet so I can’t play with it. I’m just trying to get all my ducks in a row here is all. I play a wide range of guitars PRS, Fender,Gibson etc think my strats have some noise with the pickups but it’s mainly my Friedman

I'm not sure but the noise gate effect loop is probably for something that has a preamp out with a separate power amp. In your case you need to run the noise gate through your amp's effects loop to kill all that preamp noise. But don't set it too high, just creep it up until you start hearing noise with no playing then back it down.

I was watching some videos on it and looks like you plug in all your pedals through the loop guitar goes to input and output goes to amp.

Wah before tuner? That makes sense, so I'll try that.

Will also probably remove my buffer, since I don't have that much going on with the pedals, and there are two BOSS pedals, which have buffers already.

The only noise I get is when the OD is on that’s it none of my other pedals make noise really if any. And the amp only gets a tiny hum when I’m on the hot channel with gain all the way up but I’m not using that I’m using my clean channel and using the Friedman as my dirty channel essentially. So just best to keep it after he Friedman pedal?

I also never thought of Wah before tuner. Looks like I have a little work to do.

The only noise I get is when the OD is on that’s it none of my other pedals make noise really if any. And the amp only gets a tiny hum when I’m on the hot channel with gain all the way up but I’m not using that I’m using my clean channel and using the Friedman as my dirty channel essentially. So just best to keep it after he Friedman pedal?

it's most effective right before the power amp, but like other dudes were saying you really don't need one at all. I used to have one because I played high gain amps in crappy bars so I would always get 60 cycle hum.

I was watching some videos on it and looks like you plug in all your pedals through the loop guitar goes to input and output goes to amp.
You should put whatever pedals are causing noise in the loop of the noise gate. That is how they are designed. Although you can experiment with other configurations and one is to use it in the loop of the amp as mentioned.

You should put whatever pedals are causing noise in the loop of the noise gate. That is how they are designed. Although you can experiment with other configurations and one is to use it in the loop of the amp as mentioned.

So how would I connect everything then?

Back