New 30STM Album - Heck Yeah and Heck YEAH

László

Too Many Notes
So, the new 30 Seconds to Mars album is their best, IMHO. Here's why you should buy it:

1. It's a really, really good, creative record by a talented group. These guys also work their butts off!

2. It was produced by Steve Lillywhite (U2, The Killers,The Rolling Stones, Dave Matthews Band, Peter Gabriel, Talking Heads, Morrissey, The Pogues, David Byrne, XTC, The Counting Crows, the list goes on and on). And the record sounds "right" as it should.

Steve is the nicest of guys, who gave a big opportunity to a young recording/mix engineer on this project, who happens to be my son!

3. Because my boy said, "Please tell your friends to get the record!"

Well, you guys are my friends, so I'm just sayin'...please get the record. ;)

And, if that ain't enough...party (!) bonus (!):

30 STM is on Kimmel tonight and Jamie's mixing the band for the show.

Heck yes I DVR'd it. He won't be on stage (he got to play onstage in NYC at one of the shows and on Sirius radio), but I'm not gonna miss hearing it. What if a semi-trailer crashes through the ceiling in my studio this afternoon and I have to go to the hospital? Had to DVR it.

Same thing with Conan tomorrow.

Last edited:
Bought & listening now - reminds me a bit of Muse. Dig Steve Lillywhite's work too.
I like Jared Leto. I also like when he got his arse kicked in Fight Club - brilliant scene/movie.

Les, you'd make a good salesman.....will make the plunge (though not really my kind of music). Kudos to your son.

Les, you'd make a good salesman.....will make the plunge (though not really my kind of music). Kudos to your son.

Thanks, man!

Thing is, I feel a special affinity for these guys; first of all, they're my son's friends, employers, and co-workers! He spent the last two years working with them on this record!

Second, I really like their work. And I like what I know of them as people.

I really want this record to succeed!

I will give it a purchase via iTunes. Maybe there's pictures of Dita in the digital booklet?!

So, the new 30 Seconds to Mars album is their best, IMHO. Here's why you should buy it:

1. It's a really, really good, creative record by a talented group. These guys also work their butts off!

2. It was produced by Steve Lillywhite (U2, The Killers,The Rolling Stones, Dave Matthews Band, Peter Gabriel, Talking Heads, Morrissey, The Pogues, David Byrne, XTC, The Counting Crows, the list goes on and on). And the record sounds "right" as it should.

Steve is the nicest of guys, who gave a big opportunity to a young recording/mix engineer on this project, who happens to be my son!

3. Because my boy said, "Please tell your friends to get the record!"

Well, you guys are my friends, so I'm just sayin'...please get the record. ;)

Purchased! I would have picked it up anyway, since you asked so nicely:biggrin:.

Your comments about everything sounding "right" matches my experience. There is a lot going on between the vocals and the various instruments, but the tracks never sound too busy. I'm looking forward to my next few listens to dig into some of the subtle nuances.

A big "great job" to everyone involved - and a special congrats to your son, Les!

Thanks for the good words:cheers:, guys!!

Meantime, I was digging around on the band website trying to find where they're going on tour, since Jamie is going with them. And I found this picture -- evidently there was a digital broadcast of an acoustic show yesterday in LA. That my son forgot to tell me about! That he played on and sang backup!

It's funny, if my daughters have something going on, my wife and I hear all the details.

My son, different story! I'd have probably dug the broadcast.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
A different Kind of music for those with a different taste

[h=4]Return to Forever[/h][h=5]Romantic Warrior (1976)[/h]
Not only the best fusion album, but one of the best in any genre!
[h=4]Mahavishnu Orchestra[/h][h=5]The Inner Mounting Flame (1971)[/h]
Much prefer this one to "Birds Of Fire", in that is much more raw & un-polished, but very powerful!
[h=4]Bruford[/h][h=5]One of a Kind (1979)[/h]
With an all-star cast like this, how can you go wrong? Dave Stewart is a god!
[h=4]Santana[/h][h=5]Caravanserai (1972)[/h]
Oh, yes, Santana can do fusion! IMO, their best album!
[h=4]Jeff Beck[/h][h=5]Wired (1976)[/h]
Although "Blow By Blow" gets most of the accolades, I find this album to be much more exciting! Jan Hammer certainly adds to the festivities!
[h=4]Return to Forever[/h][h=5]Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy (1973)[/h]
[h=4]Niacin[/h][h=5]Time Crunch (2001)[/h]
Dennis Chambers, Billy Sheehan, John Novello-'nuff said!
[h=4]Dixie Dregs[/h][h=5]What If (1978)[/h]
Steve Morse & the boys combine fusion, prog, country, & rock into a palatable stew!
[h=4]Jean-Luc Ponty[/h][h=5]Imaginary Voyage (1976)[/h]
The title track alone makes this a worthy inclusion-simply lovely!
[h=4]Weather Report[/h][h=5]Mysterious Traveller (1974)[/h]
Probably the best of the WR albums, Zawinal & Shorter are monsters!

PFL, I'm not sure what that list has to do with this thread, but I have all of those albums on vinyl from the old days, except the Bruford one. Excellent choices.

I'm guessing that this wasn't a hijack and that you clicked on the wrong thread.

Last edited:
it was - My bad butchered your thread - sorry

No worries! I figured that was it.

Besides, the list of music is fantastic stuff. And Romantic Warrior blew me away when I first heard it, and still does!

No worries! I figured that was it.

Besides, the list of music is fantastic stuff. And Romantic Warrior blew me away when I first heard it, and still does!

There is one missing- Bitches Brew - this is one change the way that i see music.Sorry again and by the way i also have them in vinyl yes more than half century of music :beer:

There is one missing- Bitches Brew - this is one change the way that i see music.Sorry again and by the way i also have them in vinyl yes more than half century of music :beer:

Ha, I have that on vinyl, too. Love that record! I learned a ton from Joe Zawinul, and how sometimes not playing a thing is the best way to go from Miles.

Ha, I have that on vinyl, too. Love that record! I learned a ton from Joe Zawinul, and how sometimes not playing a thing is the best way to go from Miles.

Ok now that I completely ruined your thread got one more for you - Billy Cobham- Spectrum

So back to 30 STM and my son, check the credits for recording engineer and the mix credits! Woo! (I promise to stop braggin' on my son now).

Back