NGD: '03 McCarty Spruce Hollowbody (pic added)

ericatunc

Hi All,

I picked up this 2003 McCarty Hollowbody, spruce/mahogany with piezo in a trade for my PRS SC245 ten top. I didn't really care for the color, but it just played so effortlessly that I didn't care. And the weight? It's so light that it scares me that I'll break it. (I'm 6'6, 250)

What a great guitar. I don't like the Archtop pickups, so I'm thinking about low wind lollars.

Anyone else got one of these?

Eric

GaLD3xQ.jpg

Last edited:
Your pic didn't work so I can't tell what it looks like but I have a 2001 and I love the thing more than any other axe I've ever owned.
That said, I would rethink your stance on those arch top pups, IMHO they are the best for that model, especially for clean tones.

Your pic didn't work so I can't tell what it looks like but I have a 2001 and I love the thing more than any other axe I've ever owned.
That said, I would rethink your stance on those arch top pups, IMHO they are the best for that model, especially for clean tones.

I play in a rock cover band (Foo Fighters, Maroon 5, Collective Soul, etc.). I think it just needs a little more...something. A little more bite, agressiveness, but not in a high output way. I have Lollars in my LP (low wind neck, regular bridge) and the lollars just seem to have a little more clarity, especially in the neck. This is why I was thinking of going with low wind in both.

The McCarty's test at 6.88k bridge and 6.14 neck.

Very nice guitar.
I have an archtop, but maple.
I think you will find the Lollars sound very different in the archtop than in your LP. Doesn't mean they won't still work for you though.
I love your amp stack.

Mine is also a 2001 but without the piezo option. Years ago I replaced the stock p'ups with Jim Wagner's Goodwoods and couldn't be happier.
Such a great guitar and versatile as well.

Jim

ytyzX5V.jpg

Nice one! I have an HBII and formerly was not a fan of the Archtop neck pickup. I switched to the Low Winds for a while. Bridge position definitely gained some bite. Middle position was heavenly. Neck pickup was an improvement, but it still felt a little too wooly for me.

My solution ended up being to swap the magnet to A5 and the baseplate to nickel silver on the Archtop neck pickup. I reinstalled it with the Archtop bridge pup and I love it now. Very clean and articulate tone, but capable of getting mean with a little gain.

I have an HB with no piezo - Same color, woods and pickups as yours. I also have an HB II with piezo and 57-08's. I happen to like the Archtops on the HB. They sound quite different from the 57-08's. some of the difference may come from the wood - My HB II is all mahogany. I love the light weight (but I am small in stature) No plans to change out the pickups - at least for now ;)
DSCN2610_zpsx0wvagvd.jpg

Back