Now I’ve seen it all :-/

Yeah, I'm with you on this. I don't even mind people taking pics and vids (unless they are constantly blocking your view when doing so). What I find much more annoying and simply "WTF?" is constantly playing on the phone during an event. My wife and I went to one Reds game last year. The couple in front of us looked like they were maybe still in college. Both had UC gear on, so a semi-safe bet they were both college students. $125/seat tickets. Guy was definitely into the game. Girl played on facebook the whole time and barely paid any attention to the game. She drank 5 $8.75/per beers, and assorted overpriced munchies. I'm going to guess that he spent about $200 for three hours of her playing on facebook. Awfully expensive way for a college student to spend 3 hours on facebook! :rolleyes:

Dude, honestly, the way the Reds have been playing I'd make an exception and play on my phone too ...

When we went to see Trombone Shorty everybody stood for most of the show. Made it difficult for my short 14 year old son to see.

There was a wide range of people to see this show which surprised me. Totally worth seeing.

Steven Wilson said at his last show here that he didn't want to play seated venues anymore and would be instructing his booking agent as such. Kinda chided us for sitting and insisted that we stand for "Permanating". I was OK with this.

And +1 on Trombone Shorty.

While I mostly agree with this thread, it does a bit smack of us being crusty old folks.

I bet the converse discussion is occurring on the Schecter forum. (Or some other pointy guitar maker the kidz love)

Guilty as charged. When I went to see Marillion in February, My Phone camera was out the whole time, taking pics and video. Admittedly I was fangirling big time, as this was the first time in 35 years that I was able to actually see them live. But, I was respectful. I had a standing position slightly above the main floor, but well below the upper deck. and no one behind me gave a damn that I was filming. If they did, and asked I would have put it out of their way, or stopped. I actually find it more disturbing that a couple will sit down for dinner in a restaurant, break out the phones, and never say word one to each other the entire night. They might be texting each other for all I know, but I doubt it.

I recorded two songs and took a handful of pictures at the EJ show, but I did the videos with my phone flush to the bar in front of me, so my body was mostly blocking the dimmed all the way down glare. I still felt kinda dirty... :p

I recorded two songs and took a handful of pictures at the EJ show, but I did the videos with my phone flush to the bar in front of me, so my body was mostly blocking the dimmed all the way down glare. I still felt kinda dirty... :p

I shot way more than I feel comfortable with to be honest, using precisely the same method... but when the heck are we ever gunna see AVM performed live again? Though, I support EJ (merch & music directly) and have seen him more than any other artist, in multiple states, so I don't feel too awful. Seriously, I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if I hadn't shot some sequences.

What has happened to society?
Facepalm times 10!

Short answer- the internet and people.

My theories on what happened to these people...
The internet...Other people being allowed to shoot video and pics at concerts, sent them over the edge. The People that post pictures of what they are eating, not enough hugs as a kid, underwear is too small, skinny jeans, dudes in mosh pits wearing skinny jeans, people that got kicked in the face by the dude weraing skinny jeans in the mosh pit, overly politically correct people, people that weren't breast fed..the #1 reason society imploding is...people that had too many participation trophies given to them as kids and massive head trauma caused by participation trophies as a kid...everybody IS NOT a winner...clearly...

Oh yeah, and devil music...definitely that...:)

Last edited:
I got to see Black Stone Cherry and Gov't Mule a few weeks ago. It was my first concert in almost 20 years...all I can say is, times, they are a changing! We called what the ticket companies are doing now ticket scalping, and the fans who record shows were callled bootleggers. The strangest thing was however, was when fans held up their cell phones instead of lighters... That was just weird...well, that and not getting a contact high from all the weed smoke in the air...that's was just wrong...

Short answer- the internet and people.

My theories on what happened to these people...
The internet...Other people being allowed to shoot video and pics at concerts, sent them over the edge. The People that post pictures of what they are eating, not enough hugs as a kid, underwear is too small, skinny jeans, dudes in mosh pits wearing skinny jeans, people that got kicked in the face by the dude weraing skinny jeans in the mosh pit, overly politically correct people, people that weren't breast fed..the #1 reason society imploding is...people that had too many participation trophies given to them as kids and massive head trauma caused by participation trophies as a kid...everybody IS NOT a winner...clearly...

Oh yeah, and devil music...definitely that...:)
The number one reason society is imploding is the labeling/blaming fervor, people summarily judging other people based on the most ridiculously simplistic litmus/purity tests imaginable. It’s not just the left and the right, it’s damn near everybody. And all the while, the puppeteers and agents provocateurs on top of this game of Life/Monopoly/Chutes and Ladders just get richer and richer, mockingly toasting the maddening hordes of amateur gladiators tilting headlong at each other’s windmills.

The number one reason society is imploding is the labeling/blaming fervor, people summarily judging other people based on the most ridiculously simplistic litmus/purity tests imaginable. It’s not just the left and the right, it’s damn near everybody. And all the while, the puppeteers and agents provocateurs on top of this game of Life/Monopoly/Chutes and Ladders just get richer and richer, mockingly toasting the maddening hordes of amateur gladiators tilting headlong at each other’s windmills.

Dang Lee B.! You made that number one reason your b!tch!

* I stand corrected* the dude in the skinny jeans was clearly performing the "headlong tilting windmill" with a twist...AND a kick to the face...what a classic. Nice catch, good eye dude! :D

I got to see Black Stone Cherry and Gov't Mule a few weeks ago. It was my first concert in almost 20 years...all I can say is, times, they are a changing! We called what the ticket companies are doing now ticket scalping, and the fans who record shows were callled bootleggers. The strangest thing was however, was when fans held up their cell phones instead of lighters... That was just weird...well, that and not getting a contact high from all the weed smoke in the air...that's was just wrong...

My tickets to DT a few months ago were "$65." When I go to check out and pay, they're $96.55. $30 freakin dollars of add on fees. :mad::mad::mad: I'd rather wait in line like the old days, than pay some clowns junk fees. There are some groups I'd like to see, but wouldn't pay top dollar for close seats etc. since it's summer the concerts are non-stop now... I saw some $30 tickets to some shows and went to buy a couple. Same thing. $30 tickets end up costing $60!!! "Processing charge?" "Convenience fee?" Screw you!

Seriously... I'd probably go to 3 times as many concerts if these "fees" were not on every ticket. It's not that I'm broke, but I"m also not rich and when I can spend $30-$50 for myself or maybe some of these groups $60-$100 for my wife and I, I would do it often. When you add another $30 per person in fees, it because more than I want to spend for groups that I don't "love" or that I know are not in their prime, etc. Add $10-$15 to park, and suddenly just 3-4 concerts = an MT15!

Went to see Sevendust last night. They put on a helluva show. Didn’t get any pics mainly cause I’ve seen them a bunch of times and I have plenty of good ones, better than I would’ve gotten last night.

I’m fairly tolerant of people trying to get pics or video of favorite song or whatever, even if the constant phone holder uppers get a little annoying. Last night I witnessed a first. Dude in front of us holding up phone, playing a game! Like a first person shooter type game. Wtf is the world coming to when people go to a show and pay zero attention to the music? I don’t get it.:mad:

The new Sevendust is seeing quite a bit of play time for me. I am digging it. I'm glad you got to see them and that the show was a good one.

About the dude on his phone playing a game...Fork Knife isn't going to play itself. Competitive shooter on your phone...makes me sad. That's my real concern.

:p

If you want to see the absolute epitome of idiot audience, check out "crowdkilling".

What has happened to society?
Facepalm times 10!

I didn't see any phones.

Back