New guitar... Just joined the family

I just had a brief run with the 'SE C24' plugged in the amPlug AC30 and was impressed. So far this wee headphone amp was only a way to extend playing time into the night but I actually enjoyed what was reaching my ears with this guitar. The middle position on the pup selector is definitely going to have a special place in my heart / ear. The volume control clean up the sound nicely when rolled back. It looks like my default sound will be with volume on 7, rolling up or down a few notches to suit the mood.

I couldn't quite remember all sections but playing Rooster from Alice in chains with both pups felt good. Starting split for the intro and lyrics and down to HB for the chorus and bridge (that's the section I will have to brush up on ;) I couldn't quite remember how it went).

The funny thing, I had a quick run with my wine red LP (main guitar until the 'break'), just off the sly, unplugged, and god it felt like wrestling in comparison with the SE C24. I have .11 in standard E on the LP. The PRS feels more like .09 and I tuned it in Eb.

It is actually quite fun to come back to guitar playing on a new guitar. I am wondering if I am not already a different guitar player than I was 5 years ago.

Come to think of it, there is one thing that is bothering me with the guitar... It is a very small thing, but there is a tacky wee bot of plastic at the end of the trem arm that just doesn't look very good and doesn't seem to fit in with the overall high quality feel of the axe. Any way it can be safely removed?

It did puzzle me in the shop but then I quickly forgot about it.

Is it the give away for a non-US PRS SE???

What make you say that? Is there a difference between PRS for the US market and other markets? Or is it just because of the timing of my posts you say that :) I bought it in the UK.

That limited run of special woods on the SE's was not available in the US

Great looking guitar. Best of luck. I just bought a new non-FSR SE Custom 24 in whale blue that I am very happy with. This guitar is especially valuable to me as it was delivered to me on the day my grandson was born.

Congrats on yours.

What make you say that? Is there a difference between PRS for the US market and other markets? Or is it just because of the timing of my posts you say that :) I bought it in the UK.
I think that you get the better SE`s, mate. The CR model, the exotic tops.....a few years ago there was a Tremonti Quilt in Natural...also a purple Tremonti...We pay less for the core guitars, so you get the better SE`s. The plastic tip on the trem arm can be removed with heat. I used a heat gun on a low setting. Hail wood (crazy parts) in Germany sells some nice wooden tips that you can put on to replace it. A few drops of super glue, and you`re good to go.do that, and you`ll never think of the trem again. You`ll just use it when it suits you.

Last edited:
I think that you get the better SE`s, mate. The CR model, the exotic tops.....a few years ago there was a Tremonti Quilt in Natural...also a purple Tremonti...We pay less for the core guitars, so you get the better SE`s. The plastic tip on the trem arm can be removed with heat. I used a heat gun on a low setting. Hail wood (crazy parts) in Germany sells some nice wooden tips that you can put on to replace it. A few drops of super glue, and you`re good to go.do that, and you`ll never think of the trem again. You`ll just use it when it suits you.

That sound good. I was actually thinking I could do with the metal left bare. I'll review later on if I want to replace it.

I have just tried to play with my Gibson Les Paul Studio - historically my main guitar - after playing for 3/4 an hour with the PRS... and it was a bit underwhelming. To be fair, both guitars are so different that I think I probably need a bit of time to acclimatise again to the LP. I haven't played this one in a few years. Whenever I found a tiny bit of time to noodle on a neck in the past years it has been with the Tele. Anyway, the Les Paul is tuned in standard E with .11. It felt like wrestling. Which is no bad thing per se but in comparison to the easy flow of the SE C24, it is just worlds apart. Then for some reason the volume felt quite muted in comparison to the PRS. I think next time I'll need to do have a complete session with the LP so I can setup everything for it to sound its best, instead of using the settings for the PRS and do a quick transfer as I did.

I have just tried to play with my Gibson Les Paul Studio - historically my main guitar - after playing for 3/4 an hour with the PRS... and it was a bit underwhelming. To be fair, both guitars are so different that I think I probably need a bit of time to acclimatise again to the LP. I haven't played this one in a few years. Whenever I found a tiny bit of time to noodle on a neck in the past years it has been with the Tele. Anyway, the Les Paul is tuned in standard E with .11. It felt like wrestling. Which is no bad thing per se but in comparison to the easy flow of the SE C24, it is just worlds apart. Then for some reason the volume felt quite muted in comparison to the PRS. I think next time I'll need to do have a complete session with the LP so I can setup everything for it to sound its best, instead of using the settings for the PRS and do a quick transfer as I did.

Don't be surprised if this happens again :)

I choose to consider it invigorating, its good to feel these kind of sensation with a new instrument.
You also have to consider the fact that you changed during these 2 decades and your taste in guitars changed too ;)

Back