Now I’ve seen it all :-/

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
Went to see Sevendust last night. They put on a helluva show. Didn’t get any pics mainly cause I’ve seen them a bunch of times and I have plenty of good ones, better than I would’ve gotten last night.

I’m fairly tolerant of people trying to get pics or video of favorite song or whatever, even if the constant phone holder uppers get a little annoying. Last night I witnessed a first. Dude in front of us holding up phone, playing a game! Like a first person shooter type game. Wtf is the world coming to when people go to a show and pay zero attention to the music? I don’t get it.:mad:

I saw Dennis DeYoung on Friday night and had to look around the dude in front of me videoing every other song on his phone...

I've seen kids playing games during a show, but never adults. It's getting ridiculous. Couple years ago, we went to see Rick Derringer with Derek St. Holmes and Pat Travers. Second row seats. My buddy got up and moved towards the back because the three guys in front of us - in the front row - talked through the entire show. Not leaning over and taking, turned 90 degrees in their seats and not even facing the stage.

Maybe even worse is this trend of taking selfies or having someone take your picture with your back to the stage and the band in the background. Just saw it again at Ghost Friday night. Saw it a ton at Foreigner to the point the the singer photobombed a couple of them while flipping them off. And it's not kids - older people.

I saw Dennis DeYoung on Friday night and had to look around the dude in front of me videoing every other song on his phone...

Lotta people live-streaming at shows now. At a Kansas show, they made an announcement asking people not to do it, and I couldn't figure out why. A couple shows later, I found out why. If I'm paying to get into a show, I'm not going to spend it streaming it for other people.

+1. Between the phones and the morons who feel the need to yell out in the middle of songs all night, I'm starting to wonder why I go to shows. I'm old enough to remember seeing (for example) CSN and having the crowd sit in silence during the acoustic set so they could actually hear the song.

Depends on the type of show, I guess, but the overall "rudeness" of concertgoers in the past several years has made me go to less concerts. Went to John McLaughlin and Jimmy Herring this past year, and some knucklehead a few rows in front of us kept screaming "YEAH!" every time someone hit a high note - which was about every minute!

I hate it so much I don't even go to shows anymore. In all truthfulness, I don't even dig at my own shows - especially when we are supporting bigger acts. If it's one where we are headlining and the room is mostly empty (let's be painfully realistic, in A LOT of markets the support of original, live music is dead) I OK with it - if a video makes it to YouTube then it gets us exposure. It's a double edged sword....

BUT, at an REAL show, in a REAL venue - put the dumb phone away. Live in the moment. Enjoy the experience. IF you want to watch it later, hope the artist releases a DVD/BluRay.....

At the venues that have them, we try to get the opera boxes - the John Wilkes Booth seats, as I call them. Not immune to people around us, but it's much reduced.

At one show, we had a guy in the crowd screaming at the rest of the crowd because they weren't "rocking" the way he thought people should. Reminiscent of a letter from a guy in Cleveland a few years ago who complained that audiences weren't rowdy enough anymore. The guy at the show we were at was yelling about how great the band was and deserved more (it was SIMO opening for Ace Frehley. And they were good, and we'd have heard them better if it wasn't for the screaming moron.

I remember going to small hardcore/metalcore shows where people would have their hand smacked out of their hand if they pulled that kind of thing. Maybe time to bring that back?*

*(Full disclosure: totally joking about bringing it back, but I agree, it's super annoying. I don't mind a quick photo or even a video of your favorite song, but any more than that and it drives me nuts.)

I think I’ve taken one picture at a show, and I felt kinda like a goon... but hey, it was Morris Day.

My wife is a big fan of Brandi Carlile, so went to see her show on Saturday at the Anthem in Washington, DC. That's a great venue BTW. Anyway, I was really amazed at the lack of cell phone action I saw at the show. A couple people popped a photo or did a quick little video, but it was pretty limited, compared to what I've seen at other shows.

don't get me started... ok, too late. In the last 3 years, I can't tell you how many times I've sat at baseball or football games, sitting in places were tickets costs ranged from $40-125 per or concerts where they were that or more, and watched people play on Fakebook the whole time. I called facebook "social cancer" a few years ago after watching multiple people on the row in front me me who couldn't pay any attention to the game and not much to the people they were at the game with, while constantly posting on fakebook, and picking up their phones every time they got a notice or like or whatever, like Pavlovs dogs. "Ding" - grab the phone immediately to check whatever. Paid good money to sit in seat at a ballgame or concert and are more worried about fakebook than the event they paid for. Sorry, I won't even try to understand it.

Like I said, most cell phone use doesn't bother me much. If it's super obnoxious and bothering everyone around, yeah it's annoying. I've kind of gotten past it though. I'll admit, when I was at Roger Waters(bucket list show for me), I took quite a few pics and some video. There was a lot of great visuals at that show. I mean, when there's a giant inflatable pig going past it's hard not to go for your phone. I try to be as polite as possible, not blocking people's view and not constant.

This just blew my mind though. Guy was in his mid 20's, at times looked into the show, but like 15 minutes straight playing a game. I stopped paying attention to him after a bit, then got slightly annoyed with all the phones up in there elsewhere because of him.:D

don't get me started... ok, too late. In the last 3 years, I can't tell you how many times I've sat at baseball or football games, sitting in places were tickets costs ranged from $40-125 per or concerts where they were that or more, and watched people play on Fakebook the whole time. I called facebook "social cancer" a few years ago after watching multiple people on the row in front me me who couldn't pay any attention to the game and not much to the people they were at the game with, while constantly posting on fakebook, and picking up their phones every time they got a notice or like or whatever, like Pavlovs dogs. "Ding" - grab the phone immediately to check whatever. Paid good money to sit in seat at a ballgame or concert and are more worried about fakebook than the event they paid for. Sorry, I won't even try to understand it.
I have another name for Facebook, but it is not for public consumption.

Like I said, most cell phone use doesn't bother me much. If it's super obnoxious and bothering everyone around, yeah it's annoying. I've kind of gotten past it though. I'll admit, when I was at Roger Waters(bucket list show for me), I took quite a few pics and some video. There was a lot of great visuals at that show. I mean, when there's a giant inflatable pig going past it's hard not to go for your phone. I try to be as polite as possible, not blocking people's view and not constant.

This just blew my mind though. Guy was in his mid 20's, at times looked into the show, but like 15 minutes straight playing a game. I stopped paying attention to him after a bit, then got slightly annoyed with all the phones up in there elsewhere because of him.:D

Yeah, I'm with you on this. I don't even mind people taking pics and vids (unless they are constantly blocking your view when doing so). What I find much more annoying and simply "WTF?" is constantly playing on the phone during an event. My wife and I went to one Reds game last year. The couple in front of us looked like they were maybe still in college. Both had UC gear on, so a semi-safe bet they were both college students. $125/seat tickets. Guy was definitely into the game. Girl played on facebook the whole time and barely paid any attention to the game. She drank 5 $8.75/per beers, and assorted overpriced munchies. I'm going to guess that he spent about $200 for three hours of her playing on facebook. Awfully expensive way for a college student to spend 3 hours on facebook! :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm with you on this. I don't even mind people taking pics and vids (unless they are constantly blocking your view when doing so). What I find much more annoying and simply "WTF?" is constantly playing on the phone during an event. My wife and I went to one Reds game last year. The couple in front of us looked like they were maybe still in college. Both had UC gear on, so a semi-safe bet they were both college students. $125/seat tickets. Guy was definitely into the game. Girl played on facebook the whole time and barely paid any attention to the game. She drank 5 $8.75/per beers, and assorted overpriced munchies. I'm going to guess that he spent about $200 for three hours of her playing on facebook. Awfully expensive way for a college student to spend 3 hours on facebook! :rolleyes:

I don’t know.. Sounds more fun to me than baseball.

I've seen kids playing games during a show, but never adults. It's getting ridiculous. Couple years ago, we went to see Rick Derringer with Derek St. Holmes and Pat Travers. Second row seats. My buddy got up and moved towards the back because the three guys in front of us - in the front row - talked through the entire show. Not leaning over and taking, turned 90 degrees in their seats and not even facing the stage.

Maybe even worse is this trend of taking selfies or having someone take your picture with your back to the stage and the band in the background. Just saw it again at Ghost Friday night. Saw it a ton at Foreigner to the point the the singer photobombed a couple of them while flipping them off. And it's not kids - older people.

Oh man......people that go to an event and TALK the whole time piss me off right now.

Wife and I went to a comedy club a couple of years ago and a guy right behind us kept talking non stop. I told him if you want to talk go somewhere else. I payed for a ticket to see show not to hear you flap your jaw. I wasn't even nice about it. I don't care who I piss off in situations like that.

I've done it at movie theaters too. Why the hell does a person go to a show then talk the whole dam time?????

Back