NGD! PRS SE Custom 24 Electric Guitar - Faded Blue Burst

charvel1975

Guitarist of Elliot Twist
Hello everyone! This is my first post! Well after having 2 brand new defective electric guitars; An Ibanez RG421HPFM Blue Reef Gradation and a Charvel ProMod DK24 HH 2PT CM Quilt Chlorine Burst, and having to return them, I decided to order the PRS SE Custom 24 Electric Guitar - Faded Blue Burst a couple months ago from Sweetwater and is my first new PRS guitar. Been playing for over 30 years and I'm in a 2 guitarist classic/hard rock cover band and we play 70's/80's classic rock/hard rock in standard E tuning.

The guitar is really nice, my other guitarist lowered the string height as low as he was able to get it but it feels like the string height raised since he did that a couple weeks ago, the pickups have a lot of bottom end and like blanket over the speakers sound to them. Right now at our practice spot I'm running it through my 95 Mesa Tremoverb head and Mesa 2x12 cab that's in my signature into a Behringer powered pedal board with a couple Behringer pedals: delay, tube overdrive and a Tc electronic corona chorus and line 6 g30 wireless and when I first got the PRS before my other guitarist lowered the string height, on the Mesa I had to lower the bass control on the Mesa on the red channel to around 9 o clock and increase the treble and presence on the red channel. Amp is running 8 Ohm. Debating on if pickup pole pieces and pickup height should be adjusted or should I just get the Seymour Duncan Hot Rod set (JB bridge & Jazz neck and get the PRS 5 way switch along with locking tuners? I'd like it too when I roll the volume control down not to lose brightness and not get muffled sounding.

Hello everyone! This is my first post! Well after having 2 brand new defective electric guitars; An Ibanez RG421HPFM Blue Reef Gradation and a Charvel ProMod DK24 HH 2PT CM Quilt Chlorine Burst, and having to return them, I decided to order the PRS SE Custom 24 Electric Guitar - Faded Blue Burst a couple months ago from Sweetwater and is my first new PRS guitar. Been playing for over 30 years and I'm in a 2 guitarist classic/hard rock cover band and we play 70's/80's classic rock/hard rock in standard E tuning.

The guitar is really nice, my other guitarist lowered the string height as low as he was able to get it but it feels like the string height raised since he did that a couple weeks ago, the pickups have a lot of bottom end and like blanket over the speakers sound to them. Right now at our practice spot I'm running it through my 95 Mesa Tremoverb head and Mesa 2x12 cab that's in my signature into a Behringer powered pedal board with a couple Behringer pedals: delay, tube overdrive and a Tc electronic corona chorus and line 6 g30 wireless and when I first got the PRS before my other guitarist lowered the string height, on the Mesa I had to lower the bass control on the Mesa on the red channel to around 9 o clock and increase the treble and presence on the red channel. Amp is running 8 Ohm. Debating on if pickup pole pieces and pickup height should be adjusted or should I just get the Seymour Duncan Hot Rod set (JB bridge & Jazz neck and get the PRS 5 way switch along with locking tuners? I'd like it too when I roll the volume control down not to lose brightness and not get muffled sounding.
I am no expert, but I do know that adjusting the pickup heights can make a HUGE difference! I just adjusted the height on my PS CU24 to my liking and I can't put that guitar down now!! So long and short is, before swapping pups, play with the height levels, it is easily done and just as easily undone!!!

I am no expert, but I do know that adjusting the pickup heights can make a HUGE difference! I just adjusted the height on my PS CU24 to my liking and I can't put that guitar down now!! So long and short is, before swapping pups, play with the height levels, it is easily done and just as easily undone!!!
Agreed... if you lowered the strings try lowering the pups.

We had practice last night and I decided to bring my Partscaster that's in my signature and compared to the PRS the Partscaster caster was more brighter. On the PRS with lowering the pickups do I lower them both to be level with pickup rings first? Is there a method with adjusting the individual pole pieces? I've never done this before

We had practice last night and I decided to bring my Partscaster that's in my signature and compared to the PRS the Partscaster caster was more brighter. On the PRS with lowering the pickups do I lower them both to be level with pickup rings first? Is there a method with adjusting the individual pole pieces? I've never done this before
Here are the specs that I have (from PRS). These are starting points and you mileage may vary! If you don't like something at these levels, change it in the direction of your preference!! Pickup information bold faced and colored below and I believe you will be in the single coil category!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Factory specifications for PRS guitar setup

First, adjust the truss rod relief.

Measure the distance from top of fret to bottom of string while depressing the string at the 1st (using capo) and last fret: Relief should measure .005 - .010" at the 8th fret.

Once the relief has been set, measurements for string height should be as follows: (measures top of fret to bottom of string):

Bass side string height 1st fret: 1.5/64”
Treble side string height 1st fret: 1/64”
Bass-side string height at 12th fret: 2.5/32”
Treble-side string height at 12th fret: 2/32"

We consider these measurements to be a "medium" action height. You can adjust to taste.

Pickup Heights and Pickup Height Adjustment

The pickups on your new instrument are fully adjustable by turning the height adjustment screws at each end of the pickup.
Humbucker/Soapbar Pickup Height Specifications

With the high and low E strings depressed at the last fret. Measurement is taken from the bottom of the string, to the top of the pickup bobbin or cover.

5/64” on the treble side of both pickups

Approximately 3/32” on the bass side of both pickups.

Singlecoil Pickup Heights Specifications:

With the high and low E strings depressed at the last fret. Measurement is taken from the bottom of the string, to the top of the pickup bobbin or cover.

Neck Position Bass side: 4/32”
Neck Position Treble side: 2.5/32”

Middle Position Bass side: 4/32”
Middle Position Treble side: 3.5/32”

Bridge position Bass side: 4/32”
Bridge position Treble side: 2/32”

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'd agree 1000% to try adjusting your set you have first. It can be a game changer. If they still don't do it for you I loved a set of JB/Jazz in my SE Cu24.

I personally don't use guides when adjusting pickups. I do it by ear from ground zero. I lower the pickups all the way to the body, pickup ring, or pickguard and raise or lower in 1/4, 1/2, or full turn increments on each side. If I turn the bass side, I turn the the treble side. A good tip is to mark the screw driver or use one with an identifying mark to let you know if you've gone 1/4, 1/2, or full turn. There's a point when a 1/4 turn will start to find the money spot. Once I have them adjusted to where I hear is best a couple days later I go back at them with fresh ears and small increments to finish the dial in.

Yes.. on my bottom heavy LP’s, I lower the bass side of the pickups and raise the treble side. Makes a huge difference. It would do the same for your PRS

Still messing around with pickup height on the 85/15s pickups in my 2021 PRS SE Custom. I play everything from Classic rock/hard rock/80's hair metal and some Metallica/Thrash rhythm & leads in a 2 guitarist covers band. I do use the volume knob here and there to roll back. I'm hoping for more versatility out of this guitar and was debating on getting the PRS S2 5 way blade switch installed along with the PRS volume and tone pots and the treble bleed circuit that helps retain clarity of high frequencies when rolling down the volume pot.

Still messing around with pickup height on the 85/15s pickups in my 2021 PRS SE Custom. I play everything from Classic rock/hard rock/80's hair metal and some Metallica/Thrash rhythm & leads in a 2 guitarist covers band. I do use the volume knob here and there to roll back. I'm hoping for more versatility out of this guitar and was debating on getting the PRS S2 5 way blade switch installed along with the PRS volume and tone pots and the treble bleed circuit that helps retain clarity of high frequencies when rolling down the volume pot.
Yes, the treble bleed cap will do the trick for keeping clarity when rolling down. Not a bad idea putting a USA prs volume knob in. They come with the bleed cap already attached. Keep in mind you may have to ream the hole bigger to fit a USA pot. I suggest buying a tapered hole reamer rather than using a drill, safer for your finish. They’re fairly inexpensive. I’ve done it with a drill too, just be cautious.

If your action seemed to “raise” after your buddy adjusted the string height, your neck probably settled or changed with the weather. A 1/4 turn on the truss rod will flatten it back out. You’ve got more upbow which makes the string height feel higher.

My advice: look at your pickup height first and make sure its in spec. I will tell you I think the 85/15(s) set is fine but a tad mushy, so you may wanna consider a swap down the road. SE pickups are good jack-of-all-trade pickups, but you may want something with tighter bottom end and with more output for what youre playing.

Next, I actually would advise not to change the pots and switch. This will not affect your tone nearly at all. I only suggest doing that if you plan to simplify the circuit or if you specifically prefer the audio taper of a different pot. You can solder in a treble bleed cap and that will take care of the treble roll off problem.

The action problem is probably your truss rod needing a tweak. The neck has likely increased in forward bow and needs to be flattened out. Before you do any adjustments, if you dont already have a set, buy a cheap set of feeler guages. Youll need it.

I disagree with Draconomics about changing the volume and tone. I’d do that first before changing the pickups. My SE 24 is fine with tweaked pickup height, and a new volume and tone control. Remember, there is a stated pot value (500k for humbuckers) and an actual value, plus or minus 10 to 15%. I put very high quality pots with the treble bleed in mine. The stated value was 500. The measured value is 550. The guitar now sounds as bright as I could want. You buy them as higher value pots, and it only costs a few dollars more.Try RS guitar works.

I disagree with Draconomics about changing the volume and tone. I’d do that first before changing the pickups. My SE 24 is fine with tweaked pickup height, and a new volume and tone control. Remember, there is a stated pot value (500k for humbuckers) and an actual value, plus or minus 10 to 15%. I put very high quality pots with the treble bleed in mine. The stated value was 500. The measured value is 550. The guitar now sounds as bright as I could want. You buy them as higher value pots, and it only costs a few dollars more.Try RS guitar works.

I agree. I used to be in the camp pots are pots (within reason) until I wasn't. RS guitarworks or core are my go to volume pots. If you get a Core volume pot it comes with a treble bleed. I've become very accustomed to the taper on those pots, but I'm a knob rider.

Does that set does the coil split thing well?

The JB splits very well. I've used it in several HSS strats over the years with good results. The jazz does as well. You can always use resistors like PRS to aid in coil splitting tones.

Edit- I should add I have this set in a HSH partscaster. That shows how I feel about them split.

I suppose I should clarify...I do find more of a tone difference when you change between different pot values (250k to 500k for example), beyond that at least in my own experience I never saw much of a difference personally when changing pots of identical values. I only hear changes in the audio taper. Now, I do like higher quality pots as oppose to some cheapo thing, you can feel a difference between say...a CTS and some unmarked crapola. I often do the same, when I change pickups out from stock ones I do make a new harness cause...why not? I'm gonna be in there so might as well.

Now that said, there is a change in tone. Anything in the circuit will for sure do something to the signal, just I think you really have to listen close to hear it and I wager the longer you have been playing the easier it is to hear. I can't hear it. Eric Johnson could hear it easily...shoot, he can tell what battery type you use in your pedals.

Funny thing about me is I dont use treble bleed circuits.I kinda like that high end rolloff when I turn down the volume. I'm just the oddball.

Are the stock 85/15s pickups in my guitar 4 conductor and already good to go if I get the PRS S2 5-Way blade switch?

Yes, but if you want to confirm unscrew the back control cavity cover and check it out.

Back