New PRS Guy Show & Tell: SE DGT & SE 594...and now SE Silver Sky!

Don't worry you're not alone on birds. I like em but just as happy without them and prefer not to have them on some guitars. The moons are cool and wish more models had them.

Same here. I would prefer the brush-stroke birds, but willing to tolerate the standard birds because of the quality and playability otherwise.

...and he's back. Sent the SE Silver Sky back. I actually liked that guitar. Intonation was good, tremolo stays in tune with 3 springs but the fretwork was so horrible I couldn't deal.

The SE 594, it reminds me a bunch of a CR8 Les Paul I had. Cloud 9 '58 LP only with better frets. :) I love the neck & neck Pickup, I like the DGT Bridge pickup a bit more, more muscular for sure.

Not that anybody asked! :)

The first time I played a PRS was a natural finish CE standard from the 90's. The only way to describe playing it was buttery. Prior to that I was unaware guitars could feel so luxurious to play. Plus I was playing it through a genuine vintage fender twin and it was magical. That one had the dot inlays and wasn't so ornate with the birds and such.

What I found really amazing about PRS is how much of that feel they put into the SE, I bought the CE22 and soon after an SE and could tell a difference but that fundamental playing experience was there.

I think the prices for the core PRS are going a bit nuts, I can understand some people's gripes with the brand. But all it takes is just one to pull you in and you're one of us for life haha. I keep raving about the Paul's SE, maybe check it out. Super versatile master-of-many type guitar.

Glad you are enjoying yourself with these instruments, everybody I talk to who has played or owns a SE DGT holds them in high regard.

I received a new SE DGT today which I purchased from Wildwood Guitars. Wildwood did a perfect setup on my guitar…it arrived perfect with no need to do any adjustments of any kind. I played it for a couple hours late this afternoon. My first impression is that it punches well above its class…it actually compares well to my Core Paul’s Guitar and my Core Studio Guitar. The SE DGT is everything the numerous YouTube reviewers said it was.

An American made Core PRS guitar is expensive because of the amount of time highly skilled craftsmen put into the creation of each guitar and the cost of the high quality components used. The SE guitars are currently less expensive because of the trade-offs that are made in the component quality (good instead of great) and the lesser amount of shilled craftsman level labor used to manufacturer each guitar and the hourly cost of that labor. Recent increases in SE guitar costs are related to upgraded component quality and the amount of higher-cost craftsman like labor that is needed to make the newer SE guitars which are more complex. The DGT for instance requires more craftsman level work to ensure it meets David’s high personal requirements for a signature guitar with his name on it. I find $1,000 to be a very fair and reasonable cost for the SE DGT because of its build quality and the tones achievable…as I said in my earlier post, the PRS SE DGT punches well above its class in my opinion. Buying an SE from a dealer that offers a free set-up with your choice of string gauge makes a big difference too…I have bought both Core and SE guitars from Wildwood Guitars and the set-up they did on both classes of guitars was equally superb.

Last edited:
An American made Core PRS guitar is expensive because of the amount of time highly skilled craftsmen put into the creation of each guitar and the cost of the high quality components used. The SE guitars are currently less expensive because of the trade-offs that are made in the component quality (good instead of great) and the lesser amount of shilled craftsman level labor used to manufacturer each fuitar and the hourly cost of that labor. Recent increases in SE guitar costs are related to upgraded component quality and the amount of higher-cost craftsman like labor that is needed to make the newer SE guitars which are more complex. The DGT for instance requires more craftsman level work to ensure it meets David’s high personal requirements for a signature guitar with his name on it. I find $1,000 to be a very fair and reasonable cost for the SE DGT because of its build quality and the tones achievable…as I said in my earlier post, the PRS SE DGT punches well above its class in my opinion. Buying an SE from a dealer that offers a free set-up with your choice of string gauge makes a big difference too…I have bought both Core and SE guitars from Wildwood Guitars and the set-up they did on both classes of guitars was equally superb.
Yeah no doubt, that goes a long way having it set up first or actually playing it first even better. I bought mine sight unseen, it's coming along though. Glad you're loving yours, sweet guitars. I did purchase a guitar from WW before, super nice people, didn't love it or the "set up" but that may be more about me than them and maybe some miscommunication involved somewhere.

Thanks Jason! Yeah not such a great recording no doubt, just kinda winging it, having fun playing humbuckers though, been a while!

Your playing and the tone of your guitar sound fantastic! The DGT SE was the gateway drug that got me into PRS guitars!

Your playing and the tone of your guitar sound fantastic! The DGT SE was the gateway drug that got me into PRS guitars!
Thanks! I can see it! I stalked you on here...3 DGTs! :) I can see that also. I would like to check out a Core to see what it's all about..

Just a new guy spouting some PRS content after a few weeks with the guitars:

SE Silver Sky - 6lbs. 10oz. Piano Black/Rosewood. Position 4(Neck/Middle)alone & I guess Position 2 is worth the price of admission here. I mean, they can describe it however they want but let's be real. It's their version of a Strat. Plays in tune, you can get the action down low also. Neck feels great. I have gone back & forth & back and forth floating the Trem. To me...it does sound better with it set up as it came with the back of the Trem making contact with the body. You can hear/feel it on the high E string, a little more solid, not as pingy this way. I didn't notice it as much on the Grey/Maple one I had so that floated. I don't have the claw screwed down quite as tight I don't think, the Trem's making contact but for the only thing I do warbling some chords here and there, it feels like it's floating a bit even though it's making contact. It does make the bar point up a little higher this way though. Yes, I wish it had the 6 screw trem instead. At these prices, I can see getting another and putting a Bridge Humbucker in it. Okay the tuners, they're fine. I don't need locking, these hold tune fine but they are kind of cheezy looking. YMMV of course :)

SE 594 - 7lb 3oz. This guitar is fun to pick up & play unplugged. It's balanced feeling. It's acoustic-like in a way. The neck, it's a handful but really comfortable. Plays in tune, go as low as you like pretty much. It ain't a Les Paul, it's a little bright I mean you can EQ it of course. I'd like to try some other pickups in it, I don't think I love the bridge pickup but I dunno, amp/pedal dependent of course and that's today. The guitar is spankier sounding than the DGT. I don't know if it's the two piece bridge, lighter weight, binding etc. It rattles a little bit more, not in a bad way, not like anything's loose, it's just different. It's fun to play though.

SE DGT - 8lbs even. Okay, I wanna love this guitar. I go back and forth with it. It plays great, the neck's a little skinny but I can get used to that. You can bend away on this thing as low you like & there ain't no fretting out. I love the frets. The split sounds, they're okay. The bridge split is kind of interesting, it almost sounds like two pickups split together(it's not though). The bridge pickup is honking, it grunts. It has more mids than the 594 Bridge pickup, not as bright also. The 594 is more fun to pick up & play unplugged though but plugged in the DGT is certainly convincing and they are electric guitars after all. :) It feels more solidbody than the 594, I know, weird, maybe it's just the weight, the body is heavier for sure. It also looks thinner than the 594 but I didn't put calipers on it. The tuners, so so. I did sort out the tuning thing though, The combination of nut sauce and just wanking on it, good to go although I could see replacing the Trem.

Bottom line: I got to go try some Cores. I got enough Birds though, even though they're the SE Birds. I'm good with Birds. :)

Edit: >>>I picked up an SE Silver Sky, it wasn't the plan to get three of them. I added my Silver Sky blatherings in the latest post if anybody cares. hahaha<<<

New guy show & tell...know some of you from TGP I'm sure.

Confessions, I've never been a PRS guy. I dunno, maybe it's the birds. I'm not sure why. I bought into some of the stereotypes about the guitars & sound associated with them whatever those may be. I may even still believe some of those but like anything else though you have to take each guitar separately, right? I bought a SE Singlecut sumthin'sumthin years ago, played okay but it didn't sound that good, kind of lackluster.

Fast forward...just bought a SE DGT. Dang, really nice guitar...love the frets. It plays fantastic. These frets should come on SGs. I wanted the Gold Top with Moons but they didn't have one, so the veneer Tobacco Burst top with Birds it is. I still really don't love the Birds but they're okay. :) There's a few little tuning issues but getting it dialed in. The G hangs up a bit but I'll get the nut sorted out. I mean Phil McKnight's video, he's jacking the sh*t out of that Trem and it's coming back pretty dead on. I hate PRS so much, I just bought a Vintageburst SE 594 a few days after the DGT, just to see what that's about and danggit if it ain't nice. Really plays in tune, that's goes a long way. I like the feel of the tuners on the 594 more. The bridge is odd but that's only from only really seeing Gibson Tune-o-matics I guess. The frets don't feel that different, they got it down. The neck's fuller for sure but I like it and the pickups sound good not as hot...all stuff you guys know.

I'm tempted to find a Core DGT.

Anyway some geeky stuff if anybody pays attention to that stuff. I can't find my freaking scale, the DGT is right at 8lbs with me holding it on a digital scale
and the 594 feels less for sure. I like it.

DGT:

Bridge 8.82/5.90
Neck 7.49/4.63
Both 4.05/2.60

594:

Bridge 7.75/5.28
Neck 6.96/4.27
Both 3.67/2.35

Anyway...that's my story.

Nice

SE DGT - 8lbs even. Okay, I wanna love this guitar. I go back and forth with it. It plays great, the neck's a little skinny but I can get used to that. You can bend away on this thing as low you like & there ain't no fretting out. I love the frets. The split sounds, they're okay. The bridge split is kind of interesting, it almost sounds like two pickups split together(it's not though). The bridge pickup is honking, it grunts. It has more mids than the 594 Bridge pickup, not as bright also. The 594 is more fun to pick up & play unplugged though but plugged in the DGT is certainly convincing and they are electric guitars after all. :) It feels more solidbody than the 594, I know, weird, maybe it's just the weight, the body is heavier for sure. It also looks thinner than the 594 but I didn't put calipers on it. The tuners, so so. I did sort out the tuning thing though, The combination of nut sauce and just wanking on it, good to go although I could see replacing the Trem.
What I have found is that the tones obtained with the SE DGT are very dependent on the positions that the volume and tone controls are set to, one’s playing style and expression, and the amp choice and its settings; more than most other guitars I own. However, once one finds the sweet spots this guitar really sings and has voices that can be very effectively used with just about any musical style (I’m not into metal so I don’t know if it is a good guitar for that musical style) and illicit just about any emotion from one’s audience that is desired. It does take a quite a lot of practicing with your guitar and amps/effects (I use a Fractal Axe Fx modeler) before all the right combinations of settings and playing styles are found…but once they do the tones are amazingly good!

Last edited:
Later that day…so I returned the DGT. I liked it okay, there was just something about it that I thought there might be another one out there that I’d bond with more. I can’t put my finger on it. I do want to try a DGT Core though. According to my calculations, I should love the DGT model but it just didn’t happen with this one. I was thinking of returning the 594, I hadn’t played it in about a week, went down to my basement, took it out of the bag, it’s still about perfectly in tune, rings beautifully. I mean there’s no way you could find a better guitar for this amount of money, subjective as that is. Forget the money, It’s ridiculous how nice it is. So I’m keeping 2 out of 3, the SE 594 and SE SS, not bad.

That is all.

Here's the SE Silver Sky if anybody...sorry it's on Facebook so beware if you don't want to follow the link, totally understand!
One is just the iPhone in the room of a mic'd amp, hearing the amp and also Pro Tools through the monitors through the iPhone and the other vid is hearing it mic'd up and mixed stereo although there is a Ventris verb mono first screwing it all up but it had the tremolo...hahah:)

Congrats and Welcome.

As you can see you can’t just have one. They are very addictive guitars.
So let’s go shopping, what are we buying next??? :D

Hah, I’m one to talk …. Im waiting on a new SE SAS to be delivered right now. Should be here soon it’s out for delivery. Yay me

Congrats and Welcome.

As you can see you can’t just have one. They are very addictive guitars.
So let’s go shopping, what are we buying next??? :D

Hah, I’m one to talk …. Im waiting on a new SE SAS to be delivered right now. Should be here soon it’s out for delivery. Yay me
Yay you...enjoy!!!

Back