Old question, asked anew: most "Fender-esque" PRS amp?

shinksma

What? I get a title?
I have seen this question asked a few times on this forum, or come up as a comparison when someone gets a new amp, but I thought I'd ask it again, based on some current musings about what model of PRS amp would complement my Archon.

I know PRS amps aren't always intended to copy or mimic a classic tone, but there seems to have been a wide range of "styles" implemented over the years that could allow one to say "this amp is the most Marshall-like, and this one is the most Fender-like, and this is blah blah blah..."

I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe that I quite like, but I suppose that doesn't truly have the classic Fender Black Face / Silver Face / Tweed sound that is so, um, "Fender".

I understand the Dallas amps are Fender-like (correct me if I'm wrong!). What about the Sweet 16? I seem to recall that being compared to Fender too.

The 2 Channel C is more "Vintage voiced" than the 2 Channel H and Customs - does that make the 2 Ch C more Fender like, or some other "Vintage" vibe?

I see a variety of amps available that look interesting, and while I'd love to be able to plonk down 10 grand on a mix of Custom 50, DG30, HX/DA, Dallas, etc, I think I need to be a bit more precise in my procurement planning.

There are a few things online tempting me, but I want to do some research first - if I lose these opportunities, that's OK, more will come eventually.

Reactions: LJD
The Sweet 16 and the Dallas screen Princeton and Vibrolux or Super to me. The amp John Mayor has been playing with the Dead sounds really nice.

BF, Silverface and Tweed are all different, and then too, all the models of each sound different from one another.

So more specifics are needed.

Quit lollygagging around and buy a Dallas 4x10 combo!

PRS_DALLAS-4x10.jpg

I believe the Sweet 16 is a tweed inspired design. Low wattage, and has a fuzzy breakup that is unique, but not hugely versatile (from the one time I tried one).

The Custom 50 clean channel sounds like a Bassman to me. Very neutral tone curve, with perks - bright switch, deep switch, and more mids available. It can sound very beautiful on its own, and is an ideal platform for drive pedals.

I would love to hear a phrase like "blackface-ish" or "californian-american" so I would finally know which PRS amp I'd like.

I would love to hear a phrase like "blackface-ish" or "californian-american" so I would finally know which PRS amp I'd like.

I tried to get those type answers when I first came here. You'll get different answers, but usually end up with the general idea that they have their own voice.

The 'T' in MDT stands for Tweed, but it ends up sounding like none of its constituent elements. As was well said, it has its own voice, which I quite dig.

There are definitive nods from Doug to Fender circuits, no doubt. But with the exception of the HXDA/25th Anni, nothing has ever been a clone of any maker. With my last few years on a unique Doug Sewell creation, and having 20+ year run with big Fender amps, there is no comparison...only improvements. It's so tough to proclaim "blackface" or "silver face" rather than character similar to a Twin or Super Reverb (more the latter for me). But nothing I've experienced from Fender is as musical across the control range. I could twist 2 knobs on my Twin and sound like brittle poo, but I've not found that with the Super Dallas. And the Twin could never sound like this sounds wound up (unless it had a love child with a '68 Plexi). Doug has carved out his own tonal persona.

BF, Silverface and Tweed are all different, and then too, all the models of each sound different from one another.

So more specifics are needed.
Well, that's my problem. I haven't played a plethora of classic Fenders, my main experience is with my HRDX.

So at this stage, I am just feeling things out. I suppose I could go buy/rent/try a collection of BF, SF and Tweed Fenders, but that seems to be counter-productive.

Hmm, I suppose it is no bad thing that PRS amps have their own mojo going, rather than trying to be just another clone...

Maybe I'll ask the question a different way:

I have an Archon, I really like it. I also have a Fender HRDX, which I like but I know is not the stereo-typical Fender sound.

Which PRS amp should I investigate to complement my Archon? I like all kinds of guitar tones, so it's not like I must have a Vox sound or a Hi-Watt sound, and avoid a Marshall sound because i hate that sound, etc.

Ideas?

Or should I just shut up and play my guitar?

;)

I think any of the PRS amps could compliment your Archon, it just depends on what you're after. That being said, I would say the HXDA is the most different from your Archon, IMO. And, by all accounts, a great amp. I think the Archon's clean channel gets about as close to a Fender tone as anything else in the current PRS lineup.

I think any of the PRS amps could compliment your Archon, it just depends on what you're after. That being said, I would say the HXDA is the most different from your Archon, IMO. And, by all accounts, a great amp. I think the Archon's clean channel gets about as close to a Fender tone as anything else in the current PRS lineup.
Bold my emphasis:

OK, that's interesting. I love the Archon's clean channel, so I'll just carry enjoying it, now with a bit more knowledge about what it may be compared to.

The HXDA does seem to get a ton of love around here. Maybe I'll investigate one!

Part of the archetypical vintage Fender sound is the open back speaker cabinet with a couple of Jensens. I think we often underestimate the effect of the cabinet and speakers on tone.

Just an observation.

Shinksma, so let me ask you then... what do you compare the Archon too? I want to try one and haven't had much luck. I got to try a 25 watt combo and it was "good" but I don't care for that speaker and that could be what kept it from "great" IHMO. When I asked what it was "like" I got everything from "a combination of Mesa Mark and boutique high gain Marshall" to "a cross between Soldano and Marshall" to... well, after a few more comments, I was back to square one. I was hoping it was more boutique high gain Marshall type. Soldano would be a grail tone for me. I have the Mark tones covered with my V25 and Mark V.

So, you're looking for the other side (the clean and milder OD tones) of these amps and getting similar answers.

And, I want to hear how the Archon clean channel compares to my Custom 50, which is VERY nice. Sounds like you're looking more for a cleaner type amp though, since you have a 2 channel fire breather. That said, my clean channel blows away an HRD. But how much it SOUNDS like a fender is going to be heavily influenced by the speakers as well. I think V30s do good and maybe really good cleans, but they don't sound "Fender-ish" because they dont sound like the speakers people use with Fenders. When I ran my 2 Channel Custom 50 through my Red Fang Alnico, it sounded fantastic!

DreamTheaterRules:

The Clean channel of the Archon is absolutely awesome - it stays clean to very high volume, and takes pedals extremely well. If Andy474x's description is accurate, it is very Fender like in sound, and I am under the impression that most folks feel that Fenders are generally well-regarded in their clean tone and how well they take pedals.

The lead channel is a really nice "modern" high gain sound, which when at full bore I suppose is best compared to a Mesa (Mark IV? V? I dunno). But the lower gain tones are also awesome, but I'm not sure if they are Marshall-esque - I assume the 6L6s vs EL34s are a factor.

And you and Les makes a good point about the nature of the cabinet: open back vs closed, speaker type, etc. My Archon is played through a closed-back PRS 2x12. I think that cabinet matches the head's characteristics well - clean or growl but with punch.

So now I'm wondering how the Archon would sound through an open-back cab...

Sigh, too many toys to try, not enough time and money...

I say wait and see if the V9 comes to life at Winter NAMM 2017. I am thinking that it will make a lot of folks here Happy if it is real! I know I will likely be. I am not a Dead Head fan, nor a big Mayer fan, but the sounds coming out of that V9 amp and his PRS are sweet intoxicatication. Sounds I hear from it are Fender and Dumble style tones.

Back