New guitar... Just joined the family

I choose to consider it invigorating, its good to feel these kind of sensation with a new instrument.
You also have to consider the fact that you changed during these 2 decades and your taste in guitars changed too ;)

Well yes, but some things are just not meant to change... I was actually explaining to one of my colleague how I have indeed developed a preference for a certain type of guitars over the years and how my main LP was not conforming to this type but it didn't matter as I had grown as a guitar player with it and therefore it just felt right no matter what... It looks like that may not be the case anymore. I am not ready for this!!! Damn you PRS guitars!

Ok les filles !
The LP Studio is not quite 6 feet under yet. I had a wee exclusive session with it and I found a few sweet spots. First of all, thinking about it I don't think that I have ever really managed to dial in a sound that really suit the LP on the Amplug. When I finally got something inspiring enough, I started to play the main riffs and rhythm of 'Doin' fine' by Slash's Snakepit when I started to feel a cramp coming on in my left hand - No good. I am probably a bit too rusty for the fast pace of this song yet. Rolling back the tone control a bit and I found a sweet spot to play some of my own tunes I wrote a decade ago... Home sweet home! The HB sized Mississippi Queen neck pup was singing playing lead lines with the tone control rolled back a bit again. Any attempt at chord playing though sounded a bit mushy :(

Anyway, my LP Studio is not going anywhere far. Will it remain my main guitar... Hard to predict: always in motion the future is. But as a prelude to a tone review of the SE C24 I would say that the sound feels a lot more open / versatile then the LP.

Back on the SE C24 tonight. Man, these 2 guitars couldn't be more different. It's really odd, I haven't played the LP in the last 24 hours but I still needed a transition time to adapt to the PRS. It is not a direct switch. I have never felt this way between the Tele and the LP - probably because I still don't know how to play my Tele :D.

In any case the PRS has more clarity, The clean sounds are much more inspiring, the chord with OD are more articulate. It has a tendency to sound a bit thin for lead parts, yet my improvisations sound better - I am having loads of fun noodling around the A minor pentatonic all over the neck, basic but gratifying. It definitely doesn't have the thick screed of low mids I love my LP for, but guess what, it is the reason why I enjoy playing it so much. It is a completely different experience, I don't play the same way, I am certain this guitar will make me a better player.

The neck bucker with the tone knob on 0 produce a light fuzz which is very usable, and retaining good clarity for a fuzz. It takes Dom 7 chords nicely. I will definitely use this sound to write a song at some point. The tone control has kind of a break up point between the fuzz like sound and the more 'standard' sound. Once you have cleared the transition area the sound is very nice, not too trebly. Then someone was asking how the 85/15 S clean up when you roll off the volume... Well I would say pretty well. Espacially in comparison to my LP, which range seem to run from 10 to 5 and then nothing... I am starting to wonder if I haven't screwed up the wiring on this one - That will be the subject of another post no doubt to try and rectify.

OK, I'll post a few more responses on this thread once I have made comparisons with the Tele and then I'll stop banging on about it :p Promise!

20863561_1641172205956079_1710938273117029632_o.jpg
20863320_1641172202622746_2345899052992946456_o.jpg
20841725_1641172199289413_4910045090140531209_n.jpg
That looks awesome! Congrats!

I sure love that finish! Just goes to show that you can never predict what great stuff will emerge from the PRS factory, here or abroad.

OK, after that I'll give it a rest. I have played the Tele only once since I am back behind the fret. I had a rather big surprise... My SE C24 split sounds more tele-like than my Tele. I have rather beefy sounding pups in the Tele (Bare Knuckles Boss) and it sounds like it want's to be an LP. So here starts my quest for my Tele to regain the title of champion of telesound. But that is another story.

Suffice to say that it is now official, the PRS is my main guitar!

OK, after that I'll give it a rest. I have played the Tele only once since I am back behind the fret. I had a rather big surprise... My SE C24 split sounds more tele-like than my Tele. I have rather beefy sounding pups in the Tele (Bare Knuckles Boss) and it sounds like it want's to be an LP. So here starts my quest for my Tele to regain the title of champion of telesound. But that is another story.

Don't fight it, just let it be.

If you want a little thicker sound from the pickups, try raising the pickups slightly at first. Plan B would be to lower the pole pieces a little as well.

I got rid of my last Tele recently because the 594 with pickups split twangs so well and my CU22 with 85/15's split is even better.

If you want a little thicker sound from the pickups, try raising the pickups slightly at first. Plan B would be to lower the pole pieces a little as well.

Interesting. Inexpensive and reversible sounds like plans worth testing. Thanks.

I got rid of my last Tele recently because the 594 with pickups split twangs so well and my CU22 with 85/15's split is even better.

I didn't really want to go there but I was wondering if this was a possible outcome. I think I'll give the Tele a chance with different pickups before giving up on it.

I didn't really want to go there but I was wondering if this was a possible outcome. I think I'll give the Tele a chance with different pickups before giving up on it.

I could only see keeping a Tele if it was full vintage style with old school pickups and the stamped bridge plate. But that means it has limitations my PRS guitars don't.

But then again, I'm quite happy playing Roy Buchanan stuff on either PRS with the coils split.

I think my point is that I quite like the idea of having guitars that feel different to play so my fingers can be accompanied in different directions. I don't play my PRS the same way I play my LP, and I see the Tele as yet another avenue to explore.

I think my point is that I quite like the idea of having guitars that feel different to play so my fingers can be accompanied in different directions. I don't play my PRS the same way I play my LP, and I see the Tele as yet another avenue to explore.

You could accomplish the same thing with a Vela, a Singlecut, and a CE. They all feel different....just sayin' :p

Of course, the other half may have something not so kind to say/do to you if you buy all those. Frankly, it's a risk I'd be willing to take! :D

Plan C: Go for a thicker pick!

I am usually playing my SE C24 with a plectr'o medium lead standard, which is quite thin and soft. It is my go to pick. But for the LP Studio I prefer to use a plectr'o thick smooth jazz. I have just tried it on the SE for the first time and guess what, the sound thickened up a fair tad.

They say sound is in the fingers, well it is true, but it includes what is in their grip as well!!!

Back