NPsD!!!

kes7u

Wife's husband and Dog's dad
New Picks Day!!

I have now been playing guitar for just shy of 2 years. Something peculiar during this time is that I've never felt comfortable with any of the guitar picks I've tried. They just never felt right in my hand, and never felt stable. I never felt that I was using a consistent right hand position. I searched on the internet and bought nearly every pick that others had success with. I just never bonded with any of them. I have piles of picks in my room as proof!!

I have NO affiliation with the company, but stumbled across Gravity Picks on yet another recommendation. I have finally found my pick!! The size, shape, weight, thickness, material and grip hole are just perfect for me. Hallelujah!! Truth be told, I did go through several of the Gravity picks before finding this one! As I've so aptly proven, pick choice is a very individual decision. If you have ongoing pick issues, I wouldn't hesitate to give them a shot!

Kevin

20151212_085753.jpg
20151212_085833.jpg

Glad you found something that works! I like the case!

I honestly don't understand the whole thing with these pick companies and expensive picks. I'm tempted to buy a variety pack just to mess around. The important thing is that you found something that works for you finally and that's awesome.

I honestly don't understand the whole thing with these pick companies and expensive picks. I'm tempted to buy a variety pack just to mess around. The important thing is that you found something that works for you finally and that's awesome.

I do see your point. The shape and size really aren't THAT unique. I do like the material, but I've liked other materials as well. I really wonder how much of what I'm feeling is the grip hole adding to the feeling of stability and improved proprioception. I've never played a pick with a grip hole. Tempted to go cut some similar holes in other picks that I've liked.

Kevin

Vaughn, I switched to Blue Chip picks a year or two ago, and I've found that they make a difference. First, they don't slip out of my fingers, the material is inherently grippy. But at the same time, they slide off the strings faster, and the tone is almost identical to the unobtainium tortoise material (I used tortoise 100 years ago or so...).

They're expensive, it's true.

The material itself is some kind of aerospace stuff, and is ungodly costly in its unfinished state. But the picks are superb. The edges are hand-beveled, not molded or put into a tumbler with sand, which is the usual technique for rounding off the edges of picks.

In the time I've been using them - I really think it's about two years - I've never had one wear out!

I can't stand to play with anything else now. So there's that.

Last edited:
I have been playing Winspear Picks for about a year now, they are quite thick but the clarity in my playing has really improved! It cracks me up whenever I go to jam nights, I can't leave my picks laying around or they vanish ;)

I do see your point. The shape and size really aren't THAT unique. I do like the material, but I've liked other materials as well. I really wonder how much of what I'm feeling is the grip hole adding to the feeling of stability and improved proprioception. I've never played a pick with a grip hole. Tempted to go cut some similar holes in other picks that I've liked.

Kevin

OK. Just got back from putting some grip holes in a couple of my jazz iii picks and black ice picks. Better than before. NOT the same as the Gravity. I think it is just the way everything comes together with my Gravity, including the hand beveled edge. ( Not dissimilar to the way the different components of a guitar form the whole)

I've heard about these Blue Chips. Tempting.....!!

Kevin

One false move at a show and my pick slips into the ether! I honestly don't drop picks much, but still.
Vaughn, I switched to Blue Chip picks a year or two ago, and I've found that they make a difference. First, they don't slip out of my fingers, the material is inherently grippy. But at the same time, they slide off the strings faster, and the tone is almost identical to the unobtainium tortoise material (I used tortoise 100 years ago or so...).

They're expensive, it's true.

The material itself is some kind of aerospace stuff, and is ungodly costly in its unfinished state. But the picks are superb. The edges are hand-beveled, not molded or put into a tumbler with sand, which is the usual technique for rounding off the edges of picks.

In the time I've been using them - I really think it's about two years - I've never had one wear out!

I can't stand to play with anything else now. So there's that.
It's definitely interesting, I've heard a few guys rave about companies and these high end picks and absolutely swear by them. Do I want to get to the point of not wanting to play with any other picks? I'd like to try them but man.... I'm picky enough about everything else. I kinda just wanna use my cheap tortex type material and not feel so dependent on something as a pick.

I used to cut up 45 RPM records and make my own back in the day, they worked. Nowadays I tend to stick with Dunlop Ultex, they're reasonably priced, good (I have worn a couple out though) and delivered to the door.

e91b_diy_guitar_pick_punch.jpg

My daughter got me one of these a few years ago. Pretty cool - and you can buy pick material. Have not tried it on a vinyl record yet, though. But I do have...

vinylpicks.jpg

Cut from old vinyl records.

Not to mention...

stringsandbeyond_2003_7520055.jpg

Which I've had for a couple years and only found out THIS WEEK that they glow in the dark.

Truth be told, though, picks have been a long-time quest. There's always something new to try, and even the expensive picks are a cheap way of changing something.

For the longest time, I was a Fender medium guy. Mostly because that's what my teacher had, so I went with it. Played around with the big triangular ones at times, but kept coming back to the standard shape. Somewhere along the way, I got a Cymbolic pick - cut from cymbal metal. Very cool - very thing, but it has a certain zing to it. Heard a ton about Jazz IIIs, finally got some, but they weren't much to my liking - too small for my stubby fingers, especially when I have my nails longer for fingerpicking. But the Jazz III XLs? Pretty much perfect.

V-Picks were highly recommended on BAM, but I couldn't find a size I thought would be right. But a trip to WMC led me to a saleman who kept a variety in his pocket, which gave me a chance to test drive a bunch. Bought one or two that day, and have since picked up a few more - all different sizes. I'd have to check which one it is that I like. Even before that, I found Wegen picks at an acoustic shop - highly recommended for their tone and durability. Nice and thick, and they just don't wear out. It's been probably close to 10 years - still on the first one.

Dave Wiener talked about Red Bear picks (as did several other players). Our own jfb tried a bunch, found what he liked, and sold some of the rest. I bought one that pretty well matches the size of the Jazz III XL. They make a difference. They really do. I'm sold on these. I even picked up two of the Guthrie Govan models when they were available. Apparently they wear, but for me, not so much, at least not yet. Then again, I don't do pick slides with them.

Some day I'll try a Blue Chip, probably.

Forgot to mention that, despite some of the spendy picks, I still use Dunlop Ultex Ultra Sharps a ton.

One false move at a show and my pick slips into the ether! I honestly don't drop picks much, but still.It's definitely interesting, I've heard a few guys rave about companies and these high end picks and absolutely swear by them. Do I want to get to the point of not wanting to play with any other picks? I'd like to try them but man.... I'm picky enough about everything else. I kinda just wanna use my cheap tortex type material and not feel so dependent on something as a pick.

I get it, and I used Tortex for a long time. Ultex, too (now Alan's going to welcome me to the Ultex Pick Club...).

I should just send you one of mine. I gave my son one, and he said, "Dad, I lose picks, I throw them on the ground in the middle of a take to switch to my fingers, etc., etc."

Then he tried it, and said, "Well, I get it; there's definitely a difference with these."

I'm sure he doesn't gig with them for obvious reasons, but I'm pretty sure he cuts tracks with the one I gave him.

I am not very "picky" when it comes to picks :D. I will use whatever is lying around and play sometimes with the sharp edge, sometimes with the rounded edge. I have never had a problem holding on to picks and thickness is not a real issue either, other than I generally don't like thin picks. Standard size picks work just fine.

Enjoy your fancy picks!

I need to try some of these high end picks. I don't have a favorite and I never seem to get comfortable with what I have.

I need to try some of these high end picks. I don't have a favorite and I never seem to get comfortable with what I have.

Sounds like you're in a similar boat. Take a look online at some of the boutique pick brands, and some reviews. See what size, shape, thickness, etc would seem to work best, and give them a shot!! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!!

Kevin

I get it, and I used Tortex for a long time. Ultex, too (now Alan's going to welcome me to the Ultex Pick Club...).

Ultex.

P'shaw.

It's Club Ultex Sharp - and you never struck me as a Sharp guy. :eek:

Back