New Faded Evergreen CU24 Artist

Baggysacs

Long time forum lurker here. I gathered a lot of information from this community (like pickup choice, guitar model features, etc.) that helped me pick out my new guitar. So first let me say Thank You to everyone here who participates in discussions.

Back in May 2016, I pulled the trigger and ordered an Artist CU24. I could have gone with just core, but I actually wanted 57/08's and I wanted it in green (which strangely is not as popular). So I ended up ordering the Artist CU24 with bare hog back, flame maple neck, ebony board, 57/08s and nickle hardware (yes, I actually did NOT see this guitar in my head as having gold or even hybrid hardware, even if it is considered the "premium" option that comes default with Artist packages). And I wanted a true "green" top -- so I struggled with the options on colors -- Jade, Evergreen, Trampas Green, Faded Evergreen were the colors I have seen on other PRSi (granted not all were available in the Artist Pack). Strangely the Faded Evergreen is not very popular, but it most fit what I was going for, so I picked it (and hoped it wouldn't be too "faded").

It was supposed to be 4 months, but evidently PRS was backed up (maybe someone has more insight into this). It ended up being just two weeks shy of 9 months before it arrived. All that waiting was immediately forgotten when I plugged in and started playing. What an amazing guitar!

As for looks: the color ended up being exactly what I had in my head, which is pretty amazing -- I did pass on to the dealer my thoughts on the color during the ordering, not sure if it made it all the way to the production. But either way it came out exactly how I would have wanted it (even if I had done PS and specified a custom color myself).

I have heard others say here that the pictures don't do these guitars justice -- they are so right! The 3d look of the grain and finish on this guitar is really museum quality. It is also hard to capture the colors with different light temperatures (it looks like FADED evergreen in the pictures I took in the sun, but it doesn't look like that in person, either in the sun or under lightbulbs -- strange).

Oh, and one more thing: that vanilla smell is intoxicating (I didn't know about that until it arrived). I swear, I'm going to think of PRS the next time I smell vanilla icing on a cake.

IMG_4466.jpg
IMG_4488-ps.jpg
IMG_4495-ps.jpg
IMG_4489-ps.jpg
IMG_4494-ps.jpg
IMG_4487-ps.jpg
236635-body-large.jpg
236635-angle-large.jpg
236635-detail2-large.jpg
236635-detail1-large.jpg

that must be my favorite green :D
Congrats she was well worth the wait I'm sure, I've been through this with my 513 but it took like 10 weeks
(I was lucky I guess) anyway, enjoy rockin'

Last edited:
As a lover of green guitars (especially green PRS!), I commend you sir! That came out awesome and I'm sure well worth the wait as you had mentioned! :D Killer top too, whew!

Very nice build. Green flame tops get my ears beating just a little faster! Enjoy it.

Awesome! Got me thinking I want something almost identical in color and wood-selection wise (flame maple neck, ebony board, hog body, maple cap), but a quilt maple top, for a P245 or SC HB type model (both now discontinued).

Which is probably good that they are no longer in production, as I can't really afford that right now. Next year, maybe...

Strangely the Faded Evergreen is not very popular, but it most fit what I was going for, so I picked it (and hoped it wouldn't be too "faded").
Faded Evergreen absolutely rules! Awesome Guitar, congrats :)
By the way, I've found about 10 Custom 24 in "standard" configuration (including mine) which are Faded Evergreen, additionally there were a couple Experience models last year with a rosewood neck - but that's about it. Not really popular - but I think that's the point!

I have heard others say here that the pictures don't do these guitars justice -- they are so right! The 3d look of the grain and finish on this guitar is really museum quality. It is also hard to capture the colors with different light temperatures (it looks like FADED evergreen in the pictures I took in the sun, but it doesn't look like that in person, either in the sun or under lightbulbs -- strange).
Totally true, getting the color and top right on a picture is insanely difficult. Mine varies from a really dark Evergreen to really faded and even changes the tone of the green a bit varying with the light intensity and temperature and maybe the POV. It's just awesome. :cool:

Oh, and one more thing: that vanilla smell is intoxicating (I didn't know about that until it arrived). I swear, I'm going to think of PRS the next time I smell vanilla icing on a cake.
You will luckily smell this for a while. My guitar is now a year old and still has a bit of the smell left. I wrote an email to PRS Customer Service about two weeks ago about something else and just forgot to ask where the smell comes from and if they maybe can sell it to me in a bottle :D
Maybe @Shawn@PRS can tell us? :)

Green guitars just sound better. Yours sounds fabulous!:)

Thank you all. I don't normally post products I buy, but this one needed to be shared. I should know, I've oogled too many others on this forum. Makes me wish I had a trust fund to fuel a PRS purchase frenzy...

Faded Evergreen absolutely rules! Awesome Guitar, congrats :)
By the way, I've found about 10 Custom 24 in "standard" configuration (including mine) which are Faded Evergreen, additionally there were a couple Experience models last year with a rosewood neck - but that's about it. Not really popular - but I think that's the point!
Thank you for that post! I actually had the whole idea of the color and then was searching for other faded evergreen's (very few out there) and found your post like 2 days before I ordered mine (I was stalking those pictures for a few days). Your pictures helped me pull the trigger on the color. I do wonder why very few have been spotted in the wild since it looks spectacular in person. Maybe the dealers don't think it will sell or PRS finds this color hard to make look correct so they discourage dealers from picking it??

You will luckily smell this for a while. My guitar is now a year old and still has a bit of the smell left. I wrote an email to PRS Customer Service about two weeks ago about something else and just forgot to ask where the smell comes from and if they maybe can sell it to me in a bottle :D
Maybe @Shawn@PRS can tell us? :)
Better than cologne. Sign me up for a bottle of that!

Thank you for that post! I actually had the whole idea of the color and then was searching for other faded evergreen's (very few out there) and found your post like 2 days before I ordered mine (I was stalking those pictures for a few days). Your pictures helped me pull the trigger on the color. I do wonder why very few have been spotted in the wild since it looks spectacular in person. Maybe the dealers don't think it will sell or PRS finds this color hard to make look correct so they discourage dealers from picking it??
Haha, you're welcome! :D
My pictures are still the top result when you search for "Faded Evergreen" images on Google (at least here), that's how few are out there in the wild. I think every faded color is a bit more difficult to make, but I don't see fading Evergreen to be more difficult than say Whale Blue or Blue Jean or whatever*. On the other hand a PRS Sales Rep told me once that there's a big difference in which color sells in which country, for example "nobody" in Europe wants a solid color but rather flashy, "tradidional PRS" colors, like Yellow, Green etc., while you actually can sell a solid white guitar in the USA.

By the way: Which country are you from? All standard Faded Evergreen Custom 24 (non-artist package etc.) I've found are in Europe and if I remember correctly, the color was actually a limited run just for the european market. That leaves just the few Experience models for the rest of the world... However, at least since model year 2016, Faded Evergreen is available as an Artist Package finish and we might see some more of it in the future :)

* imagine a Faded Northern Lights

Back