OT: Placed my name on pre-order list for Axe-FX III today...

Has anyone here compared Helix Hardware to the VST?

Yes. I have Helix Native and the Helix rack unit. They sound exactly the same. I use the hardware version more often because I find editing with knobs easier then using a mouse - plus my rack Helix is plugged into the analog console (which I think helps it sound fatter).

Yes. I have Helix Native and the Helix rack unit. They sound exactly the same. I use the hardware version more often because I find editing with knobs easier then using a mouse
Thanks, good to know this. Reading about knobs/mouse I somehow have to think of the really stuperb user interface a Zoom pedal once came with (G3x?). Also that's one of the reasons why I'm not really interested in pad/phone-controlled stuff. The Helix interface at least looks like something that can get the job done without being as tedious as others I've seen... :)

Thanks, good to know this. Reading about knobs/mouse I somehow have to think of the really stuperb user interface a Zoom pedal once came with (G3x?). Also that's one of the reasons why I'm not really interested in pad/phone-controlled stuff. The Helix interface at least looks like something that can get the job done without being as tedious as others I've seen... :)

If I ONLY had Helix Native, editing/tweaking still wouldn't be that bad. I just happened to have gotten used to the front panel on Helix Rack LONG before Native was released. Line 6 does have the "Helix Edit" program for the computer. I use that to change my set lists, load IRs, etc. - you know, management stuff. It works very well, and is as intuitive as Helix Rack.

Not even attempting to create a debate, but I was VERY skeptical of getting a Helix. I had used Rivera amps and cabs for 25 years in the studio and live. I was happy with my tone and my gear. I WANTED an Axe- FX, but just was NOT gonna pay the entry fee for a product I wasn't sure I would even use. Helix came in at a "better" price and seemed to be offering stellar sound. I gambled, and got one of the first Racks on the market....

It took about 2 weeks to learn it and create patches that were SOOOOOOOO close to the sound of my loved Rivera gear, that I never looked back. I keep a Rivera rig (S120 head and 4 cabs - (2) 1x12s, 2x12, 2x10) in the gear closet. It is AWESOME gear, but heavy (getting old, and the back kills loading in and out of venues these days) and LOUD (even though the S120 can be dropped to 7 watts per side).

I kind of went of the topic a bit, but yeah....the Helix interface is not too tedious!

I kind of went of the topic a bit, but yeah....the Helix interface is not too tedious!
Thanks for some really helpful tips there! Knowing a VST sounds like the real hardware and very close to what it's simulating is interesting, I'll definitely give it a go :)

Back