NGD A More Ordinary/Less Ordinary Singlecut

Rhythmisking

So, a while ago I had a '06 Singlecut Satin Artist -prettiest guitar Ive ever had- that I could just never bond with. It may have been the #7 pickups, but despite it's beauty and playability, it always seemed lifeless and unresponsive to play. So rather than going down my usual pickup switching rabbit hole, I decided to just sell it.

But I really wanted a Singlecut...

So this one pops up on reverb, much more of a 'Plain Jane' than my previous one, and not a guitar designed at all for my style of playing (98% clean jazz fusion), but a really good price, and something about it sort of appealed to me. So I (after my second cocktail) made a ridiculous lowball offer on the already good price. The seller countered asking less than $100 more. Gulp...

So here it is! A 2007 Tortoise Shell SC250

20220423-064653-resized.jpg

20220423-064352-resized.jpg

I really like it!

From what I gather, these were intended to appeal to the down-tuned metal crowd, but I'm finding the 250 Pickups to be much more responsive and articulate for both clean melody and complex chords than the #7 in my old Singlecut, and the guitar just feels 'better' in that weirdly hard-to-quantify way that makes certain guitars special.

Here it is with it's tortoise shell brother, a McRosie. That one now has WCR pickups in it, but I think the SC250 is going to stay the way it is. I'm really liking these pickups.

20220423-082334-resized.jpg

Last edited:
One of the thickest clear tones I ever heard was a 245 being played clean. It stopped me dead in my tracks, and I had to go back into the open mike to see what the hell it was. If it’s jazz for me, it’s a Hollowbody, usually an SE Hollowbody piezo.

Are the 245 pickups different than the 250 pickups?

I read somewhere that the 250 pickups were similar to the Tremonti pickups or at least the bridge is.

Back