New PRS Guy Show & Tell: SE DGT & SE 594...and now SE Silver Sky!

Mondoslug

Edit: >>>I picked up an SE Silver Sky, it wasn't the plan to get three of them. I added my Silver Sky blatherings in the latest post if anybody cares. hahaha<<<

New guy show & tell...know some of you from TGP I'm sure.

Confessions, I've never been a PRS guy. I dunno, maybe it's the birds. I'm not sure why. I bought into some of the stereotypes about the guitars & sound associated with them whatever those may be. I may even still believe some of those but like anything else though you have to take each guitar separately, right? I bought a SE Singlecut sumthin'sumthin years ago, played okay but it didn't sound that good, kind of lackluster.

Fast forward...just bought a SE DGT. Dang, really nice guitar...love the frets. It plays fantastic. These frets should come on SGs. I wanted the Gold Top with Moons but they didn't have one, so the veneer Tobacco Burst top with Birds it is. I still really don't love the Birds but they're okay. :) There's a few little tuning issues but getting it dialed in. The G hangs up a bit but I'll get the nut sorted out. I mean Phil McKnight's video, he's jacking the sh*t out of that Trem and it's coming back pretty dead on. I hate PRS so much, I just bought a Vintageburst SE 594 a few days after the DGT, just to see what that's about and danggit if it ain't nice. Really plays in tune, that's goes a long way. I like the feel of the tuners on the 594 more. The bridge is odd but that's only from only really seeing Gibson Tune-o-matics I guess. The frets don't feel that different, they got it down. The neck's fuller for sure but I like it and the pickups sound good not as hot...all stuff you guys know.

I'm tempted to find a Core DGT.

Anyway some geeky stuff if anybody pays attention to that stuff. I can't find my freaking scale, the DGT is right at 8lbs with me holding it on a digital scale
and the 594 feels less for sure. I like it.

DGT:

Bridge 8.82/5.90
Neck 7.49/4.63
Both 4.05/2.60

594:

Bridge 7.75/5.28
Neck 6.96/4.27
Both 3.67/2.35

Anyway...that's my story.

Last edited:
Both? Lucky!

I understand not being a PRS guy. I'll maybe get trashed for this, but I've always been put off by the ornate wood grain. It's only lately that I've come to not care what a guitar looks like.

Now I look at what I think a guitar can do for me, and in that respect, the 594 looks pretty beautiful.

Congrats and welcome! Don't worry you're not alone on birds. I like em but just as happy without them and prefer not to have them on some guitars. The moons are cool and wish more models had them. As you've already found out PRS are addictive and multiply like Gremlins slowly taking over the innocent little Gizmos on the wall.

Both? Lucky!

I understand not being a PRS guy. I'll maybe get trashed for this, but I've always been put off by the ornate wood grain. It's only lately that I've come to not care what a guitar looks like.

Now I look at what I think a guitar can do for me, and in that respect, the 594 looks pretty beautiful.
Hey there @douga ...thanks, I'm with ya. It's funny, people may be put off by the 10 top thing yet if they were looking for a '59 Reissue...they'd be looking for the nicest top they could find probably. :) I dunno nuthin'. Thanks for taking the time!
The grain and the birds don’t make the guitar better or worse, just different.
True words! Thanks @dogrocketp
Sweet guitars!!!
@Aahzz - Thankin' ya! I think part of it is just liking playing through humbuckers again, been mostly a Tele for a while.
Nice guits! If the SE's are doin' it for ya', I say stick with 'em!!
@Moondog Wily yes! going to try - there's a honeymoon thing going on no doubt but these are nice.
Congrats and welcome! Don't worry you're not alone on birds. I like em but just as happy without them and prefer not to have them on some guitars. The moons are cool and wish more models had them. As you've already found out PRS are addictive and multiply like Gremlins slowly taking over the innocent little Gizmos on the wall.
Thanks @SinSir. Yeah really, especially the SEs at this price. The Silver Skys at first at I was like, "Seriously?" but now, okay I better see what these are about. :) Thanks y'all!

Welcome to the fold!

I never understood why people have such a dislike for PRS guitars. ALL of mine have birds. It is a requirement for me. I never see them because I am not a fretboard watcher. I use the side dots when I occasionally look down. I absolutely love the figured maple tops and various finishes they come in. This comes from some things I was around frequently through my childhood. I completely understand my connection with it.

Beyond the flashy parts of PRS guitars, they play and sound great. I have been a fan ever since I stared seeing them show up on stages in the late 80's. It took me a good while to be able to afford my first one but I still have it and very much love that guitar, as well as all of the other PRS guitars I now own. I think if more people just closed their eyes and played these guitars they would change their mind about them if they were being objective about what they were feeling and hearing.

If you are not a fan of the birds and flashy tops, there are PRS guitars out there that have dots or moons and solid color finishes.

Welcome to the PRS crowd in all its iterations. I got my DGT on a trade with a Gear Page Forumite. its a core model in Cherry Burst. I think it's the best PRS guitar they make given it's versatility tone-wise with the coil taps and the trem bar (the 594 is a tremendous update of a classic dual HB maple over mahogany recipe as well).
467NRLw.jpg

Welcome to the fold!

I never understood why people have such a dislike for PRS guitars. ALL of mine have birds. It is a requirement for me. I never see them because I am not a fretboard watcher. I use the side dots when I occasionally look down. I absolutely love the figured maple tops and various finishes they come in. This comes from some things I was around frequently through my childhood. I completely understand my connection with it.

If you are not a fan of the birds and flashy tops, there are PRS guitars out there that have dots or moons and solid color finishes.

The reason I took an irrational dislike to PRS guitar back in the day is that I thought I was paying that premium price for ONLY a flashy top and some neck bling. Because the guitar was so expensive, I never bothered to try it. I wish I had. If I'd gotten over my prejudice, my first PRS would now be almost twenty-five years old. As it is, my first PRS isn't even twenty-five days old.

New PRS guy here as well.. we must be on the same wavelength, I avoided PRS back in the day because of cost and lack of name recognition, if it didn't say Fender on the headstock I wasn't interested.. just purchased the same two guitars but started with the 594 and then the DGT! (Followed shortly by a CE and SE SAS.. lol) I've been bitten badly:)

Charles

The reason I took an irrational dislike to PRS guitar back in the day is that I thought I was paying that premium price for ONLY a flashy top and some neck bling. Because the guitar was so expensive, I never bothered to try it. I wish I had. If I'd gotten over my prejudice, my first PRS would now be almost twenty-five years old. As it is, my first PRS isn't even twenty-five days old.
I am really glad that I was able to buy my first one when I did. It took years to get there. However, the year I bought the first one, I bought others. It was a great year and I had some really good bonuses come in. Those guitars are 17, almost 18 years old now and still playing and sounding great. I take really good care of my stuff so they still look almost new. I still feel very lucky to have them and very appreciative and glad I was able to get them.

Welcome to the fold!

Beyond the flashy parts of PRS guitars, they play and sound great. I have been a fan ever since I stared seeing them show up on stages in the late 80's. It took me a good while to be able to afford my first one but I still have it and very much love that guitar, as well as all of the other PRS guitars I now own. I think if more people just closed their eyes and played these guitars they would change their mind about them if they were being objective about what they were feeling and hearing.

Hey @JasonE , that's what makes the world go around. I get it for sure. I'm getting along with the Birds just fine :) but I probably will pick one up with Moons eventually. No doubt, it's hard to be objective sometimes. They play great though. Thanks for the reply!

Congrats on a couple of great guitars. Welcome to the forum. Watch out, the slope is slippery. Or, in other words, what's next??? :p
No kidding @bodia, I'm lookin' & thanks!
You picked a couple of good 'uns! Thanks for the pickup info; I'm one of the nerds who likes that stuff.

I thought the PRS two-piece bridge was weird at first, but it's so comfortable I can't stand a regular ol' Tune-o-matic anymore.
Hey @garrett thank you! I think it's seeing the brass color with the silver...but I got over it! :)
Welcome to the PRS crowd in all its iterations. I got my DGT on a trade with a Gear Page Forumite. its a core model in Cherry Burst. I think it's the best PRS guitar they make given it's versatility tone-wise with the coil taps and the trem bar (the 594 is a tremendous update of a classic dual HB maple over mahogany recipe as well).
Beauty there @doublescale1, congrats - appreciate the welcome. Yeah, I started scanning all over seeing if there's a Core DGT I could maybe do.
@douga...never too late right?!
New PRS guy here as well.. we must be on the same wavelength, I avoided PRS back in the day because of cost and lack of name recognition, if it didn't say Fender on the headstock I wasn't interested.. just purchased the same two guitars but started with the 594 and then the DGT! (Followed shortly by a CE and SE SAS.. lol) I've been bitten badly:)

Charles
Absolutely @5Springer - you got it bad/good! Funny, running into a few people who are picking these two models up as their firsts two. Congrats!
I am really glad that I was able to buy my first one when I did. It took years to get there. However, the year I bought the first one, I bought others. It was a great year and I had some really good bonuses come in. Those guitars are 17, almost 18 years old now and still playing and sounding great. I take really good care of my stuff so they still look almost new. I still feel very lucky to have them and very appreciative and glad I was able to get them.
Very nice @JasonE. Yeah I've almost picked one up several times over the last gazillion years but just never went through with it. I bet their beauties.

Getting through the honeymoon period a bit.

Random thoughts, fretwork is so good on these things.
The SE DGT, definitely feels more "solid body-like" than the 594.
The 594 seems more semi-hollow-ish even though it's not, just a little airier feeling/sounding.
I think it's the neck, not so much the body on this even though it is lighter than the DGT.
The neck is a chunk of wood for sure, resonates.
The DGT, tuning is not quite there yet, the G is getting hung up, not on the trem, gotta be the nut.
Open strings in tune and then sometimes seems out even just at the 2nd fret but I'll get it!

I really like the 594 neck pickup...clean but the DGT neck also, I mean it's overdriven more for sure, the whole guitar is a little gnarlier. Getting used to the Trem. I've always used 3 springs with Fender & Wilkinson VSV50 6 screw Trems, tempted to try it here. I'm not a divebomber though & this warbles enough with 4 springs as is I think with 10s on it. I tried 9.5s on it but it seemed a little too thin. Anyway, they both play great although they still need to be dialed in some.

Decaff!

...and he's back! :)

So...I put 9.5s on the SE DGT, the G wasn't getting hung up as much I don't think but it was a little thin sounding although I'm not scared of light strings. I stuck some 10's on and left the 16 G on, seems to be okay. I'll get it sorted out.
I really, really like the neck pickup on the 594, I think more so than the neck on the DGT...I think!

Can we talk, the gig bag...okay I mean that's a pretty lame gig bag but I don't' care, guitar is cool. Still that bag is pretty lo fi. YMMV of course!

Okay then!

Back