Think I've identified my first PRS.

JonDee

I bought this PRS from a guitar shop in London in the mid 90s. Chandler Guitars. Not the manufacturer. Name's just a coincidence :cool:

I think it was customised by one of the sales guys who worked there. As PRSes go, it's fairly un-glam from the point of view of body finish. It's solid black with no grain on show. But I just had to have it back then. However, I have never known what model it is. Someone once suggested it might have been something called an S4? but could never match it up.

After searching online many times I could never find exactly what model it is - until last night when yet another search brought up something looking very similar on eBay.

So now I believe its an EG4 from around '91/2. But it's definitely been messed with. The pickup config looks correct though the scratch looks nonstandard and the tone pot has been removed from the wiring. But the bolt-on neck and black plate with a serial number (151190) all match others I've spotted since.

Anyone got any ideas?

Last edited:
You got it right. I have a 92 EG lll with 3 dominoes. That is a beautiful aftermarket pickguard. They’re great guitars. PRS was trying to figure out bolt-ones to get a lower price point to market. They ended up losing money on every one they made, so they discontinued them. It should be an alder body, probably with Fralin single coils and an HFS in the bridge. Some of them had slightly different pickups, depending on what was in the factory.

You got it right. I have a 92 EG lll with 3 dominoes. That is a beautiful aftermarket pickguard. They’re great guitars. PRS was trying to figure out bolt-ones to get a lower price point to market. They ended up losing money on every one they made, so they discontinued them. It should be an alder body, probably with Fralin single coils and an HFS in the bridge. Some of them had slightly different pickups, depending on what was in the factory.
Thanks for the info @dogrocketp It's a mystery solved. It's been my main gigging guitar since I bought it.

I see it as a sort of Cinderella piece. Not stunning lavish book matched veneers like so many PRSes. But the sound is amazing.

Seeing a photo now though it does look pretty nice overall - largely thanks to whoever did the customisation.

Welcome and nice pickup!
It's been my main gigging guitar since I bought it.
Been thinking of using my Santana SE as my main gigging guitar as well, it's been modified a bit and like yours, was hanging in a store for a good while. No doubt as it has dings here and there.
I see it as a sort of Cinderella piece. Not stunning lavish book matched veneers like so many PRSes. But the sound is amazing.
Feel the same about my Santana SE, it's not the prettiest but a joy to play! Cool to see someone with a similar outlook!

Last edited:
Welcome and nice pickup!

Been thinking of using my Santana SE as my main gigging guitar as well, it's been modified a bit and like yours, was hanging in a store for a good while. No doubt as it has dings here and there.

Feel the same about my Santana SE, it's not the prettiest but a joy to play! Cool to see someone with a similar outlook!
It should always be how they play and sound. While I appreciate (and have) beautiful PRS, they don’t sound better when they’re pretty.

Last edited:
This EG4 is on eBay UK -

No affiliation, however it is in my watch list.

This EG4 is on eBay UK -

No affiliation, however it is in my watch list.

Nice in white.

So whoever customised mine took two tone pots out of the electrics. Wonder why.

To be fair, though, I've never really missed them. Tend to use bridge and middle & bridge mostly.

Back