New tuning buttons

What Will Happen Is The Good Old Parts We Know And Love Will Be Brought Back In The Near Future As Private Stock Only Options. All Of These "New" Features Are Driving Me Further And Further Away From Buying A New PRS Guitar And Sticking With The Older Versions On The Used Market. I Shouldn't Be Forced To Go Private Stock In Order To Get A Tremonti With A Fat Neck Like The Old Ones. I Shouldn't Be Forced To Go Private Stock To Get A Custom 24 With A Fat Neck And Or A Fixed Bridge. I Could Easily Do Without The Cheap Ass Looking Binding And Bone Nuts That Are Being Thrown On Nearly Every Guitar Now. YMMV But This Is The Road I Am Driving...LOL.

It does beg the question . . . maybe it just wasn't possible to fashion them without today's advances in manufacturing!
I Hear Ya...Those New Shaped Tuning Molds Are Incredibly Difficult To Create. Takes Decades! ;)

I Hear Ya...Those New Shaped Tuning Molds Are Incredibly Difficult To Create. Takes Decades! ;)
It cost money, for sure. I was looking into creating an item for Simon's shop made of moulded plastic. I had estimate after I moved on to other ideas.

It cost money, for sure. I was looking into creating an item for Simon's shop made of moulded plastic. I had estimate after I moved on to other ideas.
Everything Costs Money For Sure. Maybe Paul Was Saving For 4 Decades Or So? Sounds Legit...

I worked in the plastics industry many years ago. The place I worked at made all sorts of things from car parts to kids toys. You would be shocked at what it costs to repair or replace a mold that they CAD work has already been done for. Factor that development work in for something that is new and the price jumps up very fast.

Those are Phase iii locking with the new buttons... right?

My DGT
KfeaIEg.jpg

The PS JM:
Utx45al.png

The only difference is the buttons... I think...

Custom 24-08 from online retailer...

Screenshot-20240118-150647-Chrome.jpg

Screenshot-20240118-150626-Chrome.jpg

Unusual move, I would have thought long and hard about this one. Any suggestion that the guitars look or feel like a Gibson repels my thoughts. It really seems like a head of a company pushing his own agenda based on an outdated idea. I wonder what the marketing guys "really" think about this. A company like this one is usually full of brown noses, maybe PRS also has that.
"My way or the highway" OK, we get it.

I'm actually surprised a closer duplication of some bird wings....even though, supposedly these mimic the Cooper' Hawk, were not the new buttons. Some cool looking Eagle wings might actually be kinda cool. Kinda like the imperial buttons...but with wing tips. Another $100 on an expensive guitar already, doesn't seem out of place. Some gold "eagle" tuners with silver wing tips??
People are buying these bird truss rod covers....so...
Nothing different than a fretboard full of inlay....tree of life??? Etc.

I hate them. I don't like the look at all. And the fact they are molded on just completely kill it for me. I'll stay with the old Phase 3 tuners.
Looking at the pics in the post above, the buttons appear to be screwed onto the shaft. Just checked the images on the PRS site - the CU24 has them screwed in, and the McCarty has them molded to the shaft. Don’t know why they would go one approach for locking vs non-locking.

I'm just checking back into this thread--4 whole pages later from the last time I checked it--to see if we're still complaining about Paul's decision on the tuners of his own company's guitars. Yup, we sure are...
Except for these 3 guys... they said "keep those fugly things off my signature guitars!"

PRS Phase III Locking Tuners (with existing buttons) // No Changes
  • DGT (David Grissom Trem)
  • Mark Tremonti
  • Santana Retro

Custom 24-08 from online retailer...

Screenshot-20240118-150647-Chrome.jpg

Screenshot-20240118-150626-Chrome.jpg

Looking at the pics in the post above, the buttons appear to be screwed onto the shaft. Just checked the images on the PRS site - the CU24 has them screwed in, and the McCarty has them molded to the shaft. Don’t know why they would go one approach for locking vs non-locking.

I noticed the screws in the other post I quoted here. My guess is they launched the buttons on the McLaughlin model then the NF-53 and they did that with buttons that were held on with a screw on the standard Phase III tuner. Now that they have announced the change, they are in the process of switching over to the molded version and there will be a period of time where you see both until they run out of the buttons that are held on with a screw.

I noticed the screws in the other post I quoted here. My guess is they launched the buttons on the McLaughlin model then the NF-53 and they did that with buttons that were held on with a screw on the standard Phase III tuner. Now that they have announced the change, they are in the process of switching over to the molded version and there will be a period of time where you see both until they run out of the buttons that are held on with a screw.
What makes you think they'd ultimately phase out a screw-held button?

I'm just checking back into this thread--4 whole pages later from the last time I checked it--to see if we're still complaining about Paul's decision on the tuners of his own company's guitars. Yup, we sure are...

giphy.gif
He Can Make All The Decisions He Wants To...It Doesn't Mean We Have to Agree Or Like It. Without People Buying His Guitars His Decisions And Company Aren't Worth Much.

Now Granted, Most Folks Will Go Along To Get Along But I Am Not That Guy. Additionally, There Are Too Many Other Products Available For Any Buyer To Have To Settle And Not Be Completely Satisfied With What Their Hard Earned Money Gets Them. I Am Not A Fan Of A Lot Of The Recent Changes So I Will Stick To The OG PRS Stuff That Works For Me.

Darn, are we still talking about the tuner buttons? Some of you guys sound like Paul just spit in the face.

Spoiler alert: you will get used to it. You did with the Silver Sky; you will swallow this hard pill, too

Fuuuuuuuck :rolleyes:
I know... They're tuner buttons. If they work, great...

I can switch from tiny vintage Fender buttons to Gibson tulip buttons, to the wood buttons on my Tonare...

I'm sure I can handle these...

Back